“Not so much, home away so stay home” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Patriots Place

You added Wyndham Patriots Place to your Saves list
Wyndham Patriots Place
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   220 House of Burgesses Way, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Patriots' Place)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #41 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Oregon
“Not so much, home away so stay home”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

The rooms are ok on cleanliness. But this "Resort" offers nothing. Our room/unit smelled like cigarette smoke, was very damp, and as other guests said, you get to share your conversations with neighbors. Its a place to sleep at best. We actually rented a motel room one night to avoid the unit noise and smell. They advertise "your home away from home". Which means no service, you do the work. If this is your idea of a vacation, where you do your room cleaning, cooking, then this may be for you. Don't expect to stay in the unit for any length of time, as the furniture is not made to be comfortable (One hide-a bed and 3 hard chairs for sitting.) Not our type of vacation!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Roanoke, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2010

We arrived at the resort early and as expected our rooms were not ready until 4 pm (normal time). Our check-in was speedy and we were on oru way to our rooms quickly. We had a nice size lock-out unit that was surprisingly nice. We immediately checked all the beds for bed bugs and found none. The bathroom in both sides were fantastic. The 1 BR deluxe has 2 bathrooms. Housekeeping kept us well stocked with all needed supplies.

PROS:
-Comfortable Beds and Bedding
-Large size bathrooms with nice updates
-Bath & Body Works bath samples in all bathrooms
-Organic Kitchen Soaps & Dishwasher Detergent
-Nice Staff
-Weren't pressured into timeshare breakfast
-Sizeable Rooms
-There was construction going on and they incidentally hit a water line. The front desk immediately called our room and said we would not have any water for a while. They promptly bought us bottled water and ice.
CONS:
-The walls are so paper-thin that I could hear the gentleman above us urinating at 6:30 in the morning. You could hear every creak and step upstairs. My infant daughter woke up several times because of the creaks.
-The resort has "tankless" water heaters therefore it takes about 10-15 minutes for your water to heat up in the bathrooms and kitchens. VERY frustrating!

TIPS:
-Ask for a unit that will not have any guests staying above you. You'll thank me in the evening and early morning hours.
-There is a grocery store, Bloom, about one mile from the resort, it is in the same shopping center as the Books A Million. There is a Food Lion in the same shopping center as the outlet mall.
-Bring dryer sheets. The resort provides detergent but not dryer sheets.
-There isn't free wi-fi here. It's sponsored by AT&T and is $6 per day or $30 per week. Go to the Books A Million for free internet.

Kennesaw, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2010

Just was not a great experience for me and my family. As several people said, the walls (and floors) were paper thin. Every time the people upstairs moved, it seemed the floor creaked and made noise. I didn't sleep well at all the first two nights until I went to Walgreens and bought some earplugs. Our room also reeked of smoke. Management acted totally surprised when we brought it to their attention but sent someone with some gel pack air fresheners that we stuck on the air filter (one looked like it had not been changed in years). And top top it all off, there ended up being fleas in our room. Maybe the people that stayed the week before us had pets that the hotel did not know about but they bit me all over my legs and led to an overall terrible experience. I would never stay here again.

Layton, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

We found this hotel a great place to stay, everything was very clean, I had read some of the bad reviews and was a little nervous. I was so relieved when I got there & saw how clean and nice it was. The staff were friendly. I would come again!!!

Westchester County, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2010

We thought this Wyndham was very quaint, looks like it used to be a residential community turned timeshare. You stay in houses that were converted into 4 mini condo's, our room was clean, didn't encounter any bugs. The walls are very thin, heard our neighbors clinging pots and pans during the evening... not a very big deal since it was quiet during the time we were sleeping. The employee's at the front desk were very pleasant and helpful, going out of their way to make you feel at home. The pool was nice, although you are surrounded by tree's so there are lots of bugs... but nothing too crazy, you learn to just deal with it. I believe they may still be renovating since the TV in our bedroom was an older style TV while the TV in the living room was a flat screen, not a big deal... but we found that a bit odd. The only problem we came across was when it came time to the typical time share up sell/upgrade. Two guys came to our room, knocked on the door about 15 minutes after we checked in. One of the guys started off by being pushy, asking why I haven't upgrading since I bought the timeshare and said I was suppose to based on the package I bought. His tone and words just turned me off and I told him I wasn't interested in a presentation during my stay with them. He wouldn't take that for an answer, he said it would only be 15 minutes (LOL) and they would give us breakfast and gifts. I told him we were only their for 2 days and didn't want to use up any time with a presentation when we have no interest in upgrading at the moment. After a little more back n forth he finally told me he would put a "Decline" on my account and that was that. He turned around and left looking annoyed and never giving me the Welcome Kit I was told I was going to receive (not sure if that was out of spite or not). So, everything except for THAT experience was very nice and I would recommend this Wyndham to any timeshare owner looking to visit Williamsburg for a few days.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

Travelled here with my mom and sisters for a little weekend girls getaway. It was their first time at a Wyndham property and my first time at this particular property. Check in was speedy. No pressure to come to one of the sales pitches. The concierge just listed the times on a piece of paper. We got a reminder call on Saturday morning, and when we said no we weren't interested, she said okay and wished us a happy visit/stay. We had a 2 BR Lockout Unit. Perfect for our group of 5. Both units were very clean and well stocked (dishes/utensils) with everything we could need. The extra pillows I requested when we checked in arrived within minutes of us getting to our units. Only one puzzling thing was the 1776 Hotel that is also on the grounds. Couldn't tell what relationship, if any, it had with Wyndham. It seemed vacant and it looked out of place with the rest of the grounds. Just curious.

Speaking of the grounds. They were great! With sitting areas around the two "ponds" (lit at night) one could go for a nice stroll. All in all, absolutely no complaints about Patriots Place. Just a tip, it is a bit hard to see the Wyndham sign, especially at night, but my confirmation letter warned of this so we were on the look out for it and had no problems locating the hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

The walls are paper thin here and my 3 year old son was kept up for 3 hours past his bedtime every night so far that we have been here because of the neighbor's tv. I have stayed in time shares since I was young- for almost 30 years. This is the FIRST time I have ever experienced anything this bad. I called to complain but the front desk couldn't do anything because it wasn't quiet hours yet (which start at 11:00, which is a little absurd to begin with). The kitchen is small, which is fine, but we do most of our cooking in our room on trips like this. There are only 4 plates, 4 cups, etc.- which is hard for a family of 3 that eats 3 meals in the room most days. I have washed lots of dishes.

There are several Wyndham properties in Wiliamsburg and we have had good experiences at the other ones, but will never stay here again. It is not a good place for a family with small children to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to Wyndham Patriots Place? Share your experiences!