“Good for large conferences” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Magruder Hotel

You added Fort Magruder Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Magruder Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6945 Pocahontas Trail, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Williamsburg)   |
Ranked #60 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Columbia, Maryland
“Good for large conferences”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I did not stay at the hotel, but attended a 3 day science fiction conference. They have two sections with meeting rooms, including a tiered classrooms with tabletops and power. The staff was supremely helpful and friendly, even when they didn't have to be. On the last day, one of the porters said, Have a safe trip, as we passed him in the hallway.
The sound system were good. Room set up was down accurately and quickly. The buffet in the hotel restaurant was tasty. The staff got into the spirit of the conference, wearing SF-related t-shirts and hats.
The only problem was that parking at the hotel was insufficient for the number of people that the meeting rooms could accommodate.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
York, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My parents stayed at this hotel for their 50th wedding anniversary during the week of March 2015. As I spoke to them this week they were so overjoyed about how they were treated and had nothing but good things to say about the hotel. I was only able to find out where they were staying when I read it in the Milestones Column of the Daily Reflector.
Please let me tell you for my parents to rant like they did about this Hotel was astonishing, My parents are not easily impressed. So when I found out where they stayed I had to immediately call and thank the Management and employees of this fine establishment that so impressed and made my parents 50th wedding anniversary a memory of a lifetime. And if you knew my parents you would know that If you want to go spend some time at some place special then you would definitely choose this place. So try it out

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Came for a weekend retreat and was disappointed in the ageing dirty, and unkempt hotel. Wallpaper peeling in the hallways with "stuff" stuck to it and some wallpaper held on to the wall with packing tape. The pictures definitely do not show the real fort macgruder hotel as I saw it today. I will try and post my pictures if i can. We checked into our room and the room had not been vacuumed in who knows how long! Crumbs and dirt in the carpet. The armoire and tv had visible dust coated on them with a half hearted swipe to "clean " it. The refrigerator had hair and ick in it. Hair on the pillows and top top it off the bed skirt has something crusty stuck to it going to the floor. Since we live nearby we just left and only came during retreat lectures and socializing. This hotel could be nice if it was remodeled, cleaned and new housekeeping was hired that can do the job. I left feeling uncomfortable and dirty. In no way would I ever stay the night there when there are much better and comparably priced hotels in Williamsburg. I will give kudos to the front desk for their quick attempt at rectifying the situation and the waiter and waitress hosting our dinner, breakfast and lunch for the retreat they were wonderful.

• Stayed March 2015
Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This is a very conveniently located hotel - close to the colonial area and Busch Gardens. The time we stayed was not as we expected. The room had a great deal of humidity which made everything and everybody feel damp. The hotel refunded our money because of the problem we experienced.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, no interstate noise issues or highway noise issues.
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The staff was amazing and very helpful. The room was clean and very comfortable. We also had buffet catering of two breakfasts and one dinner. Everything was superb! Walking distance to the historic area. Convenient to shopping, as well.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The more I try to summarize my two stays at this hotel, the more I realize what a good deal it is. It's got a good location, within minutes of Colonial Williamsburg. The lobby is nice with several artifacts from and paintinsgs about fort nearby. The restaurant has a good breakfast buffet and the servers are nice people, really. Truth be told, my tour company from Georgia chooses this hotel for my 8th grade field trip and we're from Oregon! They know it's a good deal, and now you do too! I'll be there again this April for my third stay. See you there!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2015

My husband and I had a two-night stay this past weekend at Fort Magruder Hotel. I booked through Priceline.com and I panicked a bit when it was the hotel I was randomly given among the 3 star hotel selection (I had read reviews that were mostly on the negative side). However, the staff was very friendly upon arrival, we were given a nice room on the top floor, and the decor was just fine. Yes, the hotel shows its age, but for the price we paid for the room, we were happy. Beds were comfortable. Staff was very pleasant. It is quite close to Colonial Williamsburg, which is what we needed. We did not try any of the hotel restaurants, so cannot comment on that. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to Fort Magruder Hotel? Share your experiences!