“Great Family Resort” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
pittsburgh
“Great Family Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2009

I stayed at Kingsmill this week for four days with my family. The resort was wonderful. The check in staff was very friendly. We got there early (1pm) and were told are room would not be reay until the 4 pm checkin time as the resort was full. However, they gave us a parking pass and resort cards and told us to use any of the facilities. They have locker rooms by the pool so we went there and spent the afternoon.

We stayed in a resort double. The room was large and easily fit the four of us. Our room looked out on the James River and marina. We were on the second floor. I know others said the rooms were noisy on the first level so I asked to be put on the second floor. The only noise we did heard was when people were leaving their rooms as the doors are quite heavy and are loud when shutting. However, not much different than other hotels. Please note there is no actual large hotel. The resort is set up into 6 or 7 buildings that have several units. The place reminds me of Sea Pines in Hilton Head if you ever stayed there.

The pools were great. They had both indoor and outdoor pools. We ate lunch at the pool and it was wonderful. Prices were the same as any other resort. Kids loved the smoothies.

I also went to the spa and had a great massage. Prices the same as any other resort spa.

There is a marina where you can rent boats and fish. There is also a rest. that has decent seafood and a kids menu. They have nice live music each night.

The resort has 3 golf courses. My husband played the River course and said it was just ok. He also played Golden Horseshoe in Willaimsburg and said it was much better.

Finally, the resort has free shuttles to Busch Gardens(run hourly), Water Country(runs every 2 hours) and Colonial Williamsburg. These are great especially if your group wants to split up and you have only 1 car.

We went to Virginia Beach for a couple of days after leaving here and wished we would have stayed at Kingsmill instead. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Prince Frederick, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2009

Ended up here after having to leave Days Hotel at 12:00 after busch gardens because Days Hotel was disgusting.

Kingsmill was fantastic. We called several hotels who couldn't help, but the staff was able to find us a room. They were pleasant and very helpful.

When we got to the room, it was first rate. Very clean, very open, and very comfortable. It was a relief after Days Hotel and being referred to another hotel in the ghetto.

When we went to check out, we found that the staff had taken care of the phone calls needed to fix our problem with Busch Gardens Vacation, something Days Hotel could or or would not do.

We soooo plan to go back even if their normal rate are somewhat higher than we normally pay. It was sooooooo nice with sooooo much to do. The staff really made the difference. Thanks!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

My family and I just returned from our stay at Kingsmill. We had a great time (including the teeanagers!). We had a two-room suite and one of the packages. The rooms exceeded our expections. The bathrooms were very modern and the beds quite comfy. The kitchen was fully stocked with all the utensils/pots, etc. we needed to prepare a few meals during our stay. We even ate outside on the little patio area. We also ate at Regatta's -- the food was good and not too expensive. The shuttle to Busch Gardens and Williamsburg were timely. We took advantage of the tennis courts and the stroke of the day classes, golf at Bray's, paddle-boating,and the fitness center. The only downside was the noise of being on the first floor! The units could definitely have been built better so that the walking of those on the second floor doesn't sound so loud to those below. Despite the noise, we did not want to leave and would definitely return. Perhaps we'll request a second floor room!

Contrary to one other post, wireless internet was free for us!

Central VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Kingsmill. Overall it was a top notch experience.

Upon our arrival, the service was attentive and snapped to as if we were heads of state. It was so impressive that it was almost daunting. I was a little worried that the place might be TOO nice for a regular guy with 2 small, active kids in tow.

We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite that also has a queen sofabed. The suite had 2 flat screen TVs, one in the bedroom and one the living room (though no HD content, a shame).

The bathroom was recently updated with a very nice shower. Note there is no tub, which could be an issue for you if you have very small children.

It had a dining room table and a full kitchen , with a range/oven, full sized fridge and freezer combo (with icemaker inside the freezer), a dishwasher and and a microwave. There were forks, knives, utensils, cookware and plates, coffee cups and glasses, along with a cusinart coffee maker. We didn't need to bring anything.

Overall the suite was around 900 sq feet. More than enough space to relax and decompress, even with small kids.

Now, I can also understand those who say that the downstairs units can be noisy. I could totally see that. But our 1 bedroom suite was on the second floor. I have been told that the suites are generally on the upper floor, and so if you are in a suite you probably will not have the noise problem. We had been ambivalent about the reviews before we went, but turned out to not be a problem, for us, anyhow.

Also, I agree that some of the carpets look as if they might be wearing a bit. The one in our unit looked a little worn, but that was not an issue for us, with 2 small children we were more concerned about soiling an expensive carpet.

The sheets and pillows were exquisite. I want to find where they buy their pillowcases, because I have not had good luck recently finding new pillowcases.

The shuttle to and from Busch Gardens and Water Country were very convenient. We drove to Colonial Williamsburg, so did not try that particular one.

The pools were comfortable, and they have a small kiddie pool as well. There is a small beach area for picnicking, it is nothing to write home about but nice to have.

I tend to dislike traveling and staying in hotels because I can be a bit picky. But this is one place I am looking forward to visiting again - and soon!

Lewiston, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

I have to admit that after reading some of the reviews on this site I was a bit apprehensive about what we were going to experience when we got to the Kingsmill. From the moment we drove up I knew it would be good. The place is beautiful. Upon check in our room was not ready so we headed over to Busch Gardens which is wonderful. We were called when our room was ready and upon entering my family was estatic at how wonderful the room was. All of the people that work there were more than accomodating and really made our stay enjoyable. I loved the coffeehouse called the Mill. I would definitely recommend this establishment to anyone going on vacation to Busch Gardens and would stay there again.

Bordentown,NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

My husband and teenage son recently returned from The Kingsmill Resort. We found the staff to trip over themselves to help. Everyone was polite and accommodating. We purchased the Family Vacation Package which was quite a deal. Free breakfast each morning, tickets to Busch Gardens (which included one free lunch at the park, and a fast pass to either the Griffon or Dark Kastle), tickets to Water Country USA, free golf after 2pm-which my husband and son took full advantage of (there is a cart fee of $30 per person so it's not really "free" but still a deal), free shuttle to BG, WC and Colonial Williamsburg and a few other amentities we did not partake in. The restaurants we ate in on site were reasonably priced and the food we ate was delicious. Lovely grounds, we had a room with two beds. If we had one other person with us we would have upgraded to one of the suites. It was on the small side but if I wanted to spend time indoors i would have stayed home. The resort was not crowded, not sure if that's just a sign of the economy. Beds were comfortable, loved the bathroom. We were on the first floor so we had a little deck which was very private. When I needed to use the internet, I went to the business center. The first 30 minutes are free. Free USA Today and a resort itinerary on our doorstep each morning. Lots of places to explore on-site. We loved it and would go again. The only thing that ruffled my feathers a little was that Monday night the dining room (Bray) was closed to the public - members only - but no worries, it was late and we explored outside of the resort and found a lovely Italian restaurant.

Xenia, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2009

I don't think there was anything we really disliked except for the fact that for the money it would have been nice to have a continental breakfast. It looked like you had to pay for breakfast. The room was excellent and we had a view of the river and the marina from our room. Many nights we walked down to their private beach to dangle our feet in the river (and the water was very warm to our surprise). We ate at the Marina Grill (great lake view, good food, and live entertainment) and Regatta's Cafe (above the pool area, nautical theme, very family oriented, good food) during our stay and we did order room service (chef salads which were good as well with skim milk). All in all, everything was great and we would love to go back. The entire area was very secluded and not busy. We liked the shuttle services (they go to Busch Gardens, Watertown, and Williamsburg but I wish they did the Triangle) It was a quiet place and relaxing. Great first stop for our belated honeymoon!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Kingsmill Resort? Share your experiences!