“Great location, great value!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg

Save Saved
You added Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg to your Saves list
Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   506 North Henry Street, PO Box 1776, Williamsburg, VA 23187   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #36 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
Baltimore, MD
“Great location, great value!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to pay almost nothing for a hotel and then are shocked when it isn't a 5 star hotel. This is not a 5 start hotel, as evidenced by the rates, it is a value hotel, and a well run one. I paid $50 per night plus tax. At that rate I wasn't sure what to expect but the hotel exceeded my expectations.

Positives

-Great value, low price per night
-Great location, you can walk to colonial Williamsburg, although it is a bit of a long walk. There is also shuttle service or free parking at the visitor's center.
-Discount on admission to colonial Williamsburg. On top of the low room rate you can purchase a length of stay pass for $30 for adults and $15 for kids, a significant discount.
-Free continental breakfast. Breakfast was well stocked. Downstairs gets busy and often there are no open tables downstairs. Upstairs has plenty more seating and they stock a separate buffet up there with all the fixings. Head upstairs for a more peaceful breakfast.
-Great pool. The pool was much larger than most value hotels and provides pool towels. Pool deck is a bit small and chairs can run out but overall a nice pool. We spent each afternoon in the pool.
-Staff is friendly. Upon arrival lots of information was given to me about colonial Williamsburg. Check in and check out were both very quick and handled by friendly staff.
-Access to recreation activities at Woodlands hotel, shuffelboard, mini golf, table tennis, volleyball, playground. We really enjoyed these activities.
-Woodlands hotel has some free evening activities. The Wednesday night of our stay they had an hour long storyteller, someone dressed in colonial costume came and told stories using the audience. She was very funny and the free activity was one our favorites of the weekend.
-Food at Huzzah restaurant next to Woodlands is very good and reasonably priced.
-Adequate parking (I parked either right in front of our room or directly adjacent to our room everytime)

Negatives

-Rooms are basic, nothing fancy, not recently remodeled. Our room was generally clean but not immaculate. In room TV's are small and older "tube" TV's.
-Shuttle service from hotel can be confusing so make sure to ask if shuttle stops at your stop. We made the mistake of getting on the hotel shuttle assuming it stopped in the colonial area (we should've got off at the visitor's center and transferred shuttles) only to take an hour ride to Busch gardens and water country without even trying to. Once got to busch gardens and told shuttle driver where we were trying to go he made a special stop on the way back to let us off. Shuttle service back to the hotel from the colonial area was slow at night (we waited 25 minutes at the Woodlands hotel). My suggestion would be to use hotel shuttle for Busch gardens and water country and drive to the visitor's center and take the shuttle from there to the historic area.
-Woodlands recreation services are great but the location is hard to find and I had to ask the Woodlands front desk 3 times how to walk there because they kept giving vague directions. Being unfamiliar with the property we could not find the mini golf.
-18th century dinning sounds exciting but our experience at Chowning's Tavern was only so-so. The food and service were ok but given the price of the meal I would've expected more. We had to ask our server to teach us a game (after we heard another table do the same), they have musicans which is really neat but they didn't come to our area until we were ready to leave, they also had a fortune teller but you had to approach the person and ask for your fortune to be told. If you are paying for the "experience" the staff should offer more of the "experience" to you.

We will definitely be back. While the Woodlands hotel seems really nice, it is 3 times the cost so we will most likely stay at the Governor's Inn again. I would definitely recommend it to the budget minded traveler.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hamilton, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

Our family is a family of four, with two girls, ages seven and two. Along with Colonial Williamsburg being a short 10 minute walk, Busch Gardens and Water Country USA are also a 10-15 min drive. By staying at the Governor's Inn though, you get free shuttle access to Busch Gardens and Water Country, discounted Colonial Williamsburg tickets, and access to other things regular ticket holders can't. And for the regular rate from their website, you can't beat it! Let's get one thing straight though; if you are looking for a "resort-style" atmosphere with a spa, indoor pool, and two-room suites with kitchenettes, you are looking in the wrong spot.

The rooms have a bathroom, two full beds, a TV, and a table with chairs. No frills. The room was clean, the AC worked great (especially since one of the days we were there it was 100 degrees), there was free Wi-Fi, a free breakfast (bagels, donuts, cereal, yogurt, juice), and the pool was clean. Couldn't ask for anything more for the price. Would definitely stay again!

Toledo,ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2010

We stayed here for 8 nights beginning July 3,2010. It was a great family value. We booked early directly through the Colonial Williamsburg website and paid $60/night except for the first night I think we paid about $75. There is a free continental breakfast included which is really helpful when traveling with young children. The hotel was very clean and did a great job of cleaning our room every day(my kids are 9 and 5 so you can imagine what a mess we made!).
The rooms are small, however, this is not the Hyatt so you can't go expecting the rooms to be huge. Also, the pool is really clean and very nice. I saw on some of the reviews that people complained about the train being near by-I can honestly say that I never one time heard one train during the night from our hotel room. My husband did hear one during the day when he was at the pool-but our room was quiet.
The only thing missing is that there is no refrigerator or microwave in any of the rooms-make sure that you bring a cooler and buy ice-they don't like if you use the hotel ice machine to fill the cooler.
There are advantages to staying at a "Colonial Williamsburg Hotel"-you can charge whatever you would like throughout the town to your room and pay when you leave. This hotel is within walking distance to Williamsburg-even my 5 year old was able to walk there. You can get a shuttle to the main visitor center from the hotel and take another shuttle to Williamsburg that continuously circles around the town-all for free(to everyone).
Also, you can get tickets for Colonial Williamsburg good for your entire stay for only $30 for adults and a lower rate for kids(I think only $15). Children under 6 are not charged. We,however, bought our tickets in advance through the internet. You can buy Bounce Tickets through the Busch Gardens website(or the Colonial Williamsburg website) that gives unlimited use of Busch Gardens, Water Country and Colonial Williamsburg for 7 consecutive days-the BEST part is that parking is INCLUDED! The price is $99 for adults, $89 for kids and under six are FREE!!! Now, I couldn't figure out how to order my 5 year old a ticket through the Colonial Williamsburg website at no charge, however, through the Busch Gardens website you can. For some reason, the Colonial Williamsburg webiste did not have a choice to order those tickets for kids under 6. I almost ordered another type of ticket for my 5 year old for Busch Gardens and Water Country, but then realized that I didn't need to do that. So, be careful and search the site. If you are not going to Busch Gardens and Water Country, the regular ticket is a really good deal for people staying at a Colonial Williamsburg hotel.
Finally, while there is no fitness center on this property and no laundry facilities-the guest here can use all of the amenities of the Williamsburg Woodlands(including the pool etc.)

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Spent one night at the Governor's Inn,room was clean and tidy, free great contiental breakfast with lots to choose from, great location, front desk agent were very informative about the surrounding area, this location would accomadate someone who is visiting Busch Gardens or Water Country USA.Would suggest this hotel to friends who are visiting the Williamsburg Area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

Great experience, especially on July 4 weekend. Staff at main desk are super helpful. They provided details and even maps of colonial Williamsburg and the hotel right away when checking in. Its only 2-3 blocks away from colonial Williamsburg, 10 minute drive to Busch Gardens, Prime Outlets, and a ton of restaurants around the area. The rooms were clean with wi-fi and they use a special brand of soap and shampoo from Great Britain that smells really good. There is no microwave though. I stayed for 3 nights with my family and it only cost 198! It was only 66 for the first two nights and a little more on the third because of July 4 weekend.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

people listen up am a real dad from new york that wanted to take his kids and brother to Williams burg VA so we could go to Busch gardens and water country .
so am going to keep it real with you the hotel was great the staff was great the room was very clean -it was close to the train EVERY THING WAS VERY GOOD
if you want to enjoy the summer with your family bring them here AND SEE

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Cockroaches, noisy AC unit, dirty carpets, rough worn out towels, did I mention cockroaches?!! What a nightmare. We had only 2 nights booked but I couldn't wait to get the heck out of there. Really impacts the whole experience of visiting Williamsburg. Shame on my fellow trip advisor writers for being far too lenient on this place. It's run by Colonial Williamsburg and they really need to take some of the profits they're making on the thousands of people they have coming through and channel that into fixing this dump up. Seriously guys, yuck! And I'm a pretty easy going traveller but charging anything for this place with the size of cockroaches that we killed in the bathroom.... my head is shaking now. I didn't even know they get that big. IF I ever go back to this area of the country and right now I'm thinking probably not, I know I'd pay the extra and stay in a nice b and b or better hotel so the whole experience doesn't get contaminated.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg? Share your experiences!