“Best family vacation resort” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Spa Getaway
Ranked #14 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Tarboro, North Carolina
“Best family vacation resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My experience at Kingsmill was just a delight. My family and I really enjoyed ourselves. From the transportation for my kids trip to the game room and pool. Making the trip a lot easier on us as the parents. Being able to enjoy a family conversation around the bar in the kitchen like we as a family always do, while our mom and the girls prepare breakfast and dinner was even better. The view from every window was jus amazing. The comfort of everybody having space in each bedroom to really relax. Our families overall experience was great. I would recommend the beautiful resort to everyone I know who's looking for a romantic or family vacation.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
LAbraham, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear ChelceyL544,

“Best family vacation resort” is a great compliment and we thank you sincerely! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and we provided comfort and convenience for your family during your time with us. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

L. Abraham

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This review is way overdue! We were there for 6 nights beginning on August 11, 2012. First - the sort of bad (but not really - just annoying) - With the location of our room, we technically had a back porch, not really a balcony. This wasn't a problem (except for my one run in with a woodland creature - I'm not sure who screamed/squealed louder, me or him... :) But, we had specifically paid for and requested a river view - and we could only see that river if we stood up - through the brush, the bushes, hills and trees, you could then make out a speck of river. I was very disappointed with this - and being that it was our first vacation in 6 years, I wouldn't have paid for a river view if that's all I knew it was to be. Secondly, and this is not Kingsmills fault, but at the time we booked, we though the new lazy river would have been open for a few weeks - but it wasn't ready yet. Not even close. My husband works in construction so I understand that is sometimes out of your control. The day after we arrived was husband's birthday, so I had called ahead of time to order a cake - that phone conversation was a little confusing, and it didn't arrive when it was supposed to, so I did have to call and ask about it. Once I did though, it arrived quickly, looked so beautiful and tasted fantastic. Later a staff member knocked on our door and dropped off a little gift for my husband - sometimes it's the little things, you know? Very thoughtful.

Aside from that, we loved our stay - the resort was beautiful, the staff outstanding. Regatta's was by far our favorite place to eat and we went there the most - from the hostess (Kathy, I think...?) to the wait staff to the food - we enjoyed every single visit. The breakfast buffet in the Bray dining room was also fantastic. Each and every staff member was helpful, courteous and considerate, with the exception of one lifeguard one day.

The location and transportation to Williamsburg, Busch Gardens and Water Country was excellent. Kingsmill is the perfect location for those destinations. It made seeing the sights quick and effortless on our part. Honestly, though, we didn't always want to leave the resort - it was so relaxing, and there was so much to do that we didn't get to half of what we wanted to. We had dinner one evening at the James Landing Grille and while it was beautiful, I think the lunch menu would have been more to our liking. They did have music that evening, and we were seated right by them, so we couldn't even talk - we just asked to be moved, as the restaurant wasn't crowded and they quickly accommodated us. It was much nicer to have the view, the music and still be able to hear each other!!

Our room was clean and the service great. The only negative here was that my son had to sleep on the pull out sofa, which was awful - a very thin, uncomfortable mattress. We called housekeeping the 2nd night asking if they could get him a comforter (figuring he could lay that on top of the mattress to be more comfortable.) Apologetically, they turned up with another blanket, saying there were no more comforters. We tried again the next night. Same thing. In the end I think he had 5 blankets and no comforter! Luckily he was 12 - he'd survive. An adult would be much more uncomfortable. But, overall, they tried to meet our needs. We also ordered room service 2 times and again, they were prompt and extremely courteous. There were some spiderwebs around the entrance to our room but being in the woods, it happens. Not really a problem.

I would not hesitate to recommend Kingsmill to my family and friends and we definitely hope to return one day. After waiting so long to be back in the position to have a great family vacation again, Kingsmill did not disappoint at all.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
LAbraham, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Dear momtocon,

We thank you for choosing Kingsmill Resort on your recent visit to Williamsburg, we are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend Kingsmill Resort to your friends and family. I truly apologize about your review view; my recommendation would be to request an upper level in building 14, 12, or 13. If you would like a view of the James River and the new James River Pool I would suggest building 16 or 17. I am happy to report that the James River Pool with the lazy river is now completed. We appreciate the feedback and kind comments about our staff and thank you for staying with us; we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

Reno, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The Resort and room were very nice. We stayed in July, 2012 for an event a few miles away. Parking close to our room was an issue, in the evening it was hard to find a spot.

The biggest disappointment was the James Landing Grill! It was my husband's birthday and we thought we would have a nice upscale dinner. We were seated upstairs next to a group of two families. One table was the adults and the table next to ours was the children's table. Having a child we do this often when we go out with friends. The issue was that the children were extremely wild, running around the tables, shouting, hitting into our chairs. As the staff and the parents did nothing. Despite this going on we placed our order, which described a meal that consisted of three items (my husband and I ordered the same). When the meals arrived, the children were still unruly. Our meals were completely different and what was supposed to be seafood was substituted for something else. We asked the waitress and she said she forgot to tell us that there would only be 2 of the 3 items. We finished our meal quickly, spoke with Manager that listened and didn't even say they were sorry for the inconvenience. I would have thought that either the parents or Manager would have addressed the children misbehaving. We went to the hotel lobby to see if there was another place to dine, since the meal was not good and we didn't enjoy it. But there wasn't a place for a late night snack or even a gift shop open to purchase anything. When we checked out the next morning, we told the person at the front desk about our experience and they said they would follow-up, we never heard anything.

Unless they have improved, I would not recommend the Landing. It's ashame because it's a beautiful location.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear 23Travler,

Our sincerest apologies for your dining experience at the James Landing Grill. I was able to review your feedback regarding the service and quality of food with the Manager of the James Landing Grille and Executive Chef. They are working together to ensure that we improve service standards and food quality. I will say this, the dining experience at the James Landing Grill has improved tremendously over these few months with changes to the menu and a re-trained staff. I hope that you will be able to see the changes if you choose to return. As a guest, your feedback is extremely important to us, because with out it, we cannot continue to improve our services.

Lansdale, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at KingsMill Building 33 rooms 3071 - 72. Checkin was easy. My first impression of the place was that it was peaceful. The outside grounds had trees, paths, and a lake. It looked really nice. The suite that we stayed in was also very nice. It was clean, neat, and roomy (See my pictures). It was almost as if we were staying in a cabin in the woods as far as the feel (not the suite itself since it had modern furniture and the like of course). The balcony was fantastic (many of my lake and tree pictures were taken from the balcony).. The balcony faced a lake surrounded by trees. It was very peaceful back there. Fortunately it wasn't too cold so I could stand out there with only a jacket on.

What I liked most about the suite was that it was very neat. The customer service at KingsMill was fantastic. We used their shuttles to get to the on-grounds restaurants and to get to Colonial Williamsburg. Their shuttle to Colonial Williamsburg takes you right to Colonial Williamsburg not the visitor center. However, their shuttles to Colonial Williamsburg runs on Fridays and Saturdays (I don't remember if they run on Sundays). We drove to the visitor center on Thursday, which was very hectic since there was an unusual large amount of people according to the folks that work there.

Back to KingsMill. The kitchen was adequate. It had a tea machine that uses tea modules (and coffee modules -- I don't drink coffee). It had a microwave, stove, refrigerator, and a garbage disposal. The living room area was roomy and the sofa was comfortable. There was even a desk where I put my laptop. We had no problems at all with WiFi, which was included free.

Pros
The hotel was neat and the customer service was exceptionally great. The resort grounds were very peaceful and well maintained. Even the housekeeping folks were friendly and courteous. I loved the place and will go back.

Cons
There were NO DVD players in any of the rooms. The TVs were mounted to the wall (except the living room tv) and we couldn't even connect another device to it such as our own portable DVD player, which we had. The TV did not have RCA inputs for audio either. Yikes! We'll be ready the next time. The toilets seemed small. It is a bit pricey, but worth it. We paid $260/night during the Christmas week, which included a AAA discount. However, again I don't regret paying it at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is next to to the Lake. Some buildings were next to the tennis court and I woul...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Cunningw,

It is great to hear your experience at Kingsmill Resort was positive! We are happy you enjoyed our spacious suites, cleanliness, peacefulness, and great customer service. I do apologize that we do not have DVD players in our rooms but we do have them available on a request basis. We thank you for staying with us and hope to see you again soon! Be sure to check our website periodically for promotions.

Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

we stayed for one night after going to a wedding nearby. the room was nice and clean, the view of the golf course wasn't bad either. we had a couple of delicious cocktails at 'eagles' and got to enjoy the fireplace before turning in for a lovely night in our comfortable bed ;) ;). the next morning, we were trying to sleep in a little bit since we had left the kids at home with the grandparents, but unfortunately we awoke to an early game of tag in the next room with lots of stomping and screaming. voices at a casual conversation level could be heard very clearly through the walls and suite door and it was even loud when your neighbor had the water running. all in all, it was a nice place to stay, just don't count on any privacy or peace and quiet unless you rent the whole suite.

after originally submitting this review at three stars, we discovered my wife had left her pillow at the hotel. fortunately the staff found it and held it for us to pick up in a couple of days so i bumped my review up another start thanks to their customer service.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Andy M,

We thank you for choosing Kingsmill Resort on your recent visit to Williamsburg, we are extremely happy to hear that you enjoyed portions of your stay with us. I apologize for the noise in you unit, the last thing that we want is for one of our guests to not have a good night’s sleep. I am certain had we known about it, and we had the availability, one of our managers would have done our best to relocate you to a less noisy area. I was however happy that you were able to enjoy the view in your guest room, dining at Eagles Club house, and the cleanliness of your room. I really appreciate you taking our guest services into consideration when rating your review, I will be sure to let our lost and found department know that they did a great job ensuring your wife got her pillow. We appreciate the feedback and thank you for staying with us; we hope to have the opportunity to host you again.

va
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Rooms are nice. TV remote was el cheapo and barely worked. Free internet--but very slow connection. No fridge in room. very limited room service menu. Soda machines outside.

Got the feeling that they were not interested in updating an older hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
LAbraham, Manager at Kingsmill Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear wtunick,

I was able to review your feedback regarding your stay and I apologize that we were not able to exceed your needs. Currently, we are undergoing a soft goods upgrade in our guestrooms. Our suite product has a full kitchen and other amenities that may be more convenient for you if you choose to return to us. Your feedback is extremely important to us, because with out it, we cannot continue to improve our services.

Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here many times..and for good reason...We always have stayed in a one bedroom facing the tennis courts....and the suite was once again immaculate.....I mean it as if they were just built...I will list the pros and cons for easy reading...

Pros:
Clean rooms
VERY helpful staff
Wonderful restaurants with very good food (dont forget the one near the marina which is very relaxing with a good view.
Convienent to all the parks--very close
Gym---top notch and great classes that we partake in when we visit

Cons:
Hummm, somtimes the parking lots get full and we have to park far away.. (that was a 'stretch' for a Con but I couldnt think of anything else..!..)...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Jack Z,

“This place is beautiful” is a great compliment to Kingsmill Resort and our team members. We are extremely happy to hear that our staff was “VERY” helpful and that you thought our restaurants were “WONDERFUL”. We appreciate the feedback and thank you for staying with us. We look forward to having the opportunity to host you again next year.

L. Abraham

Been to Kingsmill Resort? Share your experiences!