“Beautiful Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Patriots Place

Save Saved
You added Wyndham Patriots Place to your Saves list
Wyndham Patriots Place
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   220 House of Burgesses Way, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Patriots' Place)   |
Ranked #35 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, Texas
“Beautiful Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2008

I stayed at Patriots Place the week of 7/26-8/2 2008. I had booked this using a friends time share account and was staying as a guest under their name. We arrived and had no problems at all getting checked in. The staff were very courteous and helpful during the process, giving us directions to our room, and a gift bag and coupon books. Also they gave us a coupon for Busch Gardens tickets which was definitley a plus saving $15 dollars a ticket. We were not solicited at anytime to buy a time share. Most likely because we're only 21, and most time shares require you to be 25 years old.

The room we stayed in was a studio size apartment. It had a Queen size bed, and a little kitchen that included an oven a two burner stove a mini fridge and microwave. All of which seemed clean and in really great shape. The kitchen had all necessary utensils and dish ware. The room over all seemed pretty cleaned and looked as if it had been renovated in the past year. The bathroom was really clean and had a very large sink and mirror. The outlet in the bathroom was broken, and you could not use their hair dryer or plug in a curling/flat iron if you needed to. Also our room was connected to another by a door. And everyone really knows how that can be if it's not well insulated. Our neighbors did have young children with them and were a noisy at times. This was really the only big problem we had. We generally had a great time and would return. This location is great if your looking for somewhere close to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens and want to be off the main highway and back in a nice wooded area.

• Liked — Great place for a great price
  • Disliked — Noisy Neighbors
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

215 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

After a 10 hr drive we drove into Patriots Place and were nicely surprised on how beautiful the grounds were. At check in, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Off to the condo. After checking out the rooms, the staff called to see if you need anything! Very nice! The condo itself was decorated in colonial style and very clean. I would highly recommend staying here for families.There is so much to do around this area and they have activities for the kids in the complex itself . One night was a karaoke party at the pool that was so much fun! This place has everything you need to have a wonderful vacation. We sure did!

Stayed July 2008
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

Our family stayed here for 1 week and it was wonderful. I was a little worried about staying here given the negative reviews of the past but I did not experience anything of the sort. Check in process was quick and smooth, no surprises. We got hit up for the time share sit down but we just said no and that was the end of that. The grounds are beautiful, something out of a movie, typical colonial Williamsburg. The room was clean and well stocked. The linens were clean and not damaged or worn. There was a little bit of poor ventilation in the condo while cooking but we just opened the windows. No big deal. We didn't have an issue with noise from other guests at all. The condo had a picture perfect balcony that looked out into the woods. Very nice. The pool was great, plenty of room, never had to fight for seating. The hotel was centrally located, 5 minutes from Colonial Williamsburg and very close to Busch Gardens. I would recommend this property in a heartbeat to anyone that wants a family friendly stay.

• Liked — The grounds and location
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
VA Beach
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I planned this trip to celebrate my one month wedding anniverssary and plus I only live an hour away (save on gas prices). We stayed here for 2nights and 3 days from August 25-27. First off when my husband and I got there it was alittle confusing because they share buildings with Ramada Inn 1776.

They are connected together. So look for the 1776 sign, it's big and red, and you can't miss it. The Wyndham Sign was very small and short by the side of the road to turn into the resort.

When I checked into the resort the receptionist Melissa already had my itinerary ready, I had called 15minutes prior too because we were running alittle behind, check in time commences at 4pm. We were never called or asked about a time share presentation, and I was very pleased with that.

My only "vent" is that there water heater must had been on a timer or a "ticker" or whatever, because every night a 7pm the water got cold, (maybe it was just my building)? And at 6am it gets hot. I had a deluxe one bedroom condo with full ammenities and it was not newly renovated so it still had the old big jacuzzi that seats "two" comfortably. The new updated just have the regular bathtubs. I was alittle mad because what is the point of being in a jacuzzi if it does not have hot water in it, at least warm water.

My second little "vent" is that I had read the other reviews before I had left about Thin Walls, that is true! If you have small childeren or are traveling with a family, a little WARNING.... the rooms walls are thin and you might here *EVERYTHING* .... My husband and I heard a few *NOISES* during breakfast in the dining area. I just was glad it was just us" visiting for the wknd.

My last WARNING is that the patio is nice it runs from the living room to the master bedroom, but it LOCKS FROM THE OUTSIDE! My husband and I found that out the hard way! A bumble bee was about to fly into the living room, my husband closed the door, and it locked us out of the condo. ((mistake) We had to ask a nice man walking by to get maintenance to come and unlock the door, it took roughly 5 minutes and a nice maintenance man, came out to help us out. Not a long wait at all!

Other than that, I did not have a new updated condo, but it was nice and had an old charm feeling. They supply all the kitchen appliances you should need for your stay including silverware, and bowls, etc.) Also, the living room sofa: folds out into a bed. It came with a stand up washer/dryer and they supply TIde Detergent. And the bathroom came with Bath and Body Works Toilitries, which is nice to most females such as myself. Clean towels. Very Clean Place, No Maid Service during your stay, until you leave. Check out time is at 10am. THey have a DVD Player only in the Living ROom, ONe TV in the Living ROOm, and One in the Master Suite. I brought my own sheets/comforter set, only because of the pictures I saw on this forum and the reviews I had read previously.

Other than that you can use the other ammenities at the sister resorts, I only saw a few swing sets and an outdoor pool, and grills, to grill. They do have a private screened patio for private partys. The restaurants I saw around was Kyotos Japanese Restaurant, they do tricks with knives and stuff, the food was good, just expensivel. Breakfast/Waffles mom and pop shops, Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and a whole lot ot other regualar restaurants you should be accustomed to seeing. THere is a Nice (Good SIze) Outlet Mall with all the Up to date shops you can find a *steal* at it should be a straight shot down the road, ( I believe) they will give you a map during check in. Other than a few *hiccups* it was an ok stay. I will stay somewhere else next time at another resort near by.

• Liked — I like the resort was near alot of restaurants and places in general.
  • Disliked — I hated the cold baths/showers at night, and every little noise from the neighbors.
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NEW JERSEY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2008

We had the opportunity to stay at the Patriots Place in Williamsburg. After reading some of the reviews I was a little nervous but my fears were quickly put to rest. We stayed in one of the recently renovated 1 bedroom units. I was told that any of the units that have not yet been renovated will be done by the spring of 2009. There was plenty of room for myself and my four teenage children. (We brought an aero bed for two of the children). The unit was very spacious and very clean. All of the anemities that we needed to cook in if we wanted were available. We had a washer and dryer in the unit and if we ran out of any soap, dishwasher deteregent etc, it was only a phone call away. People have said that there was no interent access but if you have a laptop or ipod touch wifi was available in the lobby of the Ramada which is the hotel located on the property. You could also access wifi near the ponds or the pool which has wooden swings situated in various areas near them so you can sit while surfing. The pool area was very nice and kept very clean. There was a lifeguard on duty everyday. Patriots Place grounds were kept up very nicely and it was lovely to look at. I made sure that I told the Timesharer representatives that I was not interested in their presentations and they did not bother me once. Off of each living room and bedroom is a wooden deck with two chairs. It was very peaceful to sit outside and enjoy the scenery. Patriots Place is ideally located very close to Colonial Williamsburg as well as the other historical sights. I would definitely return to Patriots Place in the future.

• Liked — The spaciousness of each unit
  • Disliked — would have liked a gameroom for the kids but can go to Kingsgate for that
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
nsully38
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2008

PATRIOT'S PLACE is a quiet, very beautiful landscaped resort. the biggest downside would be the lack of recreational facilities and internet access on site. There is only a small kids playground, a very nice pool (outdoor) and some BBQ grills on suite. The use of facilities at there two sister resorts is welcome. (indoor pools, internet room* (internet use is at an added fee and must be reserved) I would come back again.

• Liked — Clean and quiet
  • Disliked — No real problems with anything
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Central Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2008

We booked a week at Patriot's Place in mid-May 2008 after receiving an offer from a timeshare-tradiing company of which we are members.

Despite reading mixed on-line reviews of the resort from other travelers, we decided to see for ourselves. Our experience was in sharp contrast to some of the more crticial reviews we'd seen.

Our greeting at the check-in desk was one of the warmest, most sincere we've received in over a decade of timehshare travel. They kept the paperwork to a minimum, but were extremely helpful with maps of the resort, explanation of resort policies, maps of the general area and the typical questions one has when checking into any resort for the first time.

Because previous reviews had noted problems with units not yet refurbished under an ongoing unit upgrade program and with noise, we had called ahead and requested an already-refurbished unit in a quieter area of the resort. We got both!

Our second floor, one-bedroom unit, while not new, showed no unusual signs of wear-and-tear or neglect. When we called to make our requests, the staff thoughtfully checked to be sure that a second-floor unit was acceptable (because the resort buildings have no elevators), and except for the normal aggravation of carrying things up and down stairs during move-in and move-out, we found it quite acceptable.

The kitchen and bathroom areas of our unit had obviously been upgraded fairly recently with new countertops, fixtures, etc. and although the stove and refrigerator both appeared to have been around for a while, both were in excellent working order. The overall unit was as-advertised: large bedroom with king-sized bed and ample closet and bureau space, a bath and three-quarters (including whirlpool tub), good-sized fireplaced living room, dining area seating six and kitchen, plus a balcony accessible from both the bedroom and living room.

We experienced only two minor problems with the unit during our stay and both were very promtly rectified. After we had trouble with the radio-alarm clock and reported it to the office, a replacement arrived within half an hour. And one evening during the week, we arrived back in our unit to find it exceptionally hot and stuffy. We reported a suspected air conditioning problem to the office about 8:20pm and were very surprised when two resort technicians arrived within fifteen minutes, discovered a blown fuse in the external portion of the a/c unit, and had things back in working order within twenty mintes of our call!

Although Patriot's Place ammenities might not be complete enough for mid-to-teen-aged children, there were quite comfortable for these two retirees. Ample opportunities to stroll through well-landscaped, well-maintained grounds; benches for sitting and watching Canada geese on or near the resorts two ponds; well maintained tennis court; and outdoor grills, picnic tables and swinging benches for getting outside. We also found our balcony to be a very relaxing place for knitting, reading or just listening to the birds in the numerous mature trees and bushes.

Patriot's Place does share ammenities with two other Wyndham resorts in Williamsburg -- one at no charge and the other, with more advance technological attractions, for a small fee. We did visit Wyndham/s Governor's Green resort to use their computer room for e-mail and website errands, their billard room and their indoor pool (the outdoor pool at Patriot's Place was being prepared for the summer season but not yet open during our visit). At Governor's Green, we felt warmly welcomed as visitors from Patriot's Place and had no problems using their facilities.

The only less-than-enjoyable part of our visit was our experience with the Wyndham Resorts sales staff. Following our check-in at Patriot's Place, their front desk staff directed us to their Concierge staff (different part of a common check-in area). After providing several maps and other useful tourism information, they asked if we'd be willing to take a Wyndham customer-satisfaction survey in exchange for two two-day admissions to Historic Williamsburg (worth $49.00 each). We asked if it was a sales presentation and were assured it was "only a customer satisfaction survey about your experience coming to Patriot's Place. Wyndham has recenrly acquired Patriot's Place and wants to make sure the reservation, booking and check-in experiences are up to Wyndham standards." When we said we'd participate in a survey but were not interested in any kind of sales presentation, we were again assured, "it's only a survey" and agreed to schedule an appointment. When we arrived at the appointed location (over at the Governor's Green resort), the reception area had the look and feel of a sales presentation, but we decided to see how things went. We were not totally surprised, but were disappointed and disgusted, to find out it was, indeed, a sales presenation. Our initial sales person did ask a few satisfaction-related questions before beginning his sales pitch, and backed off fairly easily when we told him we thought we'd been enticed to his presentation under false pretenses and were not interested in what he was offering. His manager was more aggressive, but also backed off after we told him he was creating a poor impression of Wyndham Resorts with two people having their first encounter with that chain, promising to "send over the lady with your Williamsburg tickets." She arrived and promptly launched into yet another effort to sell us Wyndham Resort ownership. We had to get very abrupt before she would accept that we thought Wyndham Resorts as a corporate entity had been less than truthful with us at least three times already regarding and during their presentation and were not inclined to do business with anyone who treated their customers that way. However, we did recieve the two tickets as promised and ultimately enjoyed our Historic District visit courtesy of Wyndham.

Other than the encounters with Wyndham Resorts sales staff, we encountered none of the problems mentioned by previous Patriot's Place review writers. The furniture in our unit and the unit itself certainly were up the the standards we expect from good timeshare operators; the noise levels from other units were non-existent or far less than those we've encountered at other timeshares or hotels; noise from outside sources such highay traffic and maintenance vehicles was miminal or non-existent. In fact, considering it's location directly on the US Route 60 Bypass, Patriot's Place experiences virtually no traffic noise at all because it sits well back from the highway and has sufficiently mature landscaping to screen or absorb that noise.

We did find the US 60 Bypass location extremely handy to the Williamsburg Historic District, routes to Jamestown and Yorktown, downtown shopping (including pharmacies, grocery stores and the like), and very handy for access to Rt 60 restaurants, outlet malls and other tourist attractions.

We definitely would consider a return visit to Patriot's Place with the following stipulations: we would call ahead again to request a rennovated unit in a quieter area of the resort and we would be particularly suspicious of anything said by or offered by any representative of Wyndham Resorts as a corporate or sales entity. But the on-site staff at Patriot's Place was one of the the most pleasant, most profesional and most responsive we've encountered anywhere in over a decade of timeshare resort experiences and our overall visit experience was extremely positive.

• Liked — Exceptional staff; convenient location; "as advertised"
  • Disliked — Overzealous timeshare sales staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wyndham Patriots Place? Share your experiences!