“There are much better places, especially for the money” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Patriots Place

You added Wyndham Patriots Place to your Saves list
Wyndham Patriots Place
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   220 House of Burgesses Way, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Patriots' Place)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #37 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
State College, Pennsylvania
“There are much better places, especially for the money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

They call themselves a resort....it's not a resort.....
I have stayed at lots of places throughout the world, but this is one of the worst that I have stayed at, when considering the money that they are charging....For this trip it was a family vacation - myself and two elementary aged boys.
On the surface, the place looks really nice. It looks like a small townhome village....but looks can be deceiving.

The Good:
--The bed and pillows were VERY comfortable.
--There are laundry facilities on site - in each building. If you are in an "A" unit you have a washer and dryer in your room. If you are in a "B" unit you have a washer and dryer in your building....and they are free to use - no coin operated crap....
--The front desk has board games you can check out - for free. Good for a rainy or lazy day in
--The fridge is a good size
--you get plates, bowls cups cutlery, pots/pans, blender, toaster microwave...lots of kitchen stuff, but...there is no room to have them out to use them
--You get access to all of the facilities at Kingsgate.
--Plenty of counter space in the bathroom. (If the kitchen had as much counter space as the bathroom maybe you could actually use some of the appliances)

THE BAD:
--The sign on the road is not lit up at night, so it is VERY hard to see - especially since the property is not right on the main road, and the street is also hard to see
--You get the standard array of toiletries on the first day, and that's it....no refresh of toiletries
--they only refresh your towels once during a week long stay
--They only take out your trash once during a week long stay
--The sheets for the pull-out couch bed had stains on them
--The walls and the ceiling (we stayed on the ground floor) were very thin. I could hear the upstairs neighbors jumping all the time...and one time when I was in the bathroom I could even hear the upstairs neighbor peeing.....Every time the phone rang in the next door neighbors room (quite often), I actually thought it was my phone
--No cold water, or ice waiting for you in the fridge / freezer
--There is only about 6-8 inches of counter space - no room to actually USE any of the appliances that are stashed in the cupboard above the fridge
--There is no space for dry goods - I'm a little OCD, and really don't like my cereal boxes on my bedroom dresser.....
--There were stains on the walls
--There is no food, to include even a continental / cold breakfast
--There are no real fun facilities on site - just an outdoor pool, and a very small playground
--very little sidewalks to walk on from your room to the pool
--no shuttle service to nearby local attractions or airport or even their other facility
--A request for maintenance went unfulfilled - the DVD player in our room did not work, and they did not replace it. We rented a movie on one of the rainy days, and couldn't even watch it.
--The TV in the bedroom is still and old CRT standard def TV.
--Only one DVD player - and it's only DVD, not Blu-Ray (really, how much does a DVD player or a 20" flat screen TV cost???)
--No Alarm Clock in the "living room" for anyone sleeping on the pull out couch
--Wall outlets are not plentiful, and are located in less than convenient locations
--Not enough power outlets in the bathroom.
--There is no heater or independent temp control for the bathroom
--The registers for the HVAC in the room - when the curtains are closed, the forced air goes right up the curtain - and thus, pretty much out the window, and does not give you the desired temp in your room.
--It's small. If you book a 1 bedroom, do not expect that 4 adults can fit. 2 adults and 2 kids was a squeeze
--There was really no lawn room for the kids to play on
--There really aren't that many TV channels - it might be basic cable and that's about it.
--If you don't stay for 7 nights they may try to charge you a $75 housekeeping fee
--If you get in late one night good luck finding a parking place.

KINGSGATE FACILITIES
--Jacuzzi - it's nice. Kids under 14 must be accompanied by an adult, and no kids under 18 after 6pm
--There is an adults only pool
--There is a little bar at the pool with some food and drinks
--There is a smaller pool for kids
--Indoor and Outdoor pool.
--Gym
--Small convenience like store
--Mini Golf - this really needs some work. Don't get me wrong, it's free, which is nice, but the clubs have seen better days, the the green/turf needs to be cleaned....well, really it needs to be replaced. It looks like they haven't done any maintenance on it, including using a broom on it, for about 3 years. Looks like the green/turf has been there for about 10 years.
THE ARCADE
--On-site arcade - and the games are free - this is great....except..that about 25% of the games were turned off because they were "out of order"...and one of the driving games needs some serious work on the steering wheel.
--Pinball machines - this is where most of the adults hung out, but many of the pinball machines needed several lights replaced
--classic games (by classic I mean like Space Invaders classic), and newer games
Console gaming - PS3, XBOX 360 and Wii - they have games and controllers at the desk
--Pool. If you are a serious pool player you will be annoyed. the table is in the middle of the room and there are lots of kids running around with total disregard for your game
--Air Hockey
--DVD movie rentals - $2 each.....really....even RedBox is cheaper than that!
--If you are staying at Patriots Place your room key will not open the game room doors, you need to ask for a key at the service desk for that.
--Movie Theatre - but they have rather odd times for their movies (my opinion)....and I really didn't find their selection of movies to be all that great.

LOCATION
The location is not too bad. There is nothing within walking distance, and no where to go for a run. It takes about 5 minutes to get to Colonial Williamsburg visitor center, KMart, and KingsGate facilities and about 10 minutes to Busch Gardens and Water Country USA, and about 15 minutes to the Outlet Stores, Go Kart Plus and Ripley's Believe it or not, Wal-Mart and gift shops.

During the summer, it appears that they do road construction during the night. Their detour signs are less than stellar, so be sure you have some kind of GPS to help reroute you....

CONCLUSION
For the price they want for you to stay I could have stayed at a regular hotel or suite, probably had just as much room, and would have had breakfast, daily cleaning service and toiletry refresh.....If this was a Super8 I would not have expected so much, but for a Wyndham and for a place calling itself a resort, I expect much more.

I hope my review has been helpful

Room Tip: "A" suites have washer and dryer in the room. "B" Suites have washer and dryer...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Salisbury, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is a timeshare "resort" by Wyndham. You will be asked if you want to do a tour. We did for an $80 gift card. Was not impressed with Wyndham. Especially their affiliated hotels which included the abandoned Knights Inn on the Patriot Place property. Eyesore. The unit itself was ok. Plenty of room. Pretty clean except for the few roaches we saw. (one inside the unit and 2 on the outside. This unit was up against a wooded area so you never know what critters you may see. We had an upper unit. Close to Historic area. Could walk if you don't mind the mile to and from. You have access to Wyndam Kingsgate. There is more to do on that property. The only thing Patriot Place had was a pool. This was a gifted week to us so I do not know how much this property would have cost to give a "value" opinion.

Room Tip: As everyone states, be sure to ask for an upper unit. The blender was not very good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dumfries, Virginia, USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I have stayed at plenty of places when visiting Williamsburg..hotels and timeshare, but I have to say this was the worst ever. Wyndham has 3 properties in the area and they should probably consider tearing down this one! From the outside the place is quaint - resembling a small residential community. But as soon as I opened the door to our building I wanted to scream. I don't know who was cooking or what was on the menu, but it stunk! Once inside our unit, I was greeted by the neighbors television, which came through the walls loud and clear. I mean it was so loud, it was as if we were sharing a room with the people next door. Whatever they were cooking set off their smoke alarm, which made the stinky situation smell even worse. Then our upstairs neighbor came home...I call him King Kong, because that's what it sounded like...a gorilla stomping on the floor above us. I honestly thought he was going to come thru the ceiling. We were only in town two nights, and spent as much time away as possible to avoid the smells and noise that surrounded us. When it was finally time to sleep, the annoying sound from the fridge made falling asleep very difficult. But enough about me...the units are old and in great need of repairs and updates. Timeshares are supposed to be a step up from a hotel, but I would have much rather been at a hotel. Oh and one more thing, whatever you do, avoid the free breakfast! Those of you familiar with timeshares will know what I am talking about. We got $80 for going, but I would gladly give it back to avoid the entire scenario.

Room Tip: Request an upper level unit, at least you don' have to hear anyone above you.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

We were expecting an up-to-date resort. I know that Wyndham wants to keep the colonial look. However, I am sure that they could keep that look by up dating appliances (appliances were mix matched and old), exterminating (ants and other bugs everywhere), deodorizing the rooms (smelled like dirty carpet, smoke, and feet), up dating tvs/furniture (old televisions/furniture), and offerring more amenities to guest (There is only one outside pool and small basketball area. Guest have to go to other Wyndham properties in the area to use amenities). So Disappointed!!!

• Stayed July 2013
KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

This is an OK place, but nothing too great. We arrived very early in the day (10 a.m.) & let the staff know we were there and asked if at all possible we would like to check in early. Check-in is normally at 4 p.m.I realize they are under NO obligation to allow us early check-in, but letting them know that early in the morning, we were kind of expecting we could get in at maybe 1 p.m. We had 4 kids with us, so we entertained them at pool while we waited. We ended up checking in at 3:30. Gee, thanks for the great service & helping us out... knowing there were tons of units available for people who weren't even there yet. We just felt they could have cleaned our unit a *little* earlier. They obviously saved it for close to last. OK, over it. The unit itself was a good size, nice little kitchen with everything we needed. Decor was appropriate for Williamsburg. We were near the pool & a grill, so it worked well for us. We were on the go & spent little time in the unit. The pool is very nice and there are towels there so you don't have to bring them down from your room. There is also an enclosed playground for the kids... As far as location, these condos are literally 2 minutes to Colonial Williamsburg! Also a very short drive to Water Country USA & Busch Gardens!

Room Tip: We wanted to be close to the pool, but also near a grill. There is a map on the condo website &...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013 via mobile

Having contacted the resort ahead of time to coordinate some plans, I was surprised the resort manager Glenn was taking calls. He not only assisted our party with appropriate arrangements, he even checked on us during our stay despite it coinciding with his scheduled time off.

Upon arrival we were greeted by staff who made us feel they honestly cared that we enjoyed ourselves. The room was magnificent, held some wonderfully sweet surprises, and our stay was simply perfect.

We were not pestered by sales pitches, which makes me feel inclined to consider buying, and we weren't chasing a parking pass that many properties hold ransom until you sit for the pre-sales pitch.

I can't say enough wonderful things about this place. It's furnished beautifully, updated for the most part, well maintained, and staffed with people who really enjoy working there. Book it!

• Stayed April 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for the week in a 1 bedroom unit on the top floor of these brick condos. The picture on trip advisor for this place shows the now vacant & run-down Kings Inn which rests at the top of the hill of Patriots Place property. The place itself is quiet and nestled among trees and hills. As far as amenities, they offer an outdoor pool, small basketball court, & a volleyball court for which you can check out the equipment. For those families looking for amenities, this is not for you. If you are looking for a nice, quiet, convenient place to stay after your long days in the Historic Triangle, Busch Gardens, & Water Country USA, then this place offers you just that. After a freak wind-damaging thunderstorm, we were without power for about 12 hours all night on Thursday the 13th and slept with the condo windows open. Luckily, there was an occasional breeze. The down side was that they use tankless water heaters; hence, there was no hot water for showers in that time! Only B condo visitors get a mid-week towel exchange but we did have a washer a dryer. I could go either way on returning here in the future.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Wyndham Patriots Place? Share your experiences!