“Substandard for a Courtyard” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area

You added Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area to your Saves list
Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   470 McLaws Circle, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #16 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Substandard for a Courtyard”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is your standard Courtyard Marriott. However, I have to complain about a few things. The room wasn't quite as clean as I would have liked. There were pubic hairs in the corner of the bathroom! Also, the conditioner was used and half empty.

My other complaint is that the walls are quite thin! I was there with my two children, and they were not able to sleep because of the noise coming through the walls on both sides. I called the front desk and they offered to move us. At that point, we were settled in and I did not want to move rooms. The receptionist was good enough to send someone to have a word with our neighbors. They did quiet down, but I was awakened at 2:00am with noise again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
Todd W, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear stellak73,

Thank you for staying with us at the newly renovated Williamsburg Courtyard by Marriott. As we pride ourselves on delivering a memorable hotel experience during your travels, we have unfortunately fallen short of our goal during your recent stay. Please accept our sincere apology for cleanliness issues that you experienced. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate hotel team to ensure that this was an isolated issue.

I was glad to hear that our staff offered to move you after you had issues with noise. Sometimes the hotel can be busy with many families staying to visit the area. I hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you whenever your travels bring you back to Williamsburg.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We recently spent two nights at the Courtyard for a fall weekend of touring Colonial Williamsburg, and this hotel definitely deserves an award for being “most improved.” We stayed here a couple of years ago for a trip to Busch Gardens and really had nothing good to say about the hotel at the time. In fact, we vowed to never come back because everything was in such poor condition. However, since then, the hotel has been completely renovated, and has really turned itself around from a dumpy, outdated property to a great option in Williamsburg. I’m so glad we gave this hotel a second chance.

My family has taken weekend trips to Williamsburg for many years, and we’ve always found that we have difficulty choosing a hotel here. Since Williamsburg is almost solely a leisure destination, its hotels tend to be lower end (with limited exceptions that are usually too expensive to be worth it for a quick trip), as well as simply worn out from all of the family vacation traffic. We’ve found ourselves generally displeased with the options, and the Courtyard was no exception in the past. However, in this case, we ended up giving the Courtyard a second chance because we had Marriott Rewards points to use and happened to notice the new renovations and positive reviews they were receiving.

We were pleased with the renovations from the moment we entered the lobby. While the outside of the hotel isn’t changing anytime soon, and reflects that it’s an older property built in the early 1990s, the interior is finally up-to-date to the current brand standard. The lobby now has the newer Courtyard pedestal-style check-in desks, a bunch of pleasant modern seating areas and tables with computers, and the Bistro for dining (rather than the old Courtyard Café). I mentioned to the very pleasant front desk clerk that I was impressed with the lobby renovations, and she wholeheartedly agreed, admitting that the pre-renovation state of the common areas and rooms had been getting embarrassing from a staff perspective. Check-in on a Friday night was efficient and welcoming, and the clerk was very willing to make sure our room requests were taken care of and that our two rooms would be near each other, despite the fact that the front desk was getting pretty busy at the time. I did find the staff to be one of the few positives when we were here in the past, and this strength seems to have been maintained since then.

We had two rooms, one with 1 king (427) and one with 2 queens (410), down the hall from each other on the top floor. The rooms are in an L-shaped portion of the building, with even numbered rooms on the inside of the L overlooking the indoor/outdoor pool and the courtyard, which features new outdoor seating that looked pretty nice. Odd numbered rooms overlook the parking lot. Definitely get an even-numbered room if you can, since it’s simply a more pleasant view. Also consider requesting a balcony, since only some rooms have them and it doesn’t seem to be a paid upgrade to get one.

Although the hotel isn’t overly large, there a couple of possible places to park and enter the building, so also make sure to figure out at check-in where is most convenient. There is one elevator on either end of the main hallway, both of which are very slow, so we generally opted to take the stairs. The stairs were even surprisingly pleasant and freshly re-carpeted like everything else. More generally, however, the room hallways are one area that needs a bit of work, simply due to poor climate control. Although the carpets have all been replaced in the hallways, I noticed that the hallways were very hot and stuffy, which gives them a bit of a gross, humid feeling that isn’t nice. I remember this being an issue last time we stayed here, and it clearly hasn’t been corrected.

We found both of our rooms to be very nicely renovated, in the typical red and yellow color scheme that you’ll find at many newer Courtyards. Everything has been totally replaced from the old rooms, a renovation that was much needed and much appreciated. All of the carpets, bathrooms, and furniture are clearly new and still in very good condition. Just in general, the rooms here are quite functional, with plenty of outlets, nice sized bathrooms (the sink is outside the rest of the bathroom), a nice desk area, and free wifi that works decently well. We’ve been fans of the newer Courtyard rooms in the past, and since these are identical to what we’ve had at other new or newly renovated properties, we were happy. I was never much of a Courtyard fan in the past, especially after our first experience here, but I have to say that the chain has been making great strides in the past couple of years.

We found that our two rooms differed quite a bit. The king room felt quite a bit smaller than the room with two queens, and on top of that, the room with two queens also had a balcony overlooking the courtyard, while the king room had no balcony and overlooked the parking lot. Despite the smaller size, we weren’t at all unhappy with our king room, especially since there were only two of us in there (although it could accommodate four with the pullout couch, which would be tight). Plus, we find the newer Courtyard layout in king rooms, with the bed perpendicular to the window, to be more functional than a typical room layout anyway.

There were a couple of small room-related issues. Those staying in one of our rooms noticed that they could very easily hear their neighbors through a connecting door. Similarly, that same room also had noise issues from drunken neighbors coming back to their room in the middle of the night and creating a lot of noise that came right in from the hallway. In the other room down the hall, we heard nothing from other guests at any time, either through our connecting door or from the hallway. I guess it’s just luck of the draw regarding noise.

We didn’t really use any hotel facilities. There are a decent sized indoor/outdoor pool and a small fitness room on the first floor. I imagine the pool would get quite crowded with families at busy times of year, but it wasn’t being used very much when we were there.

We tried to get breakfast at the Bistro in the lobby on Saturday morning, but it ended up being a frustrating experience. The Bistro is set up to be a paid option for food throughout the day (there’s never been free breakfast at Courtyards), which includes a limited menu of Starbucks drinks and various hot and cold items for each meal. You order at the counter, with the food then delivered to wherever you choose to sit in the lobby. I’ve tried the Bistro at another Courtyard and found the breakfast food to be decent, but I don’t really see why you’d eat there for other meals unless there was no alternative option nearby. Although the two staff members working the Bistro seemed very nice, there was a long line of people that began to wind through the lobby waiting to order their breakfast when we were there. The staff simply wasn’t able to keep up with all of the food and drink orders, and with no employee designated to take orders, it was getting really backed up. It was also very frustrating that after waiting in the long line, the breakfast sandwiches we were interested in were totally sold out, with only one of the several breakfast sandwich options left at all. The one that was left happened to be a particularly high calorie one that we didn’t want. I don’t understand why they didn’t have more breakfast options in stock, especially since it was still pretty early in the morning at the time. What was supposed to be a very convenient breakfast option right in the hotel ended up being a big waste of time. Luckily there is a Starbucks right by the hotel, only about a minute drive out of the parking lot, or alternatively a five-minute walk down an internal office park road that isn’t busy. We were able to get everything we needed at Starbucks.

In terms of the hotel’s location, it’s on McLaws Circle, right off of Pocahontas Trail. This is basically a quiet office park setting, with a couple of shopping centers on one end, where you can find the Starbucks and a couple of restaurants that are within walking distance, such as the Whaling Company. Across Pocahontas Trail (a main road), which I wouldn’t want to cross on foot, there are a couple of fast food places right there, as well as another shopping center with a couple of restaurants. This section of Williamsburg doesn’t have nearly as many stores, restaurants, and other touristy things as other parts, but it does put you very close to Busch Gardens if that’s your main attraction (it’s maybe a 3 minute drive from the Courtyard to Busch Gardens, if that), but all of Williamsburg is easily navigable by car anyway. Colonial Williamsburg is only about five minutes up the road in the opposite direction, and the much busier sections along the Bypass and Richmond Road with their rows of hotels, chain restaurants, and outlet stores are still within 10-15 minutes of the Courtyard depending on where you’re going. To some extent, I find it much calmer and nicer to stay on the less developed end of Williamsburg by the Courtyard, and do the little extra driving back and forth if I want to go to things on Richmond Road or elsewhere.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay at the Courtyard. This hotel has come such a long way in the past couple of years, thanks to a full renovation that really fixed up everything and didn’t seem to cut corners. The rooms are still in great condition and the lobby has been re-done, so even if the property looks older on the outside, it’s basically a brand new Courtyard on the inside. Combined with a good location (particularly for Busch Gardens), I think this is a really solid option for Williamsburg. I wouldn’t hesitate to come back.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms have a nicer view facing the inner courtyard, while odd numbered rooms have park...
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2014

Courtyards seem to be replacing bedding in some of the older hotels and this one had it. The beds were great. The bathroom is a little small. We were in a suite, so I would have preferred adding a little more space for shutting the door than to have such a big living area. Overall though, was a great stay.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2014

Recently stayed one night at the Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg. The location was great: close to several major roads but removed enough that traffic noise was not an issue. The room and bathroom were clean and modern. Noise did travel in fairly easily from the hallway, but after 10pm all guests seemed to be in for the night. The beds at Courtyard by Marriott are particularly comfortable. Would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Rooms that do not face the courtyard may be quieter when the pool is in use.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2014

This is a wonderful hotel--clean, up-to-date, friendly and professional staff, and the location and setting quite peaceful. It would have received a top rating except for the noise coming from the swimming pool where a gathering of 15-25 teenage girls were frollicking around 10 p.m., and woke me up. I called the front desk, and they took care of it, but I had trouble getting back to sleep from other sounds above me that I couldn't pinpoint. I answered the survey I received from Marriott reciting this incident and questioning why the pool would even be open late at night. Many rooms on all 3 levels face the pool. In spite of this, I will be back when I have an overnight in Williamsburg.

Room Tip: Rooms not facing the pool area are probably quieter.
Green Features: Marriott is a good corporate citizen and implements environmentally sound policies.
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
Barrington, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2014

We stayed one night and we had a nice experience. The staff were all very nice and the room was clean and comfortable. We had a nice breakfast in the lobby the following morning as well. Very convenient to Busch Gardens (1 mile) and Colonial Williamsburg (2 miles).

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Apple S, Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, October 19, 2014
Dear Ms. Deborah,

Thank you very much staying with us during your time in Williamsburg. I am glad that you and your family had a wonderful time and a great experience while staying with us. One of our main goals is providing the excellent service to all of our guests and ensuring that all of the guest rooms and public areas are clean.

To continue improving our service I would like to inquire you more about your stay or any suggestions you may have. So I will be able to pass on your valuable comment to relevant departments and find the ways to better your service.

Again, thank you very much for staying with us and I hope that our hotel will be able to provide the accommodation for you and your family again in the near future.
Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

Spent 4 nights over Columbus Day weekend and was very impressed. Upon check in Apple (yes her name was Apple) made us feel very welcome. We had paid for 3 nights with the Stay for Breakfast package and had the 4th night on points. She was gracious enough to give us the 4th breakfast as well even though the free night did not include it. Breakfast each morning was very enjoyable and the staff was great even on Saturday morning which was a little busier than usual.

The room was clean and quiet and really not much more could I have asked from a Courtyard room. It was certainly in better condition than another nearly identical Courtyard we stayed at a few weeks prior. The only complaint was that it was undergoing some outside maintenance so on occasion the door we needed to enter or exit was not useable due to ladders and workers. Not that big a deal at all. They have a nice indoor/outdoor pool which my son used on the last night.

The location of this Courtyard is excellent. Literally about 3 minutes from Busch Gardens and about 10-15 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg. This is a very convenient location if you are doing the park and the Historic Triangle. Within walking distance of The Whaling Company restaurant which we dined at the last evening and it was by far the best meal we had during our stay.

There are still many things to experience that we just did not have time for so we already started discussing another trip down there for next Summer and I am certain we will be staying at this Courtyard again.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family
Todd W, General Manager at Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area, responded to this review, November 6, 2014
Dear ScottyWags,

Thank you for staying with us at the newly renovated Williamsburg Courtyard by Marriott. We appreciate your feedback and are glad that you enjoyed your stay. We take great pride in providing a clean and comfortable lodging experience to all of our guests...in fact we are a bit fanatical about it. I am glad you enjoyed our staff, especially Apple. She is our Operations Manager and is a huge part of our success. Most of our team members have been with Marriott close to 20 years or more. I apologize that we were in the process of painting and sealing our building during your stay but appreciate your understanding. We are complete with that project and the facade looks brand new. Thank you again for staying with us! We hope to see you in the near future.

Been to Courtyard by Marriott Williamsburg Busch Gardens Area? Share your experiences!