“One of the best things we did!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 31 activities in Williamsburg
Type: Tours
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: The Original Ghosts of Williamsburg Candlelight Tour, based on the research and writings of acclaimed author L. B. Taylor, Jr., is the oldest ghost tour in Williamsburg and second oldest in the USA. Taylor’s first book, The Ghosts of Williamsburg and Nearby Environs, led to a series of books documenting hauntings and paranormal activities in Williamsburg, the Virginia Commonwealth, and Mid-Atlantic region. The only tour company licensed to use L.B. Taylor’s stories, we include true stories told on the campus of the College of William and Mary. Our skilled story tellers weave nearly a dozen exclusive and authentic tales into a comfortable stroll through the dark streets. The stories are spooky, but not too scary for children. In 2012 we launched a late night, adults only tour. Our widely popular Extreme Ghost Tour is dark, edgy, and intense. Experience this late evening walk...if you dare. Our groups are kept small in order to enhance the storytelling and overall experience, with time provided for guests to take pictures. Join us and be a part of what so many satisfied guests from around the country and around the world have experienced over the last twenty-five years.
Roseville,CA
“One of the best things we did!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

So glad we signed up for this tour through Colonial Williamsburg because we actually got to go in the homes, versus the other outfits that are not sponsored by Colonial Williamsburg. The storytellers and guides were amazing. Make sure you tour the Peyton Randolph house before you do the tour, afterwards you will be way too scared to tour it! Really, really loved this tour and so glad we invested the time and money!

Williamsburg, Virginia, United States
“so boring we left before the end”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

Since my sister was visiting us at our home in Williamsburg, I got tickets for a ghost tour on her first night here. "Underwhelming" is the best word I can think of to describe it (although my husband called it "anticlimactic." The guide spoke in a monotone, didn't project well, and spent very little time actually talking about ghosts - instead he fed us incredibly dry facts, like why one building on DoG street has greek-revival style architecture. A really disappointing experience overall; it would have been even worse if we had tried to bring children or teenagers. Even as adults, though, our attention spans wore out and after about one hour of this hour-and-a-half tour, we went back to the car. I called the phone number listed on the web site and left a message requesting a refund, but haven't heard back.

Vineland
20 attraction reviews
“Don't waste your time”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

I had such high hopes for this tour. It truly is just a historical tour and there are some ghost stories thrown in but the effect falls flat. I know they could do a much better job with making this tour more intense and fun. If you like historical tours then I would recommend it...but if you want a true ghost tour....look to something else.

Visited May 2012
Pennsville, New Jersey
12 attraction reviews
“Boring”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

This is the third ghost tour I have been on, including one in Lancaster, PA and one in Gettysburg, PA, both of which were very good. The Williamsburg tour was downright horrible. First of all, we understood that the tour went on "rain or shine", however, the evening of our tour there was a horrible storm with excessive winds, lightening, etc. The wind was so strong that it blew dirt and sand up my shirt, down my shorts, in my shoes, in my hair, etc. You might have thought I was spending time at the beach not at Colonial Williamsburg. I honestly feel the tour should have canceled and returned everyone's money for that evening. My next complaint is about the tour guide. He spent way too much time on each stop. He would begin to lose everyone's attention and some people would wander off for a bit just to avoid hearing him any longer. My family actually quit the tour about half way through as we were bored. I would never return to this particular ghost walk again.

New York
29 attraction reviews
“I agree, not creepy enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

I agree with the the other reviews. It's not scary enough to be a ghost tour at all. The tour guide I had tried her hardest, but the stories aren't spooky enough to keep most people interested. They're much more culturally based and a lot of the stories aren't really stories. They should either go full out and embellish the stories for entertainment purposes or do more of a cultural/historical tour upfront. Trying to do both at the same time isn't really working. The only thing that did slightly make it more spooky was that I did the extreme tour. The extreme tour starts at 11:30pm and ended just before 2am.