“some people don't want bad coffee or marked up maps” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Holiday Family Package
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Boise, Idaho
“some people don't want bad coffee or marked up maps”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here for three nights because of a conference at the Williamsburg Lodge (couldn't get a room at the Lodge). I found the staff at the Woodlands very friendly but that professional friendliness did not always transfer into real help.

When giving me a map of Williamsburg, the front desk person proceeded to mark it up with all sorts of suggested routes to take, places to eat, etc. I'm sure that she is trained to do that, but I hate it when people mark up a perfectly good map. Perhaps staff ought to be trained to ask if the guest wants the map highlighted, written on, etc.

I am not a coffee drinker and other tea drinkers will appreciate my complaining about hotels who heat their water for tea in the same machines they make their coffee. You get horrible water which makes the tea taste like bad coffee. When I asked staff for simply water boiled in a pot on a stove, they were perplexed and no one could help me. Evidently in a very large hotel, there is no way to simply boil water without it being done in a coffee machine? I finally asked if there was a microwave anywhere in the hotel; that I would boil my own water. This never occurred to them.

The hotel seems to cater to large groups and doesn't quite know how to deal with individual professionals.

The front desk was helpful when upon being given a room directly across from the elevator, I asked to have one much further away. I have been burned badly in the past by near-elevator rooms noise, so this was important. But it perplexes me why when rooms are available, they hand out rooms near an elevator first. The hotel had lots of senior citizens; perhaps the front desk thought everyone wants a room near to an elevator.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

We had a great stay here. Williamsburg Colonies have always been one of our favorite places to visit and it still is. We had four beautiful days here and we attended quite a lot of the programs and spent some of our time revisiting places around Norfolk and Virginia Beach and Portsmouth. Our room was clean and comfortable and we had dinner on site at Huzzah and loved the veggie pizza there.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were upgraded to this hotel because of a problem in the hotel we booked. All of the staff were extremely friendly. Our room was clean and spacious. The pool was very nice. Minature golf, volleyball and pingong were available free to the guests. The historic visitor center is on site. Free breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs, (they were ok), hard boiled eggs, bagels, pastry, muffins,fruit, cereal hot and cold, grits, juice, coffee and milk. Staff in breakfast area polite, and there was never a empty food dish. Hotel is very large and it is easy to get lost.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor, would have preferred the first floor. Pool on first floor, and less o...
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed here for a conference at the Williamsburg Lodge. The suite was large and comfortable. The location was close to the colonial areas and restaurants despite being further than the Lodge. The only thing I would change would be to connect the light fixtures to light switches.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Pros: Hotel is very clean and the housekeeping staff could not have been nicer. Real sweethearts. The rooms are spacious and comfortable with newer TVs and plenty of storage. Continental breakfast was fine. The hotel is also close to the Visitor's Center and a comfortable walking distance to the Revolutionary City. In good weather, it's a pleasant walk.

Cons: The stairways smell like smoke. Guests are smoking there to avoid going outside even though it's a smoke-free facility. The hotel should address this. Also, cell reception in the hotel is terrible so I used the room phone to make a dinner reservation only to find out that they charged me for the local call. Frustrating.

Finally, I asked the front desk for an aspirin at 8:30pm one night (hotel store was closed). The gentleman at the desk said he could not give me one but that the store in the CW Visitor's Center was open and could sell me somee. I walked about 100 yards to the Center only to find out a) they were closed and b) they don't sell aspirin anyway (I checked the next day). What the man at front desk did NOT tell me was that the vending machines right in the hotel sell aspirin. Why didn't he tell me that as opposed to sending a woman off on a wild goose chase well after dark on the resort property? Again, frustrating.

Even though it was a decent experience overall, if I visit Williamsburg again, I might try another hotel.

Strasburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Just finished a 3 night stay at the Woodlands Hotel and Suites in their King Suite.

Pros - Room was clean, microwave and mini fridge were a plus. Bathroom was large and towels were plush. King size bed was comfortable. Continental breakfast was a plus. Close to the visitor's center with it's easy transportation to the historic district.

Cons - The scrambled eggs were the worst I've ever had at a hotel continental breakfast. The biggest con for our famliy was that the Queen size sleeper in the living room area was horrible. Thin mattress and you could feel every spring. My daughter's friend managed to sleep on it but it was very uncomfortable. And that's why we won't be coming back here.

Room Tip: Queen size sleeper's mattress is thin and you can feel the metal springs.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Arriving, the first thing I experienced was the caring and hospitality. Know I know what Southern Hospitality is all about. Everyone was concerned that my stay was an enjoyable one. They seemed to go out of their way to make my stay a success.

The seemingly new room was super clean and amenity rich. I appreciated having high speed internet in my room (I was able to connect my laptop with a hotel provided cable). I didn't use the iron and ironing board or hair dryer but it was nice to know it was there in my room. Large flat screen TV was excellent!

Also, cleanliness was a concern with the staff (just short of being an obsession). I really appreciated that! And the bed was just right (not too soft nor hard) so I slept really well.
And the wake up call by phone helped me to get up on time for a long day of touring without being jarred out of bed!

The surroundings were really beautiful and very lush and green. Nice pool too. Very convenient to the Colonial Williamsburg Visitors Center, just a short walk away. Plus the food was excellent for breakfast (included in the room rate) in a family style buffet (nice mix of meat, eggs and cereals).The nearby restaurant Huzzah! was tasty, moderately priced and convenient.

Finally, being picked up and dropped off at the train station topped off a great vacation visit.
All in all I would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants to spend a comfortable time at Colonial Williamsburg at a moderate price...

Room Tip: Mini refrigerators are available if you ask for them. This helps if you bring in food or beverage fr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Been to Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg? Share your experiences!