“At this price range, just a few annoyances impacted our overall experience and lowered the rating considerably” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area

You added Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area
Free Internet + Breakfast
Ranked #17 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Tysons Corner, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Overall, we like the Marriott brand because usually we can rely on consistent good service, cleanliness and overall room ambiance. We chose this hotel for its convenient location to Busch Gardens.

My first impression of our room was that it felt modern and updated. The granite countertop and bath wallpapers stood out in my mind as nice touches. Free wifi in our room was also appreciated.

But so many other things "failed" or stuck in my mind as negatives. First, it was disconcerting to see a security guard camped out in a chair directly in front of the elevators as soon as we got off on floor #2. It was like he was blocking access or going to screen guests before they headed to their rooms. Even though he didn't stop us to inspect our bags or whatever the need for him to be stationed there, his presence was threatening and left me wondering if the hotel had persistent problems with bad guests causing disturbances, or safety issues such as theft or worse.

Next, not sure how close the beach, but why was there sand in my bathtub? There's no way I would have wanted to take a bath. I wished I had brought my reef sandals to wear into the tub when I showered because the grit felt gross, or was it something else. That was one of the most unpleasant showers I've had in a hotel. Reminded me of a hostel where I did bring sandals with me.

Also, with all the rooms upgrades, why did Marriott skimp on the bath towels and shampoo/conditioner? These were the coarsest and thinnest towels I've experienced, more in line with a motel in my experience. And since I have long hair, the amount of shampoo and conditioner was also skimp for two persons sharing the room. And forget body lotion, which most hotels in this price range provide. SKIMP is all I can say.

The balcony my boyfriend requested turned out to be room 245 which backs up to a really busy and noisy Pkwy 199! Trucks roaring by at 3am woke me up more than once and I'm NOT a light sleeper.

Bottom line: with all the hotel choices near Busch Gardens, we probably won't stay here again unless we receive Marriott rewards again since my boyfriend is a travel agent.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms that back to the busy Pkwy 199! Trucks roaring by at 3am woke me up, and I'm NOT a...
  • Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple
Todd W, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Agog84,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the Guest Satisfaction Survey in regards to your recent stay at the Williamsburg Courtyard by Marriott Busch Gardens Area.
We pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience for all guests during their travels. It appears we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology.

You mentioned that it was disconcerting to see a security guard at the elevator on your floor. That was private security for a school group of 7th and 8th graders who were staying with us during your stay. Most student tour groups travel with or hire their own security as a standard practice. Also, we just completed our tub refinishing project which can leave the tubs a bit “gritty” feeling for a few days. This is the non-slip coating that is applied to the tub. As with other Marriott hotels, we only used the approved amenities for our guest rooms. If you ever need additional items such as soap, shampoo or lotion, please do not hesitate to contact our front desk as we would be happy to bring it to you.

Thank you again for your note. Upholding our commitment to provide a memorable experience with exceptional service, we hope to have an opportunity to better your experience with us whenever your travels bring you back to Williamsburg.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Fairfield, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I can't say enough about how wonderful our stay was at this Courtyard. I had a little trouble booking because the Marriott website was not as detailed as it should of been, but it all worked out after a call to Marriott's CSR.

The Courtyard was clean, modern, had all the amenities (free wi-fi, indoor/outdoor pool, bistro, exercise room, laundry room, computers & printers, more) you would want.

Our room looked and smelled clean from the beginning of our trip until the end. It was very spacious with two queen beds, a closet, dresser, large desk and chair, comfy overstuffed chair, and balcony overlooking the courtyard.

The courtyard was really beautiful with perfectly manicured lawn and nicely lit landscaping. A large patio appointed with cushioned sofas and chairs, and lots of tables.

Best of all was the service. Every single member of the staff we met was incredibly friendly and helpful. I can't say enough about how well the staff cared for us. They treated us like royalty.

Next time we visit Williamsburg, we will definitely stay at this Courtyard.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard are a plus.
Green Features: About the same as most hotels. They offered the option of not washing your towels everyday. Most lights were CFL's. Recycling was not obvious. Did not have any specially marked waste bins for recycling.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2015

Decided to stay at a Courtyard since it is a few levels up from some of the other Marriott brands in the area. What a mistake. Other than a nice, newly renovated lobby I thought this hotel was terrible. Rooms were dim and drab with awful wallpaper (rust colored with giant flowers). Towels were thin, but walls were thinner. Could hear people in nearby rooms coughing. Even worse was the air conditioning unit - when it kicked it it was like a motor in our room - so loud. It was better to shut it off and be hot than deal with the noise. Bistro was expensive and the staff there not very friendly. Housekeeping inconsistent as some days we received the extra items we requested, and some days not - and no bath mat for a few days. Just not the level of customer service I am used to from Marriott - very disappointing. As a frequent Marriott guest, this property in my opinion, did not go out of it's way to make it's guests feel welcome. There was no complimentary water, bowl of apples, cookies at night - as we have almost always encountered at other properties. Although this property is 5 min from Busch Gardens, Williamsburg is very small and 10 minutes away are lots of other hotels which are in an area with lots of restaurants and things to do. Wish I would have stayed there - Richmond Road area. I must say that Hector at the front desk, as well as another young lady with glasses (asst mgr?) were very friendly, but unfortunately, there were too many other fails.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Todd W, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, April 15, 2015
Dear pas73,

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Courtyard Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area through Trip Advisor. With a mission to provide superior customer service, we take great pride in serving your needs and are saddened to hear that we have not met your expectations. Most of our guests are enjoying the newly renovated rooms and public but we understand that all tastes are not alike. Our hotel has the same room decor as many Courtyards in North America with the exception of new builds. We apologize that you had an issue with your AC unit. We are have almost completed the installation of brand units throughout the whole hotel. If you ever have this sort of issue in the future, please do not hesitate to contact guest services so we may take care of the problem. Thank you again for your feedback and for staying at the Courtyard Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area and we hope you choose to stay with us again whenever your travel needs bring you back to Williamsburg.
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2015

We stayed here and enjoyed the friendliness of the staff, the quality of the food in the lounge, the cleanliness of the room/hotel, the indoor pool, and the convenience to both Busch Gardens and Colonial Williamsburg. We will definitely be staying here again

Lexington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2015

My son and I stayed here from Wed thru Fri. We had a really nice stay (room 201) with no issues.

Great location for area attraction, esp Busch Gardens.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Shower pressure was great. Food was good. Room, bed, pillows all good. Hot tub temperate was perfect.

Wi-fi was spotty with limited bandwidth.

Special shoutout to Cathy - my buddy who helped me find old places I use to hang out.

Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2015

I attended a conference at the Doubletree and was very pleased with our stay at this Courtyard by Marriott. Parking was ok. The room was very nice with comfortable beds. Staff was super friendly! Didn't really use the small "restaurant" with our rush in and out but for those Starbucks fans, they do have your favorite coffee! Several restaurants were close by and shopping not very far away.This time of year, the area is very beautiful! Check in and out was very quick and even tho the hotel was probably fully booked, there was no wait.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2015

Stayed here with a work colleague for a conference at nearby William and Mary. We had a room on the ground floor with 2 Queen beds. The room was very spacious, with a fridge and a large desk.
Housekeeping does a great job. The room was spotless when we arrived and was cleaned very well during our stay.
Check-in was easy and the lobby is attractive and looked comfortable, unfortunately we didn't have time to use any of the amenities.
The beds were extremely comfortable and the bedding was very nice.
I like a hotel room that has curtains that close entirely so no morning light shines in. These drapes worked well to block the light.
The only complaint I have is that there is only one mirror in the room, above the bathroom sink. Usually when I share a hotel room with a friend, we can count on one of us using the mirror above the dresser to apply makeup or blow dry hair while the other person uses the bathroom mirror.
It was just a minor annoyance and wouldn't keep me from staying here.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area? Share your experiences!