“Great place to stay for race weekend!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg

You added Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg to your Saves list
Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   506 North Henry Street, PO Box 1776, Williamsburg, VA 23187   |
Hotel packages
Announcement
Yuletide Celebrations
Ranked #39 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Chesapeake, Virginia, United States
“Great place to stay for race weekend!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

This was my second stay here. For the past two years my dad and I have run in the Run for the Dream 8k and Half Marathon and we stayed here both times. This hotel is the cheapest in the area and served our needs for a great race weekend. It's within walking distance to Colonial Williamsburg, shopping and restaurants, the rooms are clean, the staff is friendly, beds comfortable, and a decent breakfast. For the price of the room, I'd say it's excellent. The hotel even moved breakfast up earlier for us since the race start time is so early in the morning. I definitely wouldn't stay here for the hotel. It is old and outdated, but I think this place is a great place to sleep and I certainly wouldn't want to stay in the room when downtown Colonial Williamsburg is so cute!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Cherry Hill
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was a little worried about staying at this place, but it really wasn't that bad. We knew we'd be gone for most of the day exploring Colonial Williamsburg or one of the amusement parks so all we wanted were clean sheets, clean towels, and a clean bathroom, all of which were met. It was in a secluded area so it wasn't loud and neither were the other guests. The breakfast bar had the basics: milk, yogurt, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, bagels, toast, coffee, fruit juices, pastries, instant oatmeal and grits. It got a little hectic since the breakfast area is a little small compared to how many guests were trying to get breakfast but it's not terrible. If you're not picky and you're just looking for somewhere to sleep, this is the place.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dumfries, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

My goal when I arrived was just to park my car and meet up with a friend of mine at the hotel since check in time was hours away and just start exploring Colonial Williamsburg. When I went to the front desk to ask if it was okay to leave my car there before I checked in later that day the girl working the front desk said I could check in now if my room was ready...it was. I was so pleased we could have our room keys and put our stuff in the room so early! This is a budget hotel so nothing fancy but we really enjoyed the close proximity to Colonial Williamsburg, the room was clean, and the staff friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Severn, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

It's an old motel and first impressions were rather grim: concrete steps and walkways are cracked, the lobby smelled of disinfectant, and it was next to the railroad tracks. Turning and running crossed our minds, but we hung in and were glad that we did. It turned out to be better than we expected. The rooms were clean and serviceable. The service was terrific. An okay breakfast is included (not available in any other Colonial Williamsburg run hotel). It's within walking distance (about three blocks) of Colonial Williamsburg. My only complaint was that the walls were paper thin, and we could hear absolutely everything said by the people in the neighboring rooms. Fortunately, they weren't that noisy, but it was embarrassing to listen to personal conversations nonetheless. I doubt that we'd ever stay there again -- a little too grim for me -- but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for a budget traveler looking for a solid deal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

I'm not that fussy, really, but after one night in this place I just had to get out. This is an old-style motel from the 1950s and they're all the same: door in the corner, two beds, desk with chair you trip over at night, bathroom at the rear. The window A/C unit was so loud it was like sitting in an airplane when it came on; the rest of the time the room was stuffy. The walls are paper-thin; I could hear all the conversations around our room. There was a used bar of soap in the shower. The toilet valve didn't seal properly. The blanket on the bed actually had many threadbare parts. The bed was hard as a rock, as were the pillows. Outside, the stairs were crumbling and there's no elevator.

The good news is that when I went to check out the next morning, the young lady at the desk was incisive enough to figure out why we were leaving-- I was just going to say our plans had changed and move to one of many better hotels for the same price in the area-- but she was gently persistent and sent us to the nearby Woodlands Hotel, which belongs to the same Colonial Williamsburg franchise but is a real cut above the Governors Inn, and she made sure we didn't pay any more than we would have at the GI.

I chose the GI thinking it would be within walking distance of the meeting I was attending at Colonial Williamsburg, but it's not, and there is apparently no shuttle service as there is from the Woodlands Hotel. This place is way below the salt and needs to be razed and rebuilt. For the $95/night quoted, you can stay instead at one of the other chain hotels along Bypass Road, which is where all the restaurants are. Colonial Williamsburg should be ashamed to keep this dive open.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
kent, wa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Just what we needed for a family of four with no real interest in hanging out at the hotel (although there is a pool)
Breakfast was decent - nothing fancy, but clean and complete. Same goes for the rooms - You get a discount at Oxonian Williamsburg by staying here and for us that made the $10 more per night MORE than worth it. We did have a bit of fun trying to check in after 11 pm - you have to find your way to another inn, but the customer service has been spectacular!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Vilnius
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Don't know if it still works , but then it was one of the places from Colonial Williamsburg hotels with the discount tickets on the entrance to the Revolutionary City . Rooms looked old , breakfast poor , bud good location and price .Coffe maker , big beds clean linen , hot water what else do you need .

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg? Share your experiences!