“This resort has its pros and cons :P” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   1010 Kingsmill Rd, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #13 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Silver Spring, Maryland
“This resort has its pros and cons :P”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed in this resort from 6/17 to 6/21. We booked it as we wanted a good hotel to stay in that is close to busch gardens. Over all, I would rate this a 2.5 out of 5, according to the criteria below:

Rooms:
When we first came inside, the rooms were clean, and the beds were all made. The rooms weren't as spacious as we saw from the photos online, and they would have charged extra for a view of the ocean. We booked a 2 bedroom suite, and it included a kitchen, living room, and a dining area. The furnishings were a bit outdated, but they were still good for our purposes. The rooms were cleaned regularly, around 9:00 daily.

Housekeeping:
The housekeeping staff did an excellent job cleaning the room and making the beds. They came to our room at 9:00 AM, but we asked for them to come 1 hour later. They replaced our towels, made the beds, sometimes vacuumed, and upon request, they replaced the linens. They were consistent, and overall they did a good job.

Front desk:
When we checked in and out, the front desk staff were pleasant and quick to get us our keys. When we asked for transportation, they immediately sent out a golf cart and transported us wherever we needed to go.

Golf carts:
When we were walking outside, usually a golf cart asked to give us a ride, if a cart was within vicinity. We also called the front desk, and they sent a cart out to our room. The drivers were nice to us, and told us about some resort features.

Breakfast:
We ate breakfast at the Bray dining hall. When we booked online, we booked for a package that had breakfast included. They removed the deal as it was limited time, and when we got there, they told us that we had to pay for breakfast. Initially we wanted to clear up at the front desk if we had a breakfast package, and Tiffany (a dining staff) was fine with it, and she was with us the whole time. We went outside to clarify, Angela (another staff member) started to scream at us and said, "You cannot leave until you pay" in a loud voice so others could hear. Her erratic behavior is very concerning as it damages your reputation in front of everyone. It seemed as if her agenda was to humiliate us, and that was why we never dined at another restaurant again. Angela's attitude towards us seemed ridiculous since we already could afford to pay 1500 dollars to stay at the resort, obviously we could pay for an $81 breakfast. Angela acted as if we would run away without paying. Staff employed in this position are expected to be polite, courteous, kind, and well trained in basic principles of hospitality, but Angela demonstrates the opposite by humiliating us

In the end, we had a good vacation at the resort, but it could have been better if some of the dining staff would be nicer. This is a good resort and a good place to stay if you are just going to Busch gardens or any other attractions nearby.

Room Tip: Remember to book a package.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Ali N,

Thank you for your review. It sounds like you had a pleasurable stay until your experience in the Bray, for which I deeply apologize. I have contacted the F&B Supervisor, and appropriate action has already been taken. I hope you consider Kingsmill for your next trip to Williamsburg.

Claudia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Stayed this past week from June 13th- 18th. Bought the stay and play package because of the golf. The 1st day we were there was a big storm that completely shut down one golf course and another there was only 9 holes open. On the 3rd course there was a tournament going on for Saturday and Sunday. So out of the 54 holes there was only 9 holes open for two days. The package included discount rates on the closed course. I had to fight and go back to the front desk multiple times to get money back. Another part of package was complimentary golf clinic, the problem was there none that was offered. The two main reasons to get the package wasn't possible. Why wouldn't want the front desk take an initiative and try to do something instead of making fighting for it. Front desk told me I was offered a free round which was never done. They offered some discount but the damage was done. The overall experience was good- nice jogging path of 4 miles, new pool with slide, lazy river and food was good. Also members of the golf club should let twosome pass if their foursome is awful and can not play golf. There seems a big disconnect between golf and the front desk.

Dear Stevenslater,

I sincerely apologize for any confusion you experienced at the front desk. Our policy after the storm, which left over 250 trees down throughout the property, was to move all packages from Plantation to Woods at no additional charge. In addition, at this time, we offer golf clinics every Friday, Saturday, Monday and Tuesday (which was not impacted by the storm). It is clear from your email that we failed to clearly inform you of these facts. Please accept my apologies, and let me know if I can be of further assistance; I can be reached at Claudia.rinaldi@kingsmill.com.

Centreville, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We had a wonderful anniversary weekend ant Kingsmill Resort. All of the staff were so friendly. Our room was nice and clean. The bed wasn't too hard. I hate most of the beds at hotels because they are so hard, but not here. All of the staff were so nice. I wish our room woudl have had a little fridge though, it would have been nice to store a few cold waters/sodas. Especially since none of the vending machines were working. Not a huge deal though. Beautiful resort with lots of ammenities!

Room Tip: It was worth it to get the river view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Dear Mary L,

Happy anniversary! I'm glad to hear you had a pleasant stay (and good night's sleep) at Kingsmill. I'm sorry we don't have refrigerators in our guest rooms; it's mainly a space issue. Next time, you might want to consider staying in a suite, all of which have full refrigerators. We'll be sure to work to keep our vending machines in working order. Thank you for your feedback!

Toledo, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stay: 14-18. Building 33 Room 3011&3012

Let me start off by saying that I am very particular person who spends alot of time researching hotels, vacations, and attractions. That being said, alot of time went into selecting the Kingsmill resort. Well, I could not have been more pleased with my choice. I am going to try and organize my review so it will be of the most benefit.

WE ARE A FAMILY WITH YOUNG CHILDREN!!! Ages 1,3 and 5. As many parents know this makes it somewhat difficult to plan a vacation. Here are some things that we loved about Kingsmill as they relate to our family experience.

THE ROOM
We reserved a 2 bedroom suite. The room was very clean, with the exception of the carpet being very stained, however, that can be expected and to be honest it did not detract from our experience in the least. The suite had everything we needed and there was ample room. We had one bedroom with a king bed, and another with a balcony and two full beds. Hind sight......we would have tried to switch the room layout and configuration. We did not want our 3 and 5 year old having access to the balcony...additionally, we did not want them staying right next to the entry doors since the other bedroom was located on the other side of the suite. As anyone with young kids knows, I ended up sleeping in the same room with them anyway. Overall the room was awesome and the price was reasonable.

POOLS
The kids zero entry pool, slide and lazy river were absolutely awesome....the pool was never too crowded and always clean. The staff down there was very nice and always accomondating. The kids had a blast and this was a good portion of our four day stay.

RESTAURANTS
We ate at the pool, the Regatta (Twice) and ordered room service. Room service was a little expensive....but guess what? IT ALWAYS IS. The nice thing was we had nearby grocery stores and convenient stores to stock up on snacks and items like milk. The full size fridge inside of the suite was clean and more than enough room. The Regatta was delicious, I recommend the Brick fired oven pizzas. Also, stop by the mill for a cup of graham cracker ice cream!

OUTDOOR/INDOOR ACTIVITIES
My wife and I both enjoy taking walks and running. The Kingsmill community is gorgeous. They have a four mile loop perfect for running. I ran that and somehow turned it into a 7 mile run.....no complaints because it was great! There are numeorus playgrounds in the area for kids as well.

The workout center was beautiful.....complete with a sauna, whirlpool and workout equipment....and it is free so that is a bonus.

AREA ATTRACTIONS
We went to Busch Gardens on a saturday. It was almost 90 degrees and I expected it to be a little unbearable with little kids. I was wrong. That place is ideal for kids. They have water play areas all over the park. My little kids had an awesome time at that place.

We also went Paint your own pottery in Williamsburg, VA. The kids had a fun time. Suggestion if you go here....it takes about 5 days for them to complete the process for your pottery. They will either have to ship it back to you or you will have to go towards the beginning of your vacation.

Overall I cannot say enough about this place. To me it is in no way a hotel but instead an awesome community full of fun things to do. We were able to spend alot time on the grounds without feeling bored. The staff were all very helpful and genuine. Everywhere we walked someone would stop us and offer us a ride in a golf cart. The grounds are large and spread out but we liked the walking....plus you are not on top of each other. I read a previous complaint that the rooms were built cheaply and you could hear everything from adjoining rooms. In my opinion the buildings are built as well as any other townhome, apartment complex I have been in....sometimes people are just loud! This was the best family vacation we have been on and we WILL be back every year.

My only recommendation would be to have an alternate option for bike rentals during evening hours on Sundays. On Fathers day we wanted to rent bicycles in the evening when it was cooler, however, the tennis shop was closed. I called the front desk and they said they could not rent them. Perhaps, during summer hours when it is cooler in the evening, either extend hours for rental, or if that is not feasible, then allow the front desk permission to rent them.

FYI We took our apple TV for the kids and the hotel offers free WI-FI. It will not connect on its own so you have to call the internet provider (number provided by front desk) and they will help set it up for the duration of your stay....easy to do and convenient.

Finally Kingsmill provided us with a military discount which I GREATLY appreciate.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Travelingwithkids71,

Wow -- sounds like a great vacation! We strive to make the Kingsmill experience fun and relaxing for kids and adults alike, and I'm so pleased to hear we succeeded. We look forward to welcoming you back to Kingsmill soon (and thank you for your service)!

Best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I can't say enough about our trip to Williamsburg and Kingsmill Resort. First our room was great. If you can upgrade to a river view. It was so peaceful to wake up to each morning. Buildings 10 , 11 or 12 have the best views. Also ask for second level. We ate dinner at Riggattas Italian...not a fan of the service there. Our waitress literally threw a straw at my husband when we asked for one? We learned later they are doing some kind of anti straw crap at their establishments for the environment but honestly just give your guests one and don't make a fuss. The spa was great. I got a 50 min Swedish and the facilities were very nice and staff was very engaging and made it enjoyable. Lastly the pools rocked. Our favorite was the lazy river area. Also the gym was so well maintained and offered a lot of work out options and classes. the indoor pool was warm and great for rainy days. Our daughter had a blast in the water. The currents restaurant had good pool food for lunch. We ate at the marina grill and that was nice but not amazing. We hope to come back next summer!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hi MrsMelanieWhite,

We're pleased you enjoyed your stay here (and thanks for posting the photo on Facebook!). We have joined in Xanterra's campaign to be "straw free" (www.choosetogostrawfree.com), and apologize that we didn't execute that pledge well at your table. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the spa and pool -- despite the quick but mean storm that passed through. We hope to host you and your family here soon!

Best regards,
claudia
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed in building 1, overlooking the pond on the 2nd floor. This was an excellent location. Building 1 is at the end of the road and it was very quiet during the day and night. Really the only thing we heard were the birds singing. Every night we had deer in the back yard. The 1 bedroom unit was quite large. We had a fireplace in the living room with a couch and several chairs, a full size dining table that seats six, kitchen with refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher, washer/dryer, separate bedroom and a nice size bathroom. The room was very clean and the photos on the walls were lovely. The property has several nice restaurants. The Mill is great for breakfast and lunch. The Marina is on the water and a perfect place for a romantic dinner. We also had lunch at the golf club house and the view was tremendous and the food was wonderful. Prices were reasonable. Also, we did have room service deliver dinner to us one night when we were too tired to go out, so they do have that as an option.

Bush Gardens is just a few minutes from the property. They do provide a free shuttle service which will save you the $15 it cost if you drive to Bush Garden and park your car.

The cost for our one bedroom unit was $169. This was a corporate rate and I thought it was an excellent value for this type of accommodation.

They have a spa onsite. I had a honey and oatmeal wrap with a facial. Cost with tip was $193 so it isn't cheap. The service was a total of 75 minutes. The spa/locker room area/sauna/hot tub area is pretty dated looking. I don't think the hot tub was maintained in a sanitary manner...a long story so just take my word :)
I would not use the spa again if I ever visit this property.

Overall, we were very pleased with the entire resort. They have tennis courts, a lazy river water area, pool, workout room, great golfing and more.

Room Tip: I would recommend building one that overlooks the pool but the other buildings that overlooked the r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Beautiful resort. Staff provided superior customer service. My family and I will return in the fall. The resort is back off of I95. For those of you who commute in the Northern Virginia area will be surprised to find this oasis in the middle of a hectic life.

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and had lovely views of the golf course.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Claudia-Kingsmill, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Virginiatrish,

We’re so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here at the Resort. Kingsmill does it’s best to ensure customer satisfaction and provide a relaxing vacation, and we sincerely appreciate your comments and feedback. We hope you choose Kingsmill for your next trip south!

Fondly,
Claudia

Been to Kingsmill Resort? Share your experiences!