“Beautiful, relaxing and fun for the kids” 5 of 5 stars

Ultimate SUMMER Fun
Ranked #16 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Certificate of Excellence 2014
McLean, Virginia
“Beautiful, relaxing and fun for the kids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We've been visiting Kingsmill at least once in each of the past few years and it just keeps getting better. To start with, the rooms are first class with nice furnishings and luxuriously outfitted beds. My wife and I loved the water flow in the shower and the dispensers for Shampoo, Conditioned, and Body Soap. But the grounds are what really set Kingsmill apart. The rolling hills, lush, well kept greenery, and the banks of the James River just make me relax.

Our kids like going too - there is so much to do. The addition of the Lazy River and water slides is the current highlight for them but they also like the indoor and outdoor resort pools also. They also like the playgrounds and exploring the banks of the river. This last trip, we rented a pair of paddle boards at the Marina and every one of us got to try it out. It is nice that we can take the Kingsmill bus to Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg - just adds to the relaxation because we don't have to worry about traffic and parking.

We like to eat at the marina restaurant. Sometimes we just order a bunch of appetizers with drinks and watch the sunset from the deck. This past time, we had a nice outside table on the deck. We had drinks and entrees for dinner while listening to live music and watching a world cup game on the TV above the bar right behind us. It was a beautiful evening and a nice finish to a nice visit.

Room Tip: As for River View room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Kingsmill is lovely, there is no doubt about that, but; compared to our stay last year, we have seen some changes not for the better that made us drop our rating from a 5 to a 4.

The staff at Kingsmill are very nice and accommodating. We are greeted with smiles by everyone, they always make conversation, and say have a good day. So the staff there gets a 5 from us.

Housekeeping. There is definitely an issue with housekeeping at Kingsmill. The rooms are clean, and beds nicely made. The bathroom was clean with no dirt or stray hairs but there were some cobwebs here and there in our room and some dust on fixtures which means they haven't been touched in a while. When we arrived there was no mini-fridge which was requested when we made the reservation so we had to call for it, and it was brought by maintenance about 2 hours later. It seemed housekeeping forgot us one day, because by 6 pm our room still wasn't made up. We are a low-maintenance family... I like to keep the small room neat for my own peace of mind, and all we really require is new towels, the beds made, and a refill on the coffee for the coffee maker. We called housekeeping and upon our return the room was done, but they forgot to replenish the K-cups for us. We were left with one small bar of soap for 3 days, which became a mushy little nugget by that point when it was finally replaced. They need to put just a tiny bit more effort in and it would be very good.

The rooms are nice, and even though not the largest rooms we've been in they are fine for our family of 4. Beds are comfortable, Flat screen TV is fine. Free WiFi worked ok for us. When we were at the resort we spent most of the time at the "River Pool" which is the real draw for us. There are many options in Williamsburg but no resorts with a lazy river pool complex, and actually with a view of the James River.

We get the most inexpensive view here because we are simply not in the room to pay for a view, but even the "cheap" views are nice. Golf or tennis or woods... this year we had a view of the tennis courts and many dead bushes. Yup, they were dead. No green just gray branches. Is this another sign of cutting corners at Kingsmill others have mentioned? I'm not sure. We ask for a room close to the tennis center which is very close to the shuttle service. It's always nice to be able to walk out your door and be 60 seconds away from the bus, when others have to drive to park.

This year we decided to rent bikes and go for a ride on the property, which is beautiful. There is a (I think) 3 mile loop. The bicycles they have are older cruiser bikes. No gears and coaster brakes, which is fine if you are on a long flat path like at the beach; but these were NOT flat paths. We had to stop multiple times to walk the bikes because of the need for gears, and the bikes just wouldn't go. Even my athletic kids had a few issues, standing up to ride the bikes, almost having to stop and push. They need to get bicycles with gears that can handle the terrain they have or create a flat bike path. We saw local residents (Kingsmill is part of a residential community as well) riding their bikes too-and not one was a cruiser. So what could've been a very enjoyable leisurely bike ride just wasn't. We heard another family talking about the bikes on the line for the shuttle. We had a laugh over our surprise of the terrain vs. type of bicycle and all said we'll never do that again!

There is a mini shuttle service (usually a large golf cart) on property to take you from the pools or the marina, etc back to your room location, since the resort is so spread out. The drivers are friendly and the service is usually efficient, but this year we called for a shuttle and it never came. We waited a good 15 minutes and just started walking to the pool.

We do not eat much on property as it is quite expensive, and when we are on the go in hot summer months we don't want big, heavy, sit-down meals anyway. We get a dinner one night and snacks at Currents which is at the River Pool. Seems the best thing to do is order at the bar and they bring your food to you. We also enjoy a lighter breakfast (sandwiches and danish, etc) at The Mill by the tennis center. I (unfortunately) have celiac, so I have to eat gluten free. They friendly girl behind the counter told me they used to offer gluten free bread but since they haven't had it in months it was erased from the board, but luckily I bring my own bread fully expecting that, so be prepared if you are gluten free. We like to get a room service treat one or two nights, but this year we called for room service at about 9:30 and nobody picked up, twice! So no room service this year for us. Not sure what was going on there, but makes one wonder.

A tip, if you have a daughter, you can go in the "wet suite" by the indoor pool. It's not appropriate really during the day since there can be naked women who may not appreciate a pre-teen in there, but at night about 30 min prior to closing, I go in and check and it's always been empty. I take my daughter in (in bathing suits) and we use the whirlpool, sauna, and steam room for a mini spa experience, which is something I hope she will have fond memories of.

I know it will be hard to find something will all the amenities and a shuttle to BG and WC, but we are going back for a long weekend trip in August and sadly we think we are going to explore another property to see if the cost is really worth the experience.

Room Tip: We like rooms by the Tennis Center, which is close to the shuttle drop off and pick up. We never mis...
Niles, Michigan, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This resort was a good place to stay while we visited Williamsburg and the surrounding area. Staff were helpful and polite. Our suite was clean and everything we could have asked for. I appreciated the privacy of the resort as well. The pools were beautful. We did not use the golf course, but could tell that it was an excellent place to play. We had a package that included our breakfast, which was a wonderful buffet, and tickets to Williamsburg. I thought it was an excellent price considering the costs of comparable upscale resorts.

Room Tip: We requested a top floor, so that no one was walking above us.
Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Had a quick overnight getaway with the wife to celebrate our anniversary. I had contacted the resort a couple weeks prior to our stay to inquire about what we could do there to celebrate our anniversary. I didn't hear back so thought they just trashed my email (or overlooked it). Upon arriving in our room, we were greeted with a nice gift bag waiting for us with a card. About 10 minutes after settling in, room service knocked and delivered chocolate covered strawberries. Great way to make a first impression! And I thought they forgot about my email!

The room itself was pretty standard. Bathroom was tiny. Didn't warrant the $200+/night price tag but the amenities and grounds make up for that. We have a view of the golf course and just stuck with a standard Deluxe King room. bed was comfy!
On our night there, we had drinks at the Marina before dinner at Elements. The person who waited on us said they recommend reservations for those that dine at the marina restaurant. When we arrived there just after 5pm there were probably 6 other people there. Definitely didn't see why reservations are encouraged. They must get packed later. Drinks were reasonably priced. Beers with $4-$5 and I think wine was $10 or so for some basic glasses. Great water view as well!

After a couple drinks at the marina we headed to Elementary for dinner. I had the gnocci (amazing!) and the wife has the chicken parm (she really enjoyed hers as well). Portion sizes were good. We were both stuffed by the end of dinner! prices for dinner were also within reason. I think a place called "Eagles" is known as being expensive at Kingsmill but all places we checked out were well within reason for price.

I will say that breakfast the next morning was expensive. $18.95 for the buffet! We skipped that and go a la carte. I ordered french toast and that was $13. It was very small 2. basically 2 pieces of toast (4 halves) with no side item. The wife got choc chip pancakes. Her portion was large (4 sizeable pancakes) but still cost $10 and that didn't include any fruit or anything else on the side.

The next morning, before checking out, we headed to the pool for a few hours. It opened at 10am and we were there when the gate opened. The lazy river was very relaxing and the waterslide they had was also was fun! Was packed but not overly packed. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. We even had lunch at the pool before leaving and I must say the food there was much better than expected. Better than your standard pool concession stand.

Overall, Kingsmills is a great place! Sure, a little pricey and the rooms don't match what patrons pay but the amenities more than make up for it. Would definitely recommend for a short stay if your are visiting Williamsburg. great for couple looking for a getaway and even families with young kids.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Concord Twp, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014 via mobile

At a reasonable 8 hour drive from the Cleveland area this resort offers plenty for adults and kids alike. The grounds are well maintained, the staff are friendly and the food is fabulous. We spent every day at some point at the pool and with 3 kids the food there didn't break the bank. Kids meals are $6 and are large enough to fill them up easily. Service around the pool was hit or miss, but you certainly are also able to simply walk up and order food or a drink if you need or want to. The lazy river and slide were a huge hit with my 10,8 and 6 year old kids. The other thing they LOVED was kids camp. We had them do this one evening to have an adult only dinner and when it was time to get them they didn't want to leave. For $30 each it was a little pricey, but the staff made the 4 hours they were with them really fun and they all got a shirt from it which made my kids happy. They got a choice of dinner and ice cream later and when we came to get them they were playing a very energetic game of capture the flag. I would highly recommend this if you want an evening out alone.
The marina is also nice, we rented a pontoon boat one day and jet skis another.
My only complaint would be with housekeeping. I'm fairly certain the only thing that was done each day was make our bed and hang up towels. There were spider webs on a light fixture and the counters and tables weren't wiped down each day. Overall I'd highly recommend it here, we'll definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2014
Chattanooga, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We recently stayed at Kingsmill for our family vacation. It is such a wonderful place and we will definitely return. All the restaurants were excellent, the view of the river was absolutely beautiful and the lazy river (my son's favorite) provided entertainment for the afternoon. The rooms were spacious and clean. Our only issue was the A/C freezing up on our last night, which was inconvenient, but the staff worked quickly to resolve the issue.

Room Tip: suite with river view
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

My daughter and I arrived on Monday because the Hotel we were going to stay in was gross. Luis checked us in and he was personable and so professional and nice. The process was quick and he gave us a very nice room. The room was clean, the TV was placed in a weird spot so you could not both view from bed but that is a small issue but odd none the less. The tennis facilites were in great shape. They have a shuttle that takes you to Busch gardens that was on time and cool and very nice. When you want to go to the River Pool you call the front desk and they send a ride for you.

The River pool is why this cannot be a perfect score. The pool itself is nice. The lazy river is fun, but needs some rules. Kids are going the wrong way they are not in a tube and the lifeguard chair faces away from the right side of the river???? It would not matter because the lifeguard was on his phone. Not sure what the lifeguards do? kids were running and diving, yes diving in the lazy river which is very shallow, they said nothing. The food was good at the Lazy river but hte waitstaff were not managed well. When we arrived we sat down and 3 waitstaff in blue shirts were chatting by the bar with the manager who was in a black shirt they all looked at us and kept talking. I finally said to the teen, do I come up and order and he walked over. Um Manager...MANAGE. The computer system went down and he told his staff to stop taking orders. WHAT??? Don't make your problem your customers problem. Give them all pen and paper and you can send that into the kitchen and when the system is back up enter the paper orders. Not hard and that way you don't have a ton of customers waiting and when the system comes back up a run on the kitchen? Truly some management is needed there, not sure whose nephew got that job but he needs some help.

The checkout was lovely. The fitness center is under construction but when it is done it will be very nice I am sure. The resort is family friendly with water sports and golf and I would recommend it fully.

Room Tip: This is a large property. Make sure you know where you will spend most of your time and stay toward...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Kingsmill Resort? Share your experiences!