“Grand Illumination Weekend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg

Save Saved
You added Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg to your Saves list
Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   310 South England Street, PO Box 1776, Williamsburg, VA 23187   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Free $100 Gift Card
Ranked #7 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
Mason, Ohio
“Grand Illumination Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

My husband and I stay at the Williamsburg Lodge each year for the Grand Illumination. It is something we look forward to each year and plan for in April. It is the best weekend ever. You park your car and never have to leave until your visit is over. The service is out of this world. The rooms are very comfortable and clean. The food for the Seafood Buffet is the very best on the Friday Night before .
We always purchase yearly passes for Colonial Williamsburg. This year we forgot to pack our passes. No worry, the Lodge ticket agent handled it ......we were re-issued our last year passes for $5 a piece. It was great. I needed a stamp .....no worry,the Gift store sells stamps....... the front desk took care of the rest. The lounge is another pleasure with the wood burning fireplace and the friendly atmoshere. It does not get any better than the Williamsburg Lodge.

Room Tip: All rooms are great...but we prefer the corner rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
Norfolk, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My family and I have been coming to Colonial Williamsburg since I was 12 years old - trust me a long time ago. When I was growing up, we always stayed at the Lodge. It was a great mid priced, option very close to the historic area. They did a major renovation several years ago and we were anxious to try it out. I need to include as background that when I travel with my mother along, she is in a wheelchair for distances and a walker to get around generally. Two years ago we had a reservation at the Lodge but couldn't stay - had to switch because of how high the beds are. Since then, the two or three trips a year we take there, we usually stay at the Williamsburg Inn. This past weekend - their special kickoff to Christmas, the Illuminations Celebration was going on so we couldn't get rooms there. We decided to go with the Lodge, hoping that they had fixed the beds - no luck. When I say they are high, I mean really high off the floor. Even the best of us might need a stool to get on to them. We managed, but it was a real hassle. They brought two different stools to help. Both were those plastic things you buy in the hardware store to use in a workshop. One was about 12 by 10 inches, and folded up. The other was two steps, but the lower step was small and not too stable. My mother ended up sleeping on the pull out sofa (we were in a suite). Every time I commented on this - both in the past (during previous reservation activities) or during this trip, the staff took a "sorry we know its a problem, but that's the way it is" tone. They were nice and pleasant, but they REALLY need to fix this. I'm told there are NO handicap rooms in the lodge - at least none with regular size heights to the beds. It's really pretty amazing. I decided to say something on TripAdvisor because CW needs to take care of this problem. Thank heavens we can afford to stay at the Inn. But at times we'd like the option to stay elsewhere.

One other thing I ran into was that the gentlemen at the front (bellman, etc) probably need more people. They seem to have to park cars, do the bags, etc - multitask in other words. At least two or three times we waited up to 10 minutes for someone to show up to get our car (we did valet). They were always VERY helpful, pleasant and remembered us. And perhaps it was because of the busy weekend.

One other interesting thing I found related to staffing issues was the availability of the concierge. Sunday morning we wanted to get tickets for a tour and discovered the concierge wasn't available until 9 AM - when some of the tours started at 9:15. The person at the front desk was very nice, but couldn't help us. I suggested that we call the 800 number and discovered they aren't around until 9 either. I walked away - frustrated when I remembered that the Inn's concierge is around earlier. The young woman at the front desk talked with that person and voila! we had tickets and even though I offered to go over to pick them up - their bellman walked over with them. Many thanks and kudos to the Williamsburg Inn.

The people working at the Lodge (and everywhere else we visited this past weekend were lovely, and always willing to be helpful. We love staying at CW and look forward to our next visit. But please, please fix those beds at the Lodge I am certain I'm not the only person who has spoken of this problem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed at Williamsburg Lodge over Thanksgiving. The hotel could not be better located. It is just across the street from Colonial Williamsburg, which means you can just walk up to all the attractions and main stores and restaurants of Williamsburg. The staff was super friendly and helpful, despite the fact that it was a busy holiday weekend and reduced staff. The hotel in itself is very clean and with a colonial but updated decoration. Overall a very nice experience.

• Stayed November 2012
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Good prices very nice King Room Quite, only able to see the tv from the bed, bed was very high. stayed in the annex, still nice good bar and friendly staff excellent buffet breakfast 1 block from the center of CWB also had user friendly shuttle, used it to drop off and pick up at Market Square drop off and pick up very reliable. Little tip did not hurt

Room Tip: stayed in 4079 Quite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, Dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We will be back: Staff is very friendly, rooms are neat and clean, location is great since only 5 minutes walking from the colonial area and their breakfast buffet is awesome. Loved their Christmas decoration!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was our 2nd thanksgiving at Williamsburg Lodge, we enjoyed it so much the first time and they didn't disappoint us this year. The buffet choices were plentiful, from the standard Thanksgiving fare to some unique pasta choices, a whole plethora of cheeses both imported and locally made, antipast and salads, and then there were the desserts! Southern Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Creme Brûlée, various cakes, and pies, cookies, and homemade ice cream (I could have had more of the strawberry it was so delicious.). The hotel staff and particularly those in the dining area where very welcoming and friendly - I simply love that genuine southern hospitality. The buffet was a little costly at $62 per person but worth the price given the enormity of the choices and food excellence. The venue itself is beautiful and would be my first choice for my daughters wedding. The Virginia room is a Cinderella ballroom for sure and there is a magnificent staircase just outside which would make a beautiful picture setting. We've never stayed overnight at the lodge but I imagine the rooms are just as nice as what we've experienced with the dining. I highly recommend you at least experience Thanksgiving here.

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012 via mobile

Can't get any better location than right on the Duke of Glocester street in the heart of Williamsburg BUT room just OK. Buffet breakfast expensive not worth it. Stay just outside the historic area you can walk in. Also no pubs in the historic area do if you are not eating dinner you must leave the area, have a cocktail and walk back in. Would come back but not spend the money to stay in the historic district.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to Williamsburg Lodge-Colonial Williamsburg? Share your experiences!