I'm not that fussy, really, but after one night in this place I just had to get out. This is an old-style motel from the 1950s and they're all the same: door in the corner, two beds, desk with chair you trip over at night, bathroom at the rear. The window A/C unit was so loud it was like sitting in an airplane when it came on; the rest of the time the room was stuffy. The walls are paper-thin; I could hear all the conversations around our room. There was a used bar of soap in the shower. The toilet valve didn't seal properly. The blanket on the bed actually had many threadbare parts. The bed was hard as a rock, as were the pillows. Outside, the stairs were crumbling and there's no elevator.
The good news is that when I went to check out the next morning, the young lady at the desk was incisive enough to figure out why we were leaving-- I was just going to say our plans had changed and move to one of many better hotels for the same price in the area-- but she was gently persistent and sent us to the nearby Woodlands Hotel, which belongs to the same Colonial Williamsburg franchise but is a real cut above the Governors Inn, and she made sure we didn't pay any more than we would have at the GI.
I chose the GI thinking it would be within walking distance of the meeting I was attending at Colonial Williamsburg, but it's not, and there is apparently no shuttle service as there is from the Woodlands Hotel. This place is way below the salt and needs to be razed and rebuilt. For the $95/night quoted, you can stay instead at one of the other chain hotels along Bypass Road, which is where all the restaurants are. Colonial Williamsburg should be ashamed to keep this dive open.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- An official Colonial Williamsburg Hotel. Family-oriented Low-rise Motor Inn located downtown, 3 blocks from restored area & College of William & Mary. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Agoda so you can book your Governor's Inn - Colonial Williamsburg reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Governor`s Inn - Colonial Williamsburg Hotel Williamsburg
- Governors Hotel Williamsburg
- Governor Inn Williamsburg