“Yes, I went back for the 6th time” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Stay & Get Free Tickets
Ranked #12 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
New York
“Yes, I went back for the 6th time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Anyone who knows me knows that I love Williamsburg. As a history buff - especially of early American history- this place is just perfect. So I found myself booking a room at the Woodlands for the 3rd time in a row and on my 6th visit.

This time I went in March (I usually go in the mid summer) and found the staff and accommodations just as fantastic as the other times. I expected to find the hotel a bit dead in March but it was just a busy as ever. The hotel provides a free breakfast buffet that has a wide assortment of items (also changes daily) such as pancakes, cereal, yogurt, and sausages. I wanted to go to Huzzah (worth checking out BTW!) the restaurant located on the property but found it closed every time we attempted to go. It had odd hours when we were there: Tuesday -Sunday 5:00-9:30. A quick look at the website shows that they're open on Mondays currently (April 2013) but I'm pretty sure the last time we were there (July 2012) they were open at night until 11pm. Since everything closes so early in Williamsburg (my only complaint) I liked that Huzzah was open a bit later. Doesn't seem to be the case though anymore unfortunately.

Anyway, Woodlands has the visitor's center on the property, where one can visit the gift shops, take the trolley into the historic area, or walk to the historic area (make sure you stop at Great Hopes Plantation!). Inside the hotel itself is another smaller gift shop where the staff is very friendly though she sadly mentioned that Colonial Williamsburg has been doing a lot of budget cuts, a gym, and access to games for the family.

I think next time I visit Williamsburg I'll try to get a room in one of the colonial houses in the historic area just to mix it up a bit but Woodlands is certainly still on my list of places to stay in the area - great rooms, food, and staff.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

620 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We had a little difficulty finding the check-in area upon arrival. Well-maintained building and grounds. Easy access to visitors center and historical sites by utilizing shuttle or walking path. We rarely had to wait longer than 5 minutes for a shuttle. Continental breakfast was convenient and included healthy options (fresh fruit!) as well as food our children (ages 10 and 3) enjoyed. It was very busy as we were there during the week, so there were many school groups, but I think the staff did a good job of keeping everything filled. Tables could have been wiped down a little faster between groups. We did not get to use the pool (I forgot to pack swimsuits...bad mama), but enjoyed the playground area and mini-golf. We ate at Huzzah's (on-site restaurant) for dinner twice. Staff and manager were attentive and friendly. We enjoyed our meals enough to go back a second night; selections included less pricier options and kid friendly foods. We chose a regular room with 2 double beds. It provided enough space for our family of four, and was clean and comfortable. Several things that made me a very satisfied customer...we arrived about 2 hours prior to check in time, but the staff was able to find us a room quickly so we could get over to the historical area in time to enjoy some of the last events of the day. Our room didn't come with a refrigerator, but staff was able to place one in our room for us. We visited as part of a family wedding, and needed a late check out because of some event scheduling; our request was granted expediently with no extra charge. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Millsboro, DE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I wish we had half-stars for reviews as I'd probably knock this down to 3 1/2 instead of giving it 4. We booked a suite and it was roomy enough and we would stay there again, but there are some things that were not so great. For the first hour, only the bedroom was cool and we called the desk and were told to go into the closet and look up high for a switch and turn the blower on in the living room. We did that and the temp was fine but how would anyone know to DO that? I'm sure some have just suffered with the too-hot living room if they didn't call and ask about it. As others have said, the ventilation system is NOISY...worse than many places we have stayed. They need to do some work on the bathrooms...tile grout starting to be stained and no exhaust fans so the mirrors fog up quickly. There is a flat-screen TV in the living room but not in the bedroom and the TV in the bedroom worked poorly but we rarely use that one, so we didn't complain about it. The maid service was very good and the room was cleaned well and at a reasonable time for us. Now......here is where the real annoyances were. The hotel check-in area is not easy to find (as others have said). I'm sure something could be done to improve the signage as many had the same complaint. What isn't told to you ahead of time is that the Woodlands shares its pool AND its breakfast room with someplace called the Cascades Motel (which is on the same grounds). I'm sure this results in the pool being too crowded in the summer. We found during the weekdays, the breakfast room situation to be pretty bad. It seems school groups use this place for field trips. I'm not sure if they were staying at the Woodlands or the Cascade but the breakfast room on weekdays was mobbed with kids who were, by nature, loud (having a good time with their friends) and also not being very neat (also typical of many kids when they are in a group). I don't know what, if anything could be done about this, but just beware if you are going during the school year on a weekday. Breakfast will be crowded and far from relaxing.....and the floor will be messy, too! On Sunday, it was so much better! As for the positives...the grounds are nicely-maintained and it is very convenient to the Colonial Williamsburg Visitor Center and the buses to the historic area, Jamestown, and Yorktown. There is also a bus to Busch Gardens. The restaurant on site serves lunch and dinner but is closed at least one day a week. We ate dinner there. The service was very good and 3 of us had good food but the BBQ chicken happened to be very tough and not very meaty. (I'm thinking it was just a stroke of bad luck and probably is very good most times.) We'd eat there again as it is very convenient. Overall, we'd stay there again but we'd eat breakfast as late as possible on days school groups were there (as early didn't seem to help)....and this time, we'd know quickly how to get to the check-in area! Oh.....easy walk to the Great Hopes Plantation area being constructed and not too bad of a walk to the historic area if the weather is nice and you enjoy walking.

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Woodlands is a great place to stay for a good price.
Very nice staff, very convient
Would definitely stay there again. , to everything, shuttle bus that stops every ten to fifteen minutes to get you where you want, and a nice free breakfast everyday with different selections each day.
The room s were well maintained and the staff was always very helpful.

Westport, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

This facility is convenient, friendly, well-serviced, and well-worth the visit. My family and I stayed here when visiting Colonial Williamsburg and the College of William and Mary. The rooms are relatively spacious, the outdoor pool is clean and well-maintained, the staff is very friendly; the modified continental breakfast is ample and tasty.

We were able to get to the Colonial Williamsburg locale easily, and any information that we needed about C.W. was rapidly provided.

If given the opportunity to return to Williamsburg, we would certainly consider staying here again.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Layton, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed for two nights with our teen daughters. Great location--close to the Visitor Center & Shuttles to Williamsburg and Jamestown. We also enjoyed dining at Huzzah's the night we arrived after a full day of driving and sight-seeing. So nice to be close to the hotel. Our teens loved the continental breakfast. It gives the hotel extra value.

Our only complaints: thick, stiff foam pillows that didn't yield to one's head. The pull-out sofa, while fine for younger kids, was pretty uncomfortable for teenagers to share. A little more attention to sleeping comfort would make this a really great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed here for two nights starting on 4/12/12. The staff was excellent, always greeting you with a smile and at check-in we received all kinds of information and tips regarding Williamsburg. The location is very convenient, just a short walk to Williamsburg (8 mins) or you can hop on the free shuttle next door at the Visitor Center. They also have a shuttle to Busch Gardens which was very convenient (no paying for parking) and they have another to Jamestown. Breakfast was the only down side to the entire stay. It was very crowded and noisy, you could usually find a seat if you were willing to share table with some other people. . It's probably less crowded during the week, but then again maybe not, it is a popular tourist destination. As for the food itself, they had eggs both days and they were horrible. The ham was good on Saturday, but the sausage the next day was greasy. They had pastries, fruit, yogurt, toast and cereal also. After tasting the eggs, I stuck with the cold items. Other people have mentioned the Standard room beds are small and they are. If you are here for a weekend they are fine for two people, I mean how much time are you going to spend in your room. If you are there for a longer stay you may want to consider an upgrade to a suite for more room and a bigger bed.

Room Tip: If you are here for a weekend the standard rooms with the double beds are fine for two people. The...