“Mold in bathroom and holes in sheets” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Magruder Hotel

You added Fort Magruder Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Magruder Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6945 Pocahontas Trail, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Williamsburg)   |
Ranked #62 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Mold in bathroom and holes in sheets”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

If I could give a zero rating, I would.
We stayed here 2 nights in April. There was mold around the bathtub, the drain plug for the bathtub was broken and sitting on the side of the tub, the sheets and comforter had holes, one of the mattresses was torn and the stuffing coming out, the batteries for the outside door lock were dead and maintenance man said should have performed preventative maintenance before this happened, the air filter in the room was filthy.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
HAMPSTEAD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Bought a Express Deal from Priceline which showed this hotel as 3 star, at best it is just barely a 2 star. My stay was on May 1st, 2015. This is the first and last time I will use Priceline. Now for the hotel. It is old and outdated. Room heat and air conditioner unit makes so much noise it is impossible to sleep and we had ear plugs. The television was very old. Our television remote did not work not because it was a problem with the remote. It was because the TV is so old that inside part of TV does not recognize the signal. Lastly, after paying through Priceline I was charged again by the hotel. Upon leaving I showed him the bill and he said it was only pending and would be taken off. Not true, as of this morning the charges went thru. I called the hotel and got the run around so I disputed the charges through my credit card company.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Rockledge, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I don't generally give poor reviews unless the experience leaves much to be desired. That was the case here. When we first arrived I did not have a negative impression. We stayed several days. First, the pros. The hotel had somewhat nice grounds. The room had a balcony to sit outdoors which seemed pleasant. The staff was for the most part pleasant and polite. The pool staff and the breakfast staff were very pleasant and friendly. The check in was fine. The indoor pool was very nice. However, there were elements of our stay that were negative. The furniture was rather old looking, although I thought they were trying to look old fashioned since it is Williamsburg. In our room, our refrigerator leaked and made the carpet smell. Someone had to be brought in to fix it. That can happen. The two most negative things about the stay were staff not putting through business phone calls to the room and the very poor wifi. For my spouse and I we were visiting for vacation but also working. This hotel was having conferences there. I don't see how the participants could do their business with such poor wifi. Time for my visit to historic Williamsburg was shortened because I had to spend extra time trying to e-mail documents that were on my computer for some work I was involved in. The wifi was so slow and poor that I lost several hours trying to complete this task. Also, my husband had spoken to the desk about business phone calls that he was to recieve, to be sure that they were put through to our room. The time of the call arrived and the front desk twice refused to put through the calls. The calls had to completed on my husband's cell phone and the business contact, which was from the media was very unhappy. They were broadcasting an interview which they preferred to do on a land line for clearer reception, but because the hotel refused to put through the calls they had to be conducted on a cell phone and they were unhappy. So, although we slept fine, and the facilities were nice, most of the staff pleasant, what started at the beginning of the week to be a four star review, dropped to two stars due to the above mentioned service issues. Since they are promoting themselves as a conference center to serve businesses they need to step up their game. Even as tourists, we had business to conduct while away and we were not served well at all in that respect and we lost time to devote to tourist activities in a very interesting area due to the poor business service issues. I am still upset almost a year after our trip. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

My room was filled with old miss-matched, broken furniture. Pieces were large making it hard to move about the room. The closet doors were off their sliders. This made it hard to open either side fully. I left a comb beside the sink in the bathroom which must have been used by one of the service people, as I found a
long black hair IN the sink upon returning to my room at the end of the day. The food, from breakfast to dinner, is terrible. I think what I ate in the school cafeteria growing up was better. Some of the people at the front desk were helpful, most not.

Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

First, never stayed at this hotel before my April 2015 trip. Thought I would try it out because of its location. First of all check in is at 4 PM do not show up any earlier you wiill be turned away abruptly. When the designated time arrived the front desk was manned by one staff member and was backed up knee deep. In the amenities for the room HBO was listed as being provided. Unfortunately, not the case. when I could not access HBO I was told I would receive credit on my bill. The next day when no credit appeared I receive a rather brusque explanation that HBO was not available for any guest because a school group was lodging overnight. Now ask did they turn off the free wifi or the public access computers so the little darlings could not access inappropriate sites. When I complained I was told I could post my remarks to this site so here they are for all to read.

Room Tip: If you just need to crash and do mind the lack thereof amenities stay here.
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Visited on a school field trip (or would not have chosen this hotel). Check-in was at 4pm. They gave us room keys at 5:48 pm. Room wasn't clean. Spoke with the hotel manager after waiting on hold for 10 minutes. Monica Whitted. Rather than apologize she defended the hotel for not having the room available on time as well as for the fact they gave keys to a dirty room.

Because they would not provide another, clean room, we returned to the room a couple of hours later after dinner (a cooked-to-death piece of chicken, store bought rolls, etc.). The room was cleaner but there was still a used piece of bandage gauze on the floor, a dog treat, and it reeked of disinfectant. The floor wasn't vacuumed at all. Took multiple calls and a trip to the front desk to get towels (they didn't leave enough of them).

Breakfast buffet was packed. They at least had fresh fruit on the buffet. The rest was all meat, eggs, and crumbling French toast.

Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Bad, bad experience!!! Dirty, very dirty, old, dated I even saw a cockroach as I was walking out of the restaurant after breakfast on Friday morning, running on the wall. We were there this past week, April 7th 2015.

Room Tip: Don't go there
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family

Been to Fort Magruder Hotel? Share your experiences!