“Good time, would stay again.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg East (Busch Gardens)

You added Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg East (Busch Gardens) to your Saves list
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg East (Busch Gardens)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   7135 Pocahontas Trail, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book early and Save 15%
Ranked #39 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
Virginia
“Good time, would stay again.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

My husband, our 4 year old and myself stayed at the hotel on Sunday June 10th and Monday June 11th. We had a good experience. We were there for the sole purpose of visiting Busch Gardens. We were about a five minute drive to the entrance to the park (on the same road as the hotel). I had read a few people on here note that the "weird egg product" on the breakfast bar was undesireable. I have to admit I tried it both mornings and I found it to be good. The first day they had eggs and sausage, the next day it was eggs and bacon. The rest of the items remained the same on the other days, fruit (bananas, melons), yogurt, oatmeal, wafflemaker, 3 cereals, bagels, bread, coffee, pastries and juices. I toasted a bagel each day and had a bacon/sausage and egg sandwich. My 4 year old ate the eggs cut up and enjoyed them along with her fruit loops and yogurt. I've stayed at hotels before where the dining area was crowded and it was not the case here. Breakfast began at 6:30 and was over at 10:00 and we were there between 8 and 8:30 both mornings and it was not overcrowded. The breakfast bar ladies were nice and chatted with my daughter. Housekeeping was friendly also. The hotel does not offer discount tickets to Busch Gardens but we had ordered them online before arriving anyway. We were on the 1st floor (which disappointed my child) but when we looked out our window we were actually not on ground level. The hotel is on a hill and I guess there is parking under the building. We parked in the regular lot beside the hotel and thought they were not busy because of the lack of cars, but I assume everyone else was in the garage. Also as we were unpacking the car we noticed a train across the road from the hotel. This in no way affected our sleeping/trip. I was concerned at first but I never once heard the train after that one time. I read up on hotels before booking this one and some places offer shuttle service to Busch Gardens. Parking is $13 a day at the park. I did not think it was worth it to have a shuttle take me to the park for the difference in the price of the hotels. We also liked having our car available so that we could go to McDonalds down the street and avoid the high park food prices for some of our meals. And on a side note, our daughter loves Sesame Street and she met a bunch of the characters while there. So if you have a little one who will be mesmerized by them, you must go! It's worth every penny. Oh and Santa is at the Yankee Candle Store on Richmond Rd year-round (call first for exact times, their website isn't reliable). He was very friendly and spent a lot of time talking with her. I will definitely stay here again when visiting Busch Gardens!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank VirginiaNutjob
CISWilliamsburg, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg East (Busch Gardens), responded to this review, June 15, 2012
Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We are all glad to hear you & your family enjoyed your stay. I think I remember talking to you about Santa at the Yankee Candle store.... Glad you made it over there. If you liked that Santa you have got to make plans to visit us in December and go to Christmastown at Busch Gardens, it is amazing. I will be sure to share your comments with everyone & we hope to see you again soon.

Potomac, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

The rooms are fine, the staff seemed nice, but the hotel needs some improvement to reach 4 or 5 stars. First, the breakfast: missing were fresh fruits other than melon, and they served some weird egg product that smelled yucky and neither my wife nor I were game to try. There is a pool, but it's not heated--give the weather in this part of the country, this means that the pool is only going to be a proper temperature, especially in the morning, about eight weeks a year at most. The floor in the bathroom was a bit sticky (yuck!) and I also noticed that whoever did the tiling left large gaps between the tile and the wall (the hotel should sue whoever did this, it's terrible workmanship). This is primarily just an aesthetic concern, but it cheapens the experience. Finally, the room has one of those very noisy wall a/c heat units. I didn't mind the white noise, but it bothered my daughter. And it's always MUCH better to have a thermostat than to have to fiddle with a wall unit. If the hotel would fix half of these things, it could go up to four stars; all of them would leave it verging on five.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay in Williamsburg. We are sorry that you weren't completely satisfied with the visit but do thank you for your specfic suggestions. We are always looking for ways to improve and truly appreciate the feedback. We hope you will keep us in mind if your travels ever bring you back to the Williamsburg area.
Forest, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed one night while doing a concert @Bruton parrish. Comfortable clean & convienent.

• Stayed May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
It was our pleasure hosting your church choir. We are glad you enjoyed your visit and thank you for the great review. We hope to see you again !
Kinston, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

My wife and I had an ok stay at the hotel last December with some of her family members visiting from out of town. The accomodations are nothing special, but the proximiaty to area attractions in addition to the affordability enticed me to make the reservations for the family there. I reserved rooms a couple weeks in advance, so I was getting a 50 something dollar rate. The lobby was very cramped in the mornings, but my family and I did the best we could to leave early for sightseeing. The breakfast was ok, but it did not match they hype from the reviews. As a matter of fact, my family and I had to nearly break and set up a table ourselves in an adjoining dining room, because the seating in the main area is so inadequate. Youngsters frequently play football and soccer in the covered garage area and there is no security to prevent such activities. It is better for you to park you vehicle away from the undercroft area and walk to the hotel lobby in the drenching rain than have your vehicle dented and windshield knocked out. That is the only parking area for the hotel and it sits next to the basement of the hotel and it is nowhere near the hobby. I am not big on convenience, so I did not mind dragging suitcases and belongings through the basement of the hotel to the elevator shaft, by which you have to reach the hotel rooms on the above floors. I was thinking about staying at the hotel again at the end of July, until I saw how much they jacked up the prices. I was quite shocked at the jump for the average accomodations. For the new prices of the place from around 90 to 120 dollars for the place, you would think that they at least had an indoor pool, which they do not! As a consumer in the middle of the worst economic situation since the Great Depression of the 1930's, you should not allow yourself to be price-gauged for meager accomodations. There are countless other hotel options with much better amenities for this hotel's unreasonable asking price. If you are on a budget and you are trying to pinch pennies, there are also countless other options as well. For example, I was checking out a Microtel in Newport news a few miles away for 46 bucks a night, after I saw the price explosion at this hotel since last December. I am all for saving over 30 dollars a night for just driving a few extra miles.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
We appreciate you choosing our hotel for your families visit to Williamsburg in December and for taking the time to share your thoughts with us. We are sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and that you won't be staying with us in July. If you are interested I would love to discuss your previous visit and possible options for July. I can be reached at (757)229-6900.
Shelley Miller
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

The rooms were clean not over crowded close to attractions just a nice stay. I stayed there 3 days and went to kings dominion for 2, after the nice stay a country inn we left for kings quarters, I wish I would have just stayed at country quarters instead of leaving to go to kings dominion. I would warn anybody planning a family vacation to busch gardens and kings dominion GO to busch gardens you won't regret most inportant DO NOT STAY AT BEST WESTERN KINGS QUARTERS, stay at country inn and enjoy all the attractions williamsburg has to offer most of all busch gardens take your time at least 3 days so you don't have to rush it is worth it.

• Stayed June 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars
CISWilliamsburg, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg East (Busch Gardens), responded to this review, May 20, 2012
auburn, pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

The new renovations at this hotel are amazing! We thought we loved coming down to visit friends and family before, but this has made it so much better. As a family we have always stayed in this hotel. WOW! Is all I can say! Well worth the money!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 17922kate
CISWilliamsburg, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Williamsburg East (Busch Gardens), responded to this review, April 28, 2012
THANK YOU !!!! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate you noticing the changes we have made and there are more coming. So come see us again soon !
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. First 2 were fine. 3rd night three buses of middle schoolers from California arrived at 11:30 PM(spring break week). We were staying on the third floor and were woken up by a complete mele of unsupervised kids running and yelling throughout the hallway. Initially both my wife and I tried to quell the disturbance but it took three security guards to finally get them in their rooms. We had to jam stuff in our ears to finally get some sleep. When bringing this matter to one "Kelvin" at the front desk in the morning I was met by a completely unsympathetic and unapologetic ear. Wouldn't change our room and acted as though this was normal for a hotel during spring break. On the bright side, the other staff were very friendly. The breakfast was very good with different entrees each morning. The room was clean and well maintained daily by the housekeeping staff.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family