“Family friendly with the right price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fort Magruder Hotel

Save Saved
You added Fort Magruder Hotel to your Saves list
Fort Magruder Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6945 Pocahontas Trail, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Crowne Plaza Hotel Williamsburg)   |
Ranked #60 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
“Family friendly with the right price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

As others have stated, the hotel is a good value in an area that is heavily touristed due to numerous attractions. I stayed there in mid-July for my annual family reunion. The organizers hailed the generosity of the hotel as they searched for a venue that could accommodate our small group of 30. They said most other area hotels would not even negotiate group rates for groups smaller than 50. We had use of the banquet room on Friday and Saturday nights. We also had the a suite to use as a hospitality room for family to gather during down times.
Family members got vouchers for a discount on the $12 breakfast buffet on Saturday morning and vouchers for a free breakfast on Sunday morning. Cousins complained of cold eggs, possibly made from a powder on Saturday, but the meal was much better on Sunday morning. The food was hot and tasty. Dinner on Friday night was not great. We had fried chicken and pulled pork with potato salad and green beans. The chicken was fried very hard, making it challenging to eat. The pork was vinegary, North Carolina style. The potato salad was lightly seasoned and heavy on the mayo. The green beans were cooked with so much bacon that finding a bean in the bacon was difficult. Chocolate and lemon cakes were moist desserts. The apple pie on offer looked store bought. Saturday night's dinner of prime rib was markedly better. The beef was fork tender. We were also served a glorious, berry-filled salad. Staff was friendly and gracious in providing for our needs and solving any problems we had.
The rooms are older, as other reviewers stated. There are no flat screen TVs. Opening the sliding glass door to the balcony was a wrestling match that I lost. There is a fridge and coffee maker in the room, as well as an iron and ironing board, all of which were helpful on my trip. The vanity was brightly lit and had a handy magnifying mirror as well. The linens were clean and fresh smelling. The bed was comfortable with ample pillows and warm blankets. The lighting was poor and the room was dimly lit at night. The heat lamp in the bathroom was helpful on that front, but outside of that area the room seemed dark even with all of the lights on at once.
The family took advantage of the indoor pool and visited local attractions, like historic Williamsburg, outlet mall shopping, and Busch Gardens. Overall, we had a great trip and would likely stay at the Fort Magruder Hotel again.

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Perry Hall, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

This place looks decent upon check in. Lobby is decent and girl at the front desk was super sweet. The place is dated. The rooms need a serious update. The beds were horrible. We had 2 double beds, and both beds had huge indents in the middle of the beds. They were extremely uncomfortable. Also, you are very close to the train tracks, so we heard trains coming by. It woke us up in the middle of the night. I would never stay here again and with so many other options, I suggest looking elsewhere. The 2 star hotels would be much nicer than this so called 3*/3 1/2* wannabe.

Stratford, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We selected this hotel because of a Travelzoo voucher. I had stayed there once before and knew it was relatively nice and convenient, and the price was right with the special offer.

It was a bit of a hassle to make the initial reservation, but they more than made up for the problems once they were alerted to the issue. They upgraded our room, so that we felt welcome from the moment we arrived.

Everyone was incredibly nice and helpful, from the front desk staff to John and Daniel in the bar/restaurant. I was traveling with my two school age grandchildren, and they loved the hotel and staff, being made to feel at home in their surroundings.

Having a buffet breakfast as part of the package was such a nice convenience, as we could start the day with the kids happily fed before we took off to visit Williamsburg and Jamestown, which were just minutes away.

The availability of two very nice pools, one indoor and one outdoor, helped make the stay more comfortable during a very hot July week. There were other families with children, the pools were clean and easily accessible, and open until late in the evening.

The beds were clean and comfy, with lots of pillows for the kids to snuggle into.

I would definitely stay again, and recommend it to others.

By the way, I understand they have special rates for W&M grads who are visiting Williamsburg, so fellow alums, keep that in mind if you are returning for a visit!

Room Tip: We liked having a room close to the front desk, elevators, entrance, parking and outdoor pool
Katy, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It has been there a long time and the last major upgrade was several years ago, But it is still a pretty good buy due to location, staff, and restaurant. Desk staff was particularly helpful, (Nikkya has a great personality and smile) restaurant staff in the morning was attentive and helpful. Breakfast buffet was average & pricey.

Bridgeville, Delaware
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

First of all let me say we have stayed here quite a few times before and it was a nice clean place. This year was awful to say the least. The mgt. must have changed. First the smell of musty old carpet hits you when you walk in. Then once you enter your room the bed with no bed skirt shows the two different box springs. The TV is still in an old armoire and isn't a flat screen which isn't a big deal but the armoire took up quite a bit of room. Once we got settled and opened the balcony doors nasty cigarette butts quickly changed our mind to sit out there. Onto the bathroom. Door was banged up and had been repainted several times crack in the toilet bowl lid and a dead spider in the popcorn ceiling. Lightbulbs out on the vanity too. Called for extra pillows for the pullout couch which already had the sheets on it. Ewww how long had they been there. They only brought us three we asked for four but "that's all they could find" was what they said. When we did pull out couch we found some wire nuts and a phone box cover laying in there. Even left it on the floor for maids service and they didn't get it on night two, probably because they didn't bother to vacuum as the strings and lint that were there are night one were still there when we left. Onto the pool.. Decided to order room service from the pool phone but apparently that's not done often evident by the huge bird nest and the bird that flew out at my husband's face. We told the front desk but no one came to look the next two hours we were there by the pool. The one nice thing the grounds are beautiful but the gazebo was missing rails and many were broken. It's ashamed there is great history on this property.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Denise C, Director of Sales at Fort Magruder Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We appreciate your response concerning your stay with us and we hope that you will give us another opportunity to stay with us here at the Fort Magruder Hotel and Conference Center. We are looking forward to some exciting changes in the hotel within the next several months!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I booked this Hotel in June for the NSA World series for the Week of July 13. After hearing from other families their bad experiences the previous year. I decided to stay elsewhere. I called to cancel 5 days before my arrival and was told I would be charged a nights stay for canceling too late. Their policy on the email I received from NSA ans their website states reservations can be canceled up until 6:00 pm the day of the stay. I was informed by Kristine that there was their "general" policy and their was some sort or agreement with the NSA about the cancellation. I am disputing the charge with my credit card company. Apparently this Hotel makes their money with deception and strong arm tactics instead of providing good service!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your concern and response concerning the special event here in Williamsburg next week. Special tournament clauses were established prior to reservations being made with each team representative. We look forward to hosting teams next week and hosting the tournament again in Williamsburg!
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The staff is certainly friendly at Fort Magruder. However the first night I stayed I booked online at Expedia and was charged a reasonable rate. I called the desk that night and asked if could have "the same rate" if we stayed another day. "Yes!" said the clerk at the desk. When I checked out, the 2nd night was almost $16 more plus higher taxes etc. Unfortunately I did not notice this until I got home and more closely examined my bill (my fault). I just now called to straighten out, and the clerk told me that is because I was charged the NEW "same" rate as if I had rebooked on Expedia for the 2nd day. But I didn't do that, I told her, and the clerk on duty had said I would be charged the SAME rate as night before, not SAME EXPEDIA rate. To me SAME means SAME, not SAME as "today's current internet rate" which was not disclosed. Also the room beside us had room service food left outside their door. When we left over 48 hours later, that same EXACT plate of food had never been picked up. That is truly GROSS! (Bugs!) The custodian that works there was very nice and helped us with a sliding glass door that was locked. Staff nice. Billing/sanitation--not so much!

Room Tip: I did not rate Spa or Breakfast...not sure if they have it, but did not inquire or take advantage of...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. We strive to assure that each of our guests have a wonderful experience during their stay and we apologize for any inconvenience that you experienced. We hope that you will return to stay with us again.

Been to Fort Magruder Hotel? Share your experiences!