“Great Front Desk Staff and Location, but it has its drawbacks.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Westgate Historic Williamsburg

You added Westgate Historic Williamsburg to your Saves list
Westgate Historic Williamsburg
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1324 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Heritage Inn)   |
Ranked #19 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersSilver level
New Brunswick, New Jersey, United States
“Great Front Desk Staff and Location, but it has its drawbacks.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

I will start with the fact that the Front Desk Staff (Tony from Baltimore and a lovely woman from New York whose name I sadly forget) were perhaps the friendliest people I have ever met. I was then directed to the concierge who sternly informed me that if I didn't maintain a handwritten slip of paper on my dashboard I would be towed.

I booked as a guest, presumably filling an empty room their timeshare members had not filled. After check-in, I was shown to the elevator through the CEO's hall of narcissism with photos of him with various celebrities, up to my floor which reeked of a sickly-sweet air freshener. My room was a B room, which meant it adjoins another room and is separated by a locked but paper thin door. Everything from the next room was audible; thankfully, they were only interested in having a conversation. The room was fairly well equipped with everything from a fridge to a blender, but no room for a bedside table on both sides of the bed. The toilet was like a jet engine but still took about 5 seconds of holding the handle down to fully flush. The Shower/Bath featured jets and bubbling mechanisms with a warning on the side telling you how to enter. You need to be a giraffe to do so.

No free WiFi or access to the benefits of being a member.

Overall, not bad. The personality of the front desk staff the night I checked in kept me from complaining in person.

My advice to Westgate: If you want to fill your rooms, fine. Treat those of us that fill your rooms when you can't with the same courtesy your give your members.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Historic Williamsburg, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thank you for the kind words about Tony and Judy, who are a part of our great Front Desk team. Westgate Resorts Historic Williamsburg is within walking distance of Colonial Williamsburg and many restaurants. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback which gives us the opportunity to correct our shortcomings. We apologize for those shortcomings. We promise to provide a better vacation experience for you on your next visit to Williamsburg.

The Westgate Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Really enjoyed our stay and it was great having somewhere nice to stay while travelling with our dog! We were visiting friends so did not fully take advantage of what the resort offered so I can't really comment there. Very close to everything you would want to see in Williamsburg! Will definitely come back next time we're there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Historic Williamsburg, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Westgate Resorts Historic Williamsburg is located within walking distance of the historic area and is themed with historical décor. Our excellent team takes pride in maintaining a clean resort. The amenities include units with a fireplace, full kitchens, Jacuzzi bath tubs and a fitness center. We look forward to serving you on your next visit.

Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed 3 nights over Spring break to visit the historic triangle and Busch Gardens. The rooms were clean and well-maintained and the kids felt they were staying in the lap of luxury. We liked the floor plan, with the semi-private master suite. Not having access to free Wi-Fi was annoying. The staff were friendly and we very much appreciated the no-pressure time-share salesman, who provided a brief explanation of member benefits and invited us to attend the sales pitch/tour, but did not continue pushing when we declined. We would probably stay there again if we return to Williamsburg in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Historic Williamsburg, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Thank you for sharing your "Pleasant family getaway" vacation experience at Westgate Resorts Historic Williamsburg. We are convenient to Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg and many other attractions. The team tries to anticpate every guest need to ensure the ultimate vacation experience. The housekeeping staff works diligently to provide a clean Villa. Please come visit us again.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This is a beautiful place and we were very happy with it. Our room was small but lovely and clean and had everything we needed. The main disappointment is that if you are not an "Owner" (timeshare?) you don't have access to free wifi, which is very inconvenient when you want to look for places to eat dinner, etc. You can purchase wifi access for about $10 a day. In my opinion, this is ridiculous. They also don't provide any type of breakfast (again, unless you are an Owner) but there are tons of pancake and waffle houses in the area. Also, somebody threw up in the end stairwell, we found it and reported it to the front desk at about 10pm, it was still uncleaned when we checked out at 8:30 the next morning. Not pleasant. And finally, our suite was attached to a larger suite with a family of noisy children, and so our evening was tainted by kids laughing and cries of "Ewwww, gross!" as the doors between the 2 rooms weren't remotely soundproof. However, apart from these issues, we very much enjoyed our stay and would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to others..

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad you thought Westgate Resorts Historic Williamsburg was a beautiful place and were very happy with it. Thank you for your feedback, we use this to improve our services. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, would come back again and recommend us to others. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Williamsburg.

Severna Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My wife, my wife's sister and I decided to take a trip to Williamsburg so that we could go to Busch Gardens and go outlet shopping and just get away from home for a bit. We planned the trip last minute and when I started calling around for hotels, the rooms that had a bit more space were unavailable. I found the Westgate listed on Expedia and saw that the prices were very reasonable so we booked it two days before we were set to go down.

We did Busch gardens the morning we arrived in Williamsburg and it turns out that I am much more prone to motion sickness than I thought. We had to leave the park early and we went to the hotel to see if I could lay down. My wife went and talked to the front desk, explained the situation and asked if we could check in early. Not only did they accommodate but they seemed genuinely concerned for my health. We checked into the room early and I was amazed at the room. It was larger than my wife's studio apartment was when we first started dating. There was a family room with a fireplace, a full kitchen and bar, the bedroom was large and the bathroom was gigantic and had a full separate shower, jacuzzi tub, and separate toilet room. The housekeeping staff (Audry, Raquel, and Carol... I asked for names because it was that impressive) did an amazing job. The place smelled clean and I probably could have eaten off the floor. What blew my mind was that this room was only maybe 20-30 dollars more than the hotel we had originally intended to stay in that was just a king bed and that's it. The bed was really comfortable. I hate when hotel beds feel damp or just gross. This felt like sleeping at home.

After I started feeling better we went outlet shopping, came back, hung out in the room until bedtime which was nice because how often do you stay at a place where you want to hang out in the hotel room and it feels comfortable. We woke up the next morning and we just felt sort of beat up from all the walking the previous day. I went down to the front desk and asked the staff (Lona, Judy, Tony, Brynn and Kris...hopefully I got the names right) if we could check out late because we were moving slowly. They were all for it and even helped me carry coffee upstairs because I couldn't carry all of it.

Even the guests were friendly. I walked out of the room and couldn't remember which way it was to get to the lobby and a guest walking down the hall said hi to me and asked what I was looking for and pointed me in the right direction.

I wish we brought our bathing suits because the hot tub and pool looked inviting... it would have been too cold for the pool but definitely not the hot tub. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We did the suite as opposed to just a normal room. I can't really say anything about the view.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
WestgateGuestRels, General Manager at Westgate Historic Williamsburg, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for sharing “our trip to Williamsburg” vacation experience at Westgate Resorts. We are happy that you were pleased with the property, comfortable, and experienced our first class customer service. The whirlpool tub is a nice feature and the resort is in a premiere location convenient to attractions and restaurants. Please recommend us to your family and friends. We are always striving to give our guests a quality vacation experience.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

The rooms were beautiful the housekeeping staff was exceptional. Very friendly, helpful even guided us to our new favorite dinner spot.. But the only issues we had was the gentlemen at the front desk, he was very rude and unknowledgeable of the area. The front desk manager the very next day didn't have time to hear our concerns. She was very flakey..

• Stayed March 2013
WestgateGuestRels, Guest Relations Manager at Westgate Historic Williamsburg, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
The units at Westgate Historic Resorts Williamsburg are beautifully appointed and the location is convenient to many great restaurants. We take pride in being a very clean property. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback which gives us the opportunity to correct our shortcomings. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Williamsburg.

Evansville, IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at this resort for four nights at the end of March during our Spring Break. Our group included my husband, myself, our 2 year old daughter and my mother. We stayed in one of the suites and loved it! The suites are really roomy and there really is nothing better in Williamsburg for the price that has this much room. Each suite had a master bedroom with a king and another bedroom with two queens, plus a decent sized living room and kichenette. The decor is a little on the old fashioned side, but when we read the informational binder in the room, it informed us that everything had been chosen to reflect Colonial decor-- so I guess it makes sense that it would be a little old fashioned!

The staff was extremely friendly... I would say this was the friendliest hotel I have ever stayed at. Every person we encounted was positive and helpful.

The only negative was the in-room washer and dryer. The washer was fine, but the dryer is a joke. It is a non-vented energy efficient style and it does not work... just hang your stuff up over night and that works much more efficiently. The staff helped us out tremendously when our jeans would not dry and the housekeeping manager dryed then for us in thier dryers. Once again, customer service was awesome.

The location is really good as well... we ordered pizza from the Libary Tavern, right next door, and it was delish. Also there is a Walgreens just across the street and a grocery right down the road.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your “doesn’t get any better” vacation experience at Westgate Resorts Historic Williamsburg. The resort is located within walking distance of the historic area and is themed with historical décor. We are glad to hear you appreciated our first class customer service. We appreciate you informing us of your issue with the clothes dryer. We look forward to serving you on your next visit to Westgate Resorts.

The Westgate Team

Been to Westgate Historic Williamsburg? Share your experiences!