Anyone who knows me knows that I love Williamsburg. As a history buff - especially of early American history- this place is just perfect. So I found myself booking a room at the Woodlands for the 3rd time in a row and on my 6th visit.
This time I went in March (I usually go in the mid summer) and found the staff and accommodations just as fantastic as the other times. I expected to find the hotel a bit dead in March but it was just a busy as ever. The hotel provides a free breakfast buffet that has a wide assortment of items (also changes daily) such as pancakes, cereal, yogurt, and sausages. I wanted to go to Huzzah (worth checking out BTW!) the restaurant located on the property but found it closed every time we attempted to go. It had odd hours when we were there: Tuesday -Sunday 5:00-9:30. A quick look at the website shows that they're open on Mondays currently (April 2013) but I'm pretty sure the last time we were there (July 2012) they were open at night until 11pm. Since everything closes so early in Williamsburg (my only complaint) I liked that Huzzah was open a bit later. Doesn't seem to be the case though anymore unfortunately.
Anyway, Woodlands has the visitor's center on the property, where one can visit the gift shops, take the trolley into the historic area, or walk to the historic area (make sure you stop at Great Hopes Plantation!). Inside the hotel itself is another smaller gift shop where the staff is very friendly though she sadly mentioned that Colonial Williamsburg has been doing a lot of budget cuts, a gym, and access to games for the family.
I think next time I visit Williamsburg I'll try to get a room in one of the colonial houses in the historic area just to mix it up a bit but Woodlands is certainly still on my list of places to stay in the area - great rooms, food, and staff.
- Also Known As:
- Woodlands Hotel And Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
- Woodlands Hotel Colonial Williamsburg
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Contemporary Motor Inn set amid landscaped grounds, adjacent to the historic area; near Amtrak station; 17 miles from airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cheap Tickets, Orbitz, Expedia, AAA Travel Services, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.