“Very Nice experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg

You added Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg to your Saves list
Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   310 South England Street, PO Box 1776, Williamsburg, VA 23187   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Holiday Getaway Package
Ranked #9 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Lancaster, PA
“Very Nice experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

I just returned from 2 nights at the Lodge. I was in the newer building. They have a special going on for $ 129. night including a historic pass ( might be winter rates). I got $ 20 bucks off that for being a supporter of CWF! You really cant beat that deal! It is close to the hotels spa and, and historic area. The Friday night seafood buffet was very good. The staff all seemed to be friendly to me. The room was nice sized and very comfortable, the bath large clean and with nice ammenities. I am glad I stayed there, and didn't have to move my car until it was time to go. I would recommend this to any traveler to WIlliamsburg, especially at that price. I had not been there in 12 years, and the Historic Site gets better and better, What great atmosphere. Those that say it is "Disneyfied", don't know what they are talking about. You can't have millions of visitor a year without some "disneyfication" to keep thing organized.

• Liked — Enerything
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
northport, n y
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2009

Great location for a Williamsburg trip but its not what it used to be. To begin with the service is awful. There were mistakes with my reservation that never got fixed even upon checkout! And the staff was annoyed with me for making a fuss over it. (I was being DOUBLE charged!!!) The powers that be decided to close the 18th century dining pubs with no notice to guests. They claimed it was bc of the economy but every restaurant we tried to get into had a wait. Ridiculous.Please call before you leave to see if these restaurants are open- they make the whole experience authentic. I just got a bad feeling about the place after they did that. Also ,one night we dined at the Inn . It has really gone down hill. A $600 for 4 and we had to flag down the wait staff like we were at Chilis.It was fine dining now its overpriced dining.

• Stayed January 2009
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Frederick, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2008

The day before leaving for the Lodge I read all 60 reviews. It made me nervous a little but I vowed to post our experience. Here is the brutal truth about our family's experience. We stayed in the South Guesthouse for 2 nights, ajoining rooms. Yes, the floors creaked. We didn't care. Yes, the bathroom was small. It was clean and functional though. The rocking chairs in the rooms were cool. The electric thermostat was great. The friendlliness of the staff at the hotel was hit and miss. The front desk people were very helpful. Ms. Shaft was very good. We got a little run-around about changing tickets for a show but Judy at the hotel's ticket office was great. She took care of everything for us. She was able to book a carriage ride for us. In the past folks had to go into the park to book those. The breakfast buffet at the hotel was so-so. The restaurant's staff were the least friendly during our stay. My wife was angered by their indifference to us. I didn't care so much until I poured a small carton of milk on my cereal that was 9 days past due. Chunks came out! When I checked, other milks were a day past due. Unacceptable. Our server said she'd show the kitchen what they did. I wish I showed a manager instead. Richmond Road has several restaurants within minutes which I recommend over the hotel resaurant. Based on the location, room, and service we would stay at the Lodge again without hesitation. We will not eat at the restaurant again however.

• Liked — Location!!!
  • Disliked — Poor service/food in restaurant
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2008

Came for the Grand Illumination with my husband..booked online at www.ColonialWilliamsburg.com. Upon checking in, the utterly disinterested clerk had the correct name but all other info was wrong. So I went to the business center and printed out my confirmation. "Oh. That's not one of our confirmation numbers." He asked if we booked it on a hotel site; yes, I said, the Colonial Williamsburg website. He was not, shall we say, oriented to excellent customer service. I had to tell him to FIGURE IT OUT.

I can see that others who have stayed here have had good rooms. Keep this in mind: you must avoid the "standard" $250 room and, above all, make sure you are not placed in the South Guest Rooms. They are essentially DORM ROOMS with no insulation or soundproofing--a sad surprise after a long renovation of the property. A slab of drywall is all that separates these rooms and, although charming, the bathroom is the size of a postage stamp. You can hear the people in the next room having a normal conversation and doing what people do in hotel rooms. If you have extremely quiet neighbors, you will thank your lucky stars, but no one is *that* quiet. Needless to say, the time prior to sleep and the early morning are as noisy as...well, as a dorm. Absolutely unacceptable for the price and I'm still astonished as I write this. I've never stayed in any hotel this noisy--not even a Motel 6! I complained and was credited some money, but this is outrageous. We will NEVER stay here again. What a disappointment for something I planned in June and was so looking forward to. We’ll try for the Williamsburg Inn next year, which is older and most likely better built.

• Liked — Proximity to the historical area
  • Disliked — Ridiculous amount of noise; the requirement to purchase cables for "free" internet access
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Winchester, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

We stayed at the lodge December 13th for one night. We live in Winchester, VA and decided to go down to Williamsburg for a nice overnight getaway and experience the holiday season in the colonial area. We were not disappointed. The hotel was lovely and the holiday atmosphere was very warm and inviting. There was caroling in the lobby and the entire property was extensively decorated for Christmas.

We had read various reviews from different websites before departing from home. However, I found that many of the negative reviews were unfounded. The hotel staff was wonderful and extremely helpful, especially the ticket/attraction hostess, who assisted us with getting the most out of our short stay.

The lobby was very warm and offered complimentary coffee and tea throughout the day. The hotel restaurant was very clean and the food was not bad. It was all buffet-style and included an omelet station at breakfast. Again, the staff at the restaurant were very attentive and helpful.

Our room was in the newer wing, the Nicholas building. It was very clean and very well appointed, with touches of the colonial era throughout. The bathroom was large and also very clean. The only downfall to this was that we had to go outside the lobby to get to our building, which was across the driveway. This was not fun considering it was extremely cold this weekend.

The colonial area was withing walking distance, which was very convenient. It was only about a five to ten minute walk to get to all the attractions.

We have stayed at five star hotels throughout the U.S. and Europe. The Williamsburg Lodge was well worth the money that we spent on our deluxe room with two queen sized beds. We were very pleased and will remember the ambiance of the lodge for some time and would definately recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Liked — Location, atmosphere
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Bel Air, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2008

My family just recently stayed here for the Thanksgiving Holiday. I have to say that this was one of the best vacations we have ever had and this place is great. Our rooms were large, extremely clean and the housekeeping staff were very nice. The check in and check out at the desk was quick and the staff at the desk could not have been more helpful. When I asked for directions to get gas and then access I-64 to get back home - they provided two maps and I easily got to these locations. Judy at the Concierge window was fantastic. We got tickets to all the evening events we were interested in and nothing was too impossible for this woman. She was a true delight. We only ate breakfast there and I would highly recommend the "all you can eat" buffet bar for $15. It is a real value. What I liked most about this place is the proximity to Historical Duke of Glouster Street. It is 2 blocks away and a quick walk from the Lodge which we did often. And when we were running late - we could ask the doorman to take us over in the free shuttle bus which they did without a problem. The Lodge bar is really nice with a large fireplace and comfortable seating. My family is now all adult - so we sat and drank alcohol and played Monopoly or Clue in front of the fireplace all night after dinner when we returned from our day Historical romp. It was really a great time and we will be back next year.

• Liked — Location, Staff, Facilities
  • Disliked — Nothing - everything was great
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

let's just call it colonial disney world. This is what disney would have been in 1776. If you don't mind paying for overpriced meals and overpriced food then go on. This is truly a fantastic trip through history but I may have been better off building a time machine. i reccommend staying off property and bringing your own food and beverage.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — no value or customer service
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg? Share your experiences!