“Changes are happening” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Rockville Centre, New York
“Changes are happening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband & I & sometimes my kids and extended family have been here many times. When we called to make reservations the rates for April were not available yet so we made the reservation being told when the information becomes available we would receive a phone call back. When we called last month a new computer system was being installed and again we were told we would receive a call with answers to our questions. I'm still waiting for all these calls. My husband & I are currently staying here for a week. Last year and yesterday we were left without toilet paper. It seems the people cleaning are not reminded to check the toilet paper. I have not been happy the last 2 days because I have not been able to get a key for a locker. Yesterday my husband locked my stuff in his locker. Today I was given a key to the "family" locker and I had to wait for a father and his kids to finish so I could use it. There are plenty of things to do here. We always have a great time in spite of the lack of customer service. I will say the staff this year is much nicer then last year, but the staff when Busch owned it was the best. The internet in the room is bad. It needs to be updated so it works better. Very good spa. Even with these issues we really enjoying our time here.

Room Tip: The rooms on the James River are wonderful and worth the extra money.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Ashburn, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

I had high hopes for our stay at Kingsmill during spring break. Unfortunately it did not live up to any of the hype. When we checked in, we were sent to the wrong room, walking in on someone staying for the week. When we got to our new room it was smaller than most standard motel rooms, the hot water worked for no longer than 10 minutes, the phone did not work, the alarm clock did not work, there was no refrigerator, we could hear every move the people in the next room made and the maid service replenishment station was attached to the room so we heard every movement they made. I requested an move/upgrade the first night and was promised a move first thing in the morning, then was told the next day that whoever I spoke with was not in a position to make that promise. I could have booked the change that night, as they had availability, however by the time I spoke with them the next morning I was told that everything was booked. We took the kids fishing and the guy working at the marina seemed bothered that we were asking him any questions. We stayed at the Marriott Ford's Colony the night prior and had a much better stay. We were looking forward to our stay and travel quite often, however it seemed the resort was focused on an event happening that night and decided that no other paying guests mattered. On Saturday night, I had to park about 100 yards away from my room due to how packed parking was in our area. Honestly was expecting a much better experience as I have stayed in places much less expensive with significantly better customer service. The grounds looked beautiful and I am sure under different circumstances we would have enjoyed ourselves, however this was an awful experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear James K,

I so apologize for the service issues you experienced during your stay at Kingsmill. What you encountered is far below our service standards and the expectation of our guests, and the managers of rooms and sports have both addressed the areas of dissatisfaction that you mention.

Again, my sincere apologies,
Claudia
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed at Kingsmill for a weekend getaway. We chose a river front room. The property is in a gated planned community and is very well manicured and quiet. There is a nice fitness facility, golf course, and spa. My overall impression is that everything needed to be updated. The room looked dated (80's) and was not a bargain at over $200/night. The spa treatments were really reasonabl priced and I had an excellent masseuse "Stacey." The breakfast at the tennis shop was a bargain and really good. We enjoyed walking the trails and saw a bald eagle sitting in a tree on the riverfront! The service is great and the people are really friendly. I recommend the resort for a peaceful getaway but please realize that renovation is needed and is probably alredy planned.

Room Tip: Stay on the river. Views are beautiful.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Farmville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Although I wasn't able to stay enjoy like I would have if it weren't a business trip.... I had an enjoyable time. I think what made the stay for me were the people who work here... The property is big and they have a shuttle service. These men running the shuttle were amazing. They were at your door within minutes and helped with luggage if need be. The food was also good in the new restaurant. I would have loved to enjoy the spa but the prices were way too high!! Overall the visit was very nice and I would go back for another visit!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

What a beautiful resort! We stayed in a villa near the tennis courts. Breakfast in main hotel was delicious - full gourmet breakfast, included in our package. Busch Gardens tix included as well, and the shuttle takes you to and from. Super convenient, great price, and gorgeous location.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I have written a previous review for Kingsmill and I have very much enjoyed my past stays. Resort is under new management, we heard, and I hope they will work on improving their service to former times I have stayed. They are doing a lot of upgrading/ renovations to restaurants, but not to rooms as much. Check in was fine and they were able to let us check in early due to low occupancy this time of year. Stayed 1 night only over weekend. Stay went downhill the next day at breakfast in golf club and it maybe unfair to judge the place on the restaurant service, but it is a resort. (Bray was still closed for renovation during our stay). Had to ask for manager since 30+ min wait for breakfast orders to arrive is unheard of especially since place was not busy! Had to get our own coffee/water since waitress nowhere to be seen several times, they ran out of coffee at one time, I did not receive everything in my order, food was average and NOT inexpensive for breakfast. Other tables had similar issues too. This is unacceptable at a resort like Kingsmill, but I'm certain it can be corrected with more training and better management oversight. Indoor pool had more sediment on the bottom than should be. Check out had a little wait and rude gentleman cut in front of few of us which receptionist should have noticed and corrected. I was not asked how my stay was at check out. I will probably stay here again to see if things improve to prior, if not better, levels of service and amenities, but if not then I fear that Kingsmill may become a place forgotten.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear 123liz456,

I sincerely apologize for the service issues you experienced during your stay at Kingsmill. I have spoken with the director of restaurants, and he acknowledged the issues and your disappointment and hoped that his attempt to resolve the problem at point of service was acceptable. Our director of rooms would appreciate more details on your experience at the front desk; please contact him at vishal.chopra@kingsmill.com. Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Best regards,
Claudia
Mahwah, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

My family and I went on vacation in the summer, and it was great. We stayed at one of their two bedroom suites, and it felt like home. There was a tennis court right outside our suite, which is great because my dad and I love to play, and the spa/pool area was just a walk away.

The location was also great because we were quite close to Busch Gardens and Williamsburg.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kingsmill Resort? Share your experiences!