“great value, great quality for low price!!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Magruder Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fort Magruder Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Magruder Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6945 Pocahontas Trail, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Williamsburg)   |
Ranked #59 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Silver Spring, Maryland
“great value, great quality for low price!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My room was very clean. The hotel was very quiet. The bartender was very funny and was hard working. I do not know her name, but she was a skinny, Afro- American lady late 40's, also the desk clerk Lindsey was hot. But great price, great value for a room. I will come there again if I am in the area.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

53 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Went on a weekend trip (8/15-8/17)with the family to Water Country/Busch Gardens/Prime Outlets and booked through Priceline name your own price option. The pictures shown over the web are not applicable to this hotel. When you walk in there is a stench. It smells old and it looks very outdated. The first room we were assigned was dirty. The bed spreads had stains, the lights in the bathroom and vanity were blown, and there was paper all over the floor. The furniture was broken. Then the room next to us had a dog that barked any time some one walked past the door. We were moved to the second floor. The elevator was small so the trolley to assist with your bags couldn't fit. The elevators have their own smell. Upon getting off the second floor elevator the ceiling looks like its going to collapse. The molding is peeling off. The room was cleaner, but not much better. The bathroom was so small you cant shut the door while in it unless you step in the tub to close the door. We didn't even stay here the second night because we all were so grossed out and shaking our stuff down to ensure we didn't bring any bugs with us. This hotel is not a 3 star hotel by any means. The evening staff sucked. The free wifi didn't work.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Ken C, General Manager at Fort Magruder Hotel, responded to this review, yesterday
I represent the new ownership that has recently purchased the hotel. We are very committed to providing superior guest service. We hear your comments load and clear and are working diligently to fix any issues that might be encountered by our future guests.
Olney, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I took the kids to Busch Gardens last minute and could not find any vacancies near by except Fort Magruder. The price was a bit more than competitors but we were desperate and took the room. The desk service was excellent and accommodating. The room was pretty outdated and not in good shape. Missing TV remote, broken towel bars, some sort of stains and either pain or mold growing under the bathroom sink. Not sure if this contributed to the damp bad odor on that side of the hotel. The bed was really comfortable and clean. Internet worked well and the free business center was a bonus, although no scanning capabilities on site. The small indoor pool was okay but the hot tub was barely warm. We ate at the hotel tavern one night, and service was good. Overall, the hotel was sufficient...but not worth the room rates. Would probably not stay again unless I had no other options...

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
I really appreciate your comments. The hotel has recently been purchased by an owner who is committed to upgrading the hotel and services for our guests. I hope you will give us a try in the near future, as I am sure that you will have a totally different experience.
Lanham, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our family stayed at this hotel this past Thursday-Saturday (August 7-9). We had a Travelzoo deal that we used. The hotel was okay not sure why they are considered a 3 star. When we first arrived the outside of the hotel looked okay and the lobby was decent. When we got to our rooms it was very hot and stuffy. I noticed it was dark red stains on the carpet by the beds so I overlooked it. The beds had a big drop in the middle once you sat down on it. After getting situated we tried to turn on the air condition but it never turned on, so I contacted the hotel front desk and they sent someone right way. It was an older gentleman who was very nice. He found out that it was a broken fan motor so he notified the front desk and they immediately moved us next door.

The new room had a smell to it like an old musky smell and it had the same dark red stain on the carpet. The curtains were very dirty. The TVs were old bulky TVs not sure why they haven't updated their televisions as you can get a regular 32inch TV for a steal right now. The clean-up crew doesn't do too well of a job. While my son was playing with his toy my daughter went to retrieve his toy that fell under the bed and found food under the bed. How disgusting...... My son is only 18 months so just imagine if he found it he would have tried to eat it smh. Most hotels have two or more people thoroughly clean the rooms but this hotel I notice only has one. My daughter wanted to sit on the balcony but it had cigarette butts all over so we made her come back inside The beds were a lot more comfortable in the new room. The buffet breakfast was okay. The bacon was really good but overall it was okay. I think you can get better at the nearest pancake house or diner. I didn't have a problem with customer service as everyone was polite from the hotel front desk, the serviceman and the waitress staff. The indoor and outdoor pool was a very nice area and seems well kept. Seems as though they host a lot of events; which they are probably known for in that area. While we were there they hosted a family reunion and a pageant (which my 5 year old thought was neat).

Overall, like a previous reviewer stated you get what you pay for; the next time we return to Williamsburg I am just going to stick to what I know and book either with Marriott, Holiday Inn Express or Hilton. I don't mind paying extra for quality. With a good renovation of the hotel, this hotel would definitely have 3 star potential.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
I really appreciate that you have taken the time to send this review. The comments have been noted and I assure that the new owner is taking them very seriously. We are in the process of making significant changes that will make the Fort Magruder Hotel a great place to stay for our guests.
Fredericksburg, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We got our reservations for the Fort Magruder Hotel through Priceline's Express Deals.
We arrived at 4:30 and had to wait in line for about 15 minutes to check in. There were 2 people at the desk and a third arrived to set up a workstation (?) while we were waiting. Once we got to the desk, things went pretty quickly, however we were not given much information about amenities, etc. other than "your room is down the hall."
Room Pros: Quiet, 1st floor with sliding door. The room appeared to be clean--housekeeping had done a good job. The king bed was very comfortable and the blankets and pillows were very nice. We slept very well. The towels were clean and fluffy--we had more than enough for our stay. The furniture is comfortable and the overall look of the room and artwork is aesthetically pleasing.
Room Cons: The room had a damp feel. The carpet felt damp and the room was very humid. While the A/C worked well, the room never felt dry. The dampness led to a slight damp odor as well. The bathroom was tiny and outdated. There was not much room to squeeze inside and shut the door. The toilet was scratched and stained inside the bowl. It was difficult to get the shower to turn off completely and there was no plug for the tub to create a bath. For some reason, there were only 4 lightbulbs in the five-bulb fixture over the sink. Of the 4 bulbs, only 2 worked. I'm not sure if this is a cost saving measure, but it was strange. Since there was adequate light from the 2 bulbs that worked, I didn't feel like I needed to complain. The TV is large and completely outdated. The picture was grainy and the volume did not go very loud.
Pool area:
We went to the pool area around 7:30 a.m. There was no one else there, which was nice. The indoor pool temperature was good, but we were concerned with the lack of grating over one of the pool drains on the bottom and there was gum in the deep end. The hot tub was very nice. Again, housekeeping appeared to have done a good job, but maintenance needed to improve.
We went to check out about 9:30. We had to wait in line for 10 minutes to check out. There was only one person at the counter.
Overall, it was not a bad experience. If we had paid more than $98 (including tax), I probably would not have been happy. This hotel has potential, but it really does need to address the humidity problem and upgrade some of the room features.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor have parking lot access directly from the room. The king-sized bed was nice...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Really enjoyed my stay except for the room itself. The hotel is in need of major updates. The staff was great. Nikkah at the front desk was wonderful and so was Stephanie at the restaurant and bar. The staff here is amazing. The only cons I have about my stay is the room itself. When the ac was on, the humidity in the room let everything feeling kind of damp, including paper and clothing. I went and bought some fevreeze to help the musky smell of the dated room. Once the hotel receives it's reno, it will be hard to compete with. I would stay here again mainly because of the staff. They are a great group of people and deserve to be aprecciated.

Room Tip: I booked the executive suite for me and my familty. five of us. The room was really large with a sep...
Dear Valued Guest,
I appreciate you took the time to write a review regarding your stay at Fort Magruder Hotel. We take all reviews very seriously and as a new owner value them in order to take the hotel to a new level. I am very happy that you had a wonderful experience with our team, they are fantastic and are thrilled that they are a part of the new Fort Magruder Hotel family.
We are starting a large renovation of the hotel and cannot wait for you to experience the new Fort Magruder Hotel!
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Let's get the negative out of the way.....check-in was just horrible. I arranged with the hotel (or so I thought), prior to my trip that we would arrive very early in the morning. I chose not to deal with the 800# reservation center and called the hotel directly to make sure things were in place. I spoke with someone at the hotel just a day prior to confirm that we would be on the road in the middle of the night, and would get there anywhere between 2 and 6 a.m. I was assured this was okay and a room would be ready no matter what time we arrived and there would be no issues. She was very nice to chat with on the phone. We reserved a great Independence Day rate which included breakfast. Upon arrival at approximately 4a.m., there was no one at the desk. Okay, no biggie. Waited ten minutes or so while walking back and forth looking for someone, standing, etc., then saw a phone near the desk, and called the front desk/operator. The clerk came from a room behind the desk and asked if he could help me call a guest in the hotel. I explained no, I was there to check in. He was not annoyed but not friendly or welcoming either, and said "a little late aren't you?" I explained no, I was early, not late, and had spoken with someone onsite to arrange. No lie, check-in from then took what felt like an hour. My family was back in the car waiting. I was very patient and understanding but there is no reason why it should take that long. I understood it was wee hours of the morning but good grief. One, he didn't know how to check me in. I asked if he was new and he said no, he was just used to being on the later shift in the afternoon. So, I guess the systems and procedures are different in the morning, I do not know. Still no official greeting, welcome to Williamsburg, welcome to our hotel, nothing. It was just blah! So he called and called to get the upper level desk person to come back to the desk. When she came she was a bit better at knowing what to do or trying to figure it out but still took forever. However, neither of them knew about the package we reserved. I told them it was on their website and their local reservation person helped me with it. No clue, they had NO CLUE what the independence day package was for the holiday weekend. We went back and forth about how many breakfasts I should have and how I would redeem it, it was a free breakfast for each nights stay, so we got that straight, they finally figured out how to give me the vouchers and how to check me in, the male clerk offered another breakfast for the hassle, but I never got the extra card and didn't bother asking. I was patient and thankful but inside I was just totally perplexed that this was the front desk staff and pretty upset after a long drive to take that long, leave my family that long waiting, and not a good welcome or anything. He did thank me for my patience and for waiting, but no info as to where things were, just blah. I guess I caught them off guard?? We come inside with our belongings to go to our room, and they see us entering, and advise me that I will have to pay for my dog who was with us. I explained that I knew that, and the person I spoke with twice on the phone added him on when I reserved. They told me she did not so I would have to go back to the desk to do it. Ugh! All I wanted to do after driving was to get to bed for a few hours of sleep before my kids were anxious to get up and out. I ended up taking my dog out to another facility right away, instead of keeping him there so I went back to the desk and had him removed, which was not done so when I went to check out I had to ask again. The other negative was our patio was gross. Cigarette and cigar butts, trash, leaves and other debris. Asked to get it cleaned so we could sit out there, and first day no one came, second day I called again and he came right away and cleaned it. Okay all the negative out of the way, this is a very nice hotel to stay in. I loved that it was very close to the parks. It is however on the other side away from restaurants and stores but you can't have both :) It was a short drive to the main areas to eat and shop so not bad at all. The restaurant onsite seemed clean and stocked. We only had breakfast each day so not sure about other meals, but the staff was nice, and food was hot and good standards like eggs (definitely powdered or something but most hotels are the same), fruit, cereal, yogurt, sausage, potatoes, and more. Nice way to start the day. The indoor pool was fun and clean, humid inside but that is a common thing. There was a great looking outdoor pool but we didn't go in it. There are also little places around the hotel to sit outside and eat, talk etc. The gym was small but adequate. The grounds outside, floors, halls, all that I could see looked very clean and well maintained. We never smelled any bad orders, or saw anything out of order. I felt bad for the cleaning staff, one woman for the entire floor or more so we didn't ask for it to be cleaned each day. Just once. It was not thorough but definitely good enough. Beds were comfy, sheets and things were clean. Computers in the lobby, wifi access was easy on our own devices. Our room was on the ground floor and it was pleasant. The bathroom was too small....tiny! You could barely turn around enough to sit on the toilet and close the door. We had to have our legs up against the tub to close the door and I am not that tall at all. Imagine a family of 4 with kids trying to get ready for the day, etc. We dealt with it. Bathroom was clean and the sink/mirror are outside of the bathroom so it worked. I am guessing some rooms are worse than others, but our was great. A bit outdated decor or older style but great nonetheless. definitely not OLD like I see some other hotels. Yes older TV but watchable, I do not need a flat screen wherever I go and am not in the room much anyway. We loved our room, I guess we got lucky based on rooms others reviewed. Lobby was very nice, big, relaxing. Bar available as well. Fridge in the room, small but adequate. Check-out was pretty easy and she was all smiles Nikiya I think??? (wish she'd been there for check-in), she also gave a paper to us with information on closest gas stations and the prices which was helpful. They definitely need to work on that process to show more hospitality when guests arrived, think quicker on your feet, make sure information is shared from those on the phone to the clerks at the desk so everyone is trained and ready, etc. Talked to a couple of nice female clerks throughout the trip. One younger clerk comes to mind who was hispanic I think, long dark hair(sorry, no offense just didn't get her name), she was very friendly and helped with questions. Other times I would go and they would have no clue. For example, I went up to ask if this was the hotel that had tea and dessert in the lobby early evening. She said she did not know. How do you not know if your hotel does anything for guests in the lobby daily? Ugh! I probably confused the hotels but a trained clerk would have known the answer. Oh, I am a dog owner and I have children so I totally understand noise. However, a guest nearby had a little yappy dog that barked alllllll day long. We were out a lot so not bothered by it much. However a family next door could not sleep at all, their children were not able to nap effectively, mom was obviously emotional about it, etc. I do not know if anyone complained but I am sure the hotel staff heard it at some point, and maybe they took care of it? I am very happy that there are hotels that accommodate pets (and this one is so clean you would never know it), but be prepared for a dog who may not be quiet, you may have to alert staff so they can alert the pet parents. Otherwise, the stay was very quiet and we felt safe.

Overall, a fantastic place to stay, and we will definitely stay there again when in the area. We would recommend it to couples, families, singles, and even business.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Fort Magruder Hotel? Share your experiences!