“Not what I was expecting.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Patriots Place

You added Wyndham Patriots Place to your Saves list
Wyndham Patriots Place
2.0 of 5 Resort   |   220 House of Burgesses Way, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Patriots' Place)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
15% Off
Ranked #41 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
perryville, md
“Not what I was expecting.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We checked into the Wyndham patriots place resort in Williamsburg late on a Tuesday night. I was disappointed by how cramped the room seemed. Furniture takes up every inch of the room. Our main complaint, however was that the room had no hot water. It says in their welcome packet that they have switched to tankless water heaters, which are fantastic. But it recommends that you run the water for a few minutes to reach the desired temperature. We ran the water for nearly ten minutes the first night before we admitted defeat and settled for a quick cold rinse. We contacted the service desk the next morning and they said they would look into it. We left for a day of exploring the Williamsburg area, and when we returned, we had hot water! We grabbed showers and left for dinner. Alas, upon returning for the night, no hot water. After stopping into the service desk Thursday morning to mention it again, we returned that afternoon to find rather rude notes taped to the bathroom sink and shower. "Please call the service manager so he can explain to you how to use the hot water" and "Hot water is this direction." Yes...I know what direction the hot water is on a faucet. We just had hot water the day before. We decided enough was enough and we checked out two days early. We won't be returning.

Side note: the room was very clean, the kitchenette was very small, and the bed was the firmest thing I have ever attempted to sleep on.

• Stayed September 2012

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I'm glad I didn't listen to the reviews about the studio room. It was cute, clean and comfortable. It was small but I was on vacation and didn't plan on cooking anyway. I could have cooked on the little 3 burner stove if I wanted to but why? Lol! It was quiet. I'm glad I didn't go when a bunch of kids were there. We would definitely go back!

• Stayed September 2012
DC Metro Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed went for our anniversary vacation -- a do-over from last year's hurricane. The living quarter walls are paper-thin. We could here the family in the other unit all the time, even when we were trying to sleep-in. The location and swimming pool were nice. You will have to use the sister resort (5 minutes away) to enjoy true amenities. I decided to jog around the complex because I didn't want to drive to the other resort. The studio unit is very quaint. The kitchenette area is extremely small and the cabinets were awkward and hard to reach (though they provided a step stool). The did provide a mini-fridge since there under the counter fridge was only a size and a half larger than a large mini-fridge. Midweek linen changes and trash removal were nice...just wished they had cleaned the entire room, or at least the bathroom. Staff was courteous, and responsive to vacationers deciding to have their small dog 'exercise' in the pool. Yuck!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

My wife and I have been here a few times since we first started coming to Williamsburg for vacations and the stays have always been okay.We booked it through RCI's Extra Vacations which means we paid cash for the week rather than using one of our spacebanked time share weeks.We were a little nervous when we read some of the recent reviews about mice in some of the units and and aggressive and pushy time share sales attempts but we only saw one spider in the very clean room and did not get bugged about the time share presentation probably because we checked in at 8:30 in the evening on 09/01.The grounds are well kept and Wyndham has made a few positive changes since they took over from Fairfield.We had a studio unit which was fine since it was just two of us.The bed was comfortable and it had a mini kitchen with a small electric stove,mini refrigerator and a microwave oven.They use tankless heaters for hot water so you have to let the water run for a few minutes before it gets hot.There are no amenites other than the pool but you can go to the sister resorts,Governor's Green or Kingsgate if you feel like taking a short drive to them.All in all it was a nice and quiet vacation for a middle aged couple but there was quite a bit of traffic because of the Labor Day weekend and the Williamsburg Premium Outlet Mall was packed on Labor Day because of the sales but when we went back a day later it was peaceful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Had a very memorable vacation at the Wyndham- I had been traveling for three weeks with my kids and found this resort a perfect place to relax for my last week. The staff was wonderful, attentive and willing to assist. Special mention to Kris and Maria Perez, who were so friendly and a pleasure to deal with. The location was convenient to everything- restaurants, attractions, shopping, tours etc. The gardens were well-kept and the grounds, clean and maintained properly. Housekeeping was quick to respond and very courteous .

Would not think of staying anywhere else on my next trip to Williamsburg.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

My family stayed here over the labor day holiday. I booked a 2 bedroom unit to travel with my husband, my father and my father's girlfriend. We were very pleased to be given a "lock off" unit so that each couple had a living and kitchen area. This worked great for us since we have not traveled together before and gave us space while still being able to be together. The unit was clean and well supplied and near all of the major attractions. We look forward to staying again in the future.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Fort Washington, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

This is a very nice resort. I obtained it through through RCI exchange. It's well kept, with up to date appliances.I was really wreary about going when I read the reviews about inside of the property. To my surprise, it was well kept. The staff were really helpful and friendly. I wasn't aware that there was a $100 hold placed on your credit card. I didn't know that until I checked in. I know hotels usually imprint your credit card, but not to the extent to a $100 hold. We checked out on the August 19th and still haven't been credited the $100.

The were a couple of issues that I had. One, was that there weren't many activities for small children. In order to use the indoor/outdoor pool, you had to go to their sister resort which was Wyndham Kingsgate. It wasn't that long of a drive but who wants to have to drive for activities? And the timeshare presentation. Their representatives, well the one that I had, was extremely aggressive. I understand the whole timeshare business and didn't want to need to purchase another timeshare. The representative didn't seem to understand that I didn't want another one. Instead of it being 90 mins, it turned into 3 hours; which was extremely frustrating.

The first night I really didn't feel safe because there weren't any locks on the door to the building. Anyone can come in at any time and no one would know. Another thing was the parking. If you weren't in your unit by 9:30pm, you had to park far away. The parking lot wasn't well lit so I found it very dangerous walking to about 50 feet, with an infant and toddler, to my unit.

It wasn't too far from Richmond Ave, which have all the restaurants and the Prime Outlets. I love to shop so being that close to it was fine.

In all, this is a very nice resort for couples. You'll enjoy a nice and quiet time there!

Room Tip: make sure you return to your unit before 9:30pm.