I stayed here for three nights because of a conference at the Williamsburg Lodge (couldn't get a room at the Lodge). I found the staff at the Woodlands very friendly but that professional friendliness did not always transfer into real help.
When giving me a map of Williamsburg, the front desk person proceeded to mark it up with all sorts of suggested routes to take, places to eat, etc. I'm sure that she is trained to do that, but I hate it when people mark up a perfectly good map. Perhaps staff ought to be trained to ask if the guest wants the map highlighted, written on, etc.
I am not a coffee drinker and other tea drinkers will appreciate my complaining about hotels who heat their water for tea in the same machines they make their coffee. You get horrible water which makes the tea taste like bad coffee. When I asked staff for simply water boiled in a pot on a stove, they were perplexed and no one could help me. Evidently in a very large hotel, there is no way to simply boil water without it being done in a coffee machine? I finally asked if there was a microwave anywhere in the hotel; that I would boil my own water. This never occurred to them.
The hotel seems to cater to large groups and doesn't quite know how to deal with individual professionals.
The front desk was helpful when upon being given a room directly across from the elevator, I asked to have one much further away. I have been burned badly in the past by near-elevator rooms noise, so this was important. But it perplexes me why when rooms are available, they hand out rooms near an elevator first. The hotel had lots of senior citizens; perhaps the front desk thought everyone wants a room near to an elevator.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Colonial Williamsburg Hotel, the Woodlands Hotel & Suites is located adjacent to the historic area and set amid landscaped grounds in a tranquil, park-like environment. The Visitors Center is short walk away and offers complimentary shuttle service around Colonial Williamsburg, tickets to programming and events, costume rental, multiple gift shops, and a cafe serving sandwiches, soups, snacks, and beverages. Hotel amenities include free Wi-Fi, a business center, fitness center, complimentary full breakfast, an outdoor heated family-style pool, free mini-golf, and a variety of summer family activities and games. The newest addition is a pirate ship themed Splash Pad complete with water cannons, double bucket water dump, ground sprays, a mini slide, and a wading pool for our youngest guests. Huzzah! BBQ Grille, a family-friendly, full-service restaurant is just steps away and is open 5pm - 9:30pm daily. (Tip: be sure to try the slow-cooked BBQ and let the kids make their own pizza!) Travel info: easy access to I-64; 20 minutes to Williamsburg/Newport News International airport; 5-6 minutes to Amtrak train station ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, AAA Travel Services, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Despegar.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Woodlands Hotel And Suites - Colonial Williamsburg
- Woodlands Hotel Colonial Williamsburg