We had booked this trip months in advance to make sure that we would have a nice "colonial" experience in Williamsburg since this would be our first time there. On the web page there were no pictures of the euphemistically called "Providence Wing" so it caught us completely by surprise when we were told at check-in that we were not to stay at the hotel itself.
When I saw the building I felt like in a horror movie, approaching "Bates Motel". I could not believe my eyes.
Our pretty pricey room was in a seventies style bungalow (NOT attached to the hotel) that smelled bad when entering, had a problem with the air condition in the entrance, a worn out carpet as well as scuff marks on the stairway walls.
Our room must have been the worst in the building. It sported two twin beds falling out of a closet that were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in (including sleep over air matresses). The furniture was run down, the carpet worn off and soiled (looks like there were some unrevmovable stains). The air condition was so noisy that we had to switch it off and open the balcony door to be awakened by the plopping of the tennis balls on the court (yes, we had the view of the tennis courts).
Upon entering I called the front desk requesting a different room. Because of the holiday weekend I was informed, there would be nothing. This I thought was very unfair taking that I had booked this trip months ago. They were supposed to call back the next morning which they did not.
The indoor pool as well as the gym were under renovation, so we could not use the "four star" facilities either. At the outdoor pool there was a sign that children were not allowed to swim there but had to go to another pool (which I could not find).
After that we switched to the Williamsburg Lodge which at least was clean.
- Also Known As:
- Williamsburg Inn-Colonial Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg
- Williamsburg Inn-Colonial Williamsburg Hotel
- Williamsburg Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Gracious Country Estate-style Inn situated in heart of historic district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity and LHW so you can book your Williamsburg Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.