“Won't stay here again” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Wyndham Patriots Place

You added Wyndham Patriots Place to your Saves list
Wyndham Patriots Place
2.5 of 5 Resort   |   220 House of Burgesses Way, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Fairfield Williamsburg at Patriots' Place)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #37 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
GreenLeadersBronze level
NJ
“Won't stay here again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2007

We stayed here last week for a few nights. We actually moved out a night early because we were not happy. I read all the negative reviews before we left, so I called the resort to request a renovated room. We got a renovated studio. It was small, but clean. It was suppose to have a queen bed. It was a double. We are use to sleeping in a king. The walls are very thin. We could hear both neighbors (next door and upstairs). Everytime the people upstairs flushed their toilet it was very loud. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. The grounds were nice, but the rooms were not to our liking. We won't be staying here again. We will stick to Marriott.

• Liked — Location to attractions
  • Disliked — Small bed. Noisy neighbors.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
North East, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2007

My husband and I stayed here Oct 7-14, 2007. The room we booked was a 1 BR deluxe (full kitchen) and I said (before booking it) that we require a JACUZZI in the room. They assured me there were rooms w/ that available (the older rooms have them, the newer ones they are renovating do not, but they checked the schedule and said there were still plenty available for that week and for us to call a few weeks ahead of time to make sure we were in one). Well, I called 2 wks prior and they said it was no question we'd get a room w/ a jacuzzi because we were checking in on a Sunday and ALL of the Sunday check-ins get those units. Just the same, they put it on my reservation to guarantee us one. When we arrived (4:45 pm), we were told the room we have had no jacuzzi in it, so we had to insist and finally they changed us and gave it to us, but it wasn't easy. (I just wanted to let you know this if this was something you require).

The grounds were beautiful and the groundskeeping crew worked every day while we were there and it looked fabulous! The unit itself was the "old" unit (not redone yet) but still very nice. It had been repainted since the original and was clean. The kitchen cabinets were very high (and I am average height, but reaching that top shelf was nearly impossible, so we didn't use it!). The kitchen was small, but functioned for what we needed. The living room was a nice size, but there was no DVD player and we took a bunch of DVDs with us to watch (we ran out to the Dollar General store and got a player for $30) but there was a VCR. There was a nice fireplace in the living room that we enjoyed a lot (so bring duraflame logs!) The jacuzzi tub was in a separate room off of the bathroom and living room and it had a light dimmer so it was nice to turn it down and just relax. The shower was a stand up shower only and the water pressure wasn't that great. The stacking W/D was in a closet in the bathroom (which was great when you wanted warm dry towels after your shower!). The bathroom was a nice size with a big counter and even storage cabinets in there. The bedroom was a nice size too w/ a small balcony off of it (with a door from the living room too). The bed was not horrible, but certainly not a great bed. The linens however, were absolutely atrocious!!! The blanket was so rough...I washed it before using it (just because I don't like using it after other people w/o washing it) but it was still just as horribly rough. It had holes all over it. We even took pictures of it because no one would ever believe how horrible it was! (you can email me for the pics if you want: tellcaroline@yahoo.com). So, if you book this place, take your own blanket! :-) The towels weren't any better...no holes, but they basically felt like sandpaper on your skin. We did have to walk up a set of stairs every time we went to our unit, so keep that in mind if you can't climb steps.

Also, this place didn't have much ammenities...there was an outdoor pool on the grounds and a playground, but they had two other resorts you could use. We went to the Governor's Green resort of theirs (about 2 miles or less up the road) to use their computers (they had a small indoor pool and a very plain mini-golf course there too). They had another sister resort you could use, but that cost $5 a day.

The location was FABULOUS!!! It was the first hotel as you entered the strip (Bypass Rd). It was so convenient. When we went to Colonial Williamsburg/Busch Gardens/Newport News etc...we went left, but everything else (shopping/eating) was to the right. So MANY shops/restaurants were on that main road (about 3-5 miles contained all the restaurants/shops and outlet shopping)...it was so easy to get around. We just loved that about the area. Being from out of town it is easy to get lost in a resort area, but not here...it was basically one road (well, Bypass Road bears off into Richmond Road which was the main one).

If you go and you like seafood...go to Captain George's seafood buffet...well worth it (we went twice during our week there!). Be sure to check out all of the Christmas stores there too, they were wonderful! We did Colonial Williamsburg, but just walked through it and didn't get the tickets. We did go to Busch Gardens (and enjoyed all the coasters including the new Griffin coaster!). We did 2 timeshare presentations (one from Wyndham for $75 cash and then one for another chain and got the tickets to Busch Gardens...of the 2, the Wyndham had the better deal, but we weren't interested). There was also a great mini-golf place we went to on Bypass Road..it was $7.50 a person but the atmospher was well worth it...all pirates and it was really cool!

All in all, it was a beautiful place to be....the condo was nice (even w/o being redone) and we'd go back. We didn't take our small children and I think that was a good idea, it was best enjoyed by adults..kids would get bored pretty fast here! :-)

• Liked — LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! (and the bargain price we paid)
  • Disliked — the linens were horrible, if we go back, I would bring my own.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Quakertown
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2007

We reserved our stay thru Sky Auction and were booked for a one bedroom deluxe. We arrived late on Sunday night and went to our room which was a one bedroom efficiency. When I called to inquire about the situation I was told that I would have to wait unitl the morning. I called the office in the moring and was then told that I would have to contact RCI to make the change. Since I was booked thru Sky Auction, I called them, but they did NOTHING. Actually, Sky Auction told me that I should be happy to be there for such a great price, which I agree with. However, it is not the price that matters, but the contract which no one felt obligated to honor.

The room was old looking and when we woke up in the morning after getting into bed late at night, I saw that there was dried blood on the top sheet. (not mine!) That was gross to say the least. I have read in othere posts that they are remodeling the rooms one by one. I guess this unit has not been done.

The man who works at the desk was not very helpful at all. Also the woman at the activities desk had no knowelege about WIlliamsburg. She was very kind, but not prepared for the job.
All in all, I would not stay here again. I have been at three other resorts in Williamsburg, and all of them were nicer.

Stayed October 2007
CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2007

My husband and I just returned from Williamsburg, VA and staying at Patriots Place (Sept. 30-Oct.6). We had a one bedroom unit with full kitchen, large bathroom (separate area with a soaking tub) and stackable washer/dryer. We had an easy check-in, nice, friendly staff everywhere we went (we liked Francisco). Turned down their timeshare presentation and were not hounded further. The place was clean and well-kept, most everything was updated. This was our second visit to Williamburg, last time we stayed at Powhattan Plantation, and we liked Patriots Place much better, much nicer facilities and much better location. My only complaint with Patriots Place is the walls seem a little thin.. we had a loud neighbor for the first 2 days (we did not ask to change rooms as we didn't want to move all our stuff as we had already unpacked before these people showed up.) But they only stayed the weekend. The rest of the week was great. P.S. Don't eat next door at the 1776 place, the food is terrible!

• Liked — clean, updated, nice surroundings, good location
  • Disliked — thin walls
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

My family and I stayed at Patriots Place in September. The property is very well kept and clean. The grounds keepers do an awesome job with the place. The Front desk staff at check-in were great as well. We were booked into a two bedroom standard (sleeps 6). The unit had been recently renovated and very nicly done at that. New carpet and fresh paint, new flooring in kitchen and bathroom as well as beautiful granite counter tops in the kitchen and bathroom. We really love it!!! We also had a two bedroom deluxe (sleep 8). That unit did not look to be renovated but it was in very good shape. I talking to the staff, the mentioned that the renovations were still in process and will be complete in two more years. My family and I will be back to visit Williamsburg and will stay at Patriots Place.

Attractions in the area: Busch Gardens, Water Country, Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown Battlefield, Jamestown, Lots of shopping and good food.

Other Sister Resorts:
Kingsgate- great place to take the kids, $5.00 a day per unit game room, indoor and outdoor pool and more.
Governors green- no game room but they have a small pool hall, indoor and outdoor pool and more--no extra fees.

• Liked — Great rooms and great service
  • Disliked — nothing bad to say...
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Menifee, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2007

Our unit was a 1 bedroom on the second floor with a full kitchen, which was ok in size and amenities for 2 adults and 2 kids. However, the furniture is shabby, the sofabed was awful and the kitchen really just a small area in the living room and difficult to use. If you do want to cook, its a good idea to bring spice packets, condiments and other non-perishable basics from home so you don't have to buy full sizes upon arrival. The nearby grocery stores are decent as are the many family restaurants. The pool is outdoor and only open in the summer.

It is a short drive to Colonial Williamsburg which the kids liked a lot, especially on Thanksgiving with the traditional food. Other days we enjoyed the historic taverns with the group games and songs. The 1 hour drives to other living-history sites were only worth doing because we had plenty of time and knew we wouldn't be back in the area again while the kids were still young enough to be interested. More valuable, for us, was the 2 hour drive to D.C. to spend a long day exploring the Smithsonians. I didn't know that even the zoo was free! We packed snacks and lunch at the condo, drove up and parked at a Metro stop and zipped around all day on the excellent public transit system. Tons of fun!

• Liked — near Colonial Williamsburg, private bedroom, able to prepare simple meals
  • Disliked — shabby, run down, uncomfortable beds and furniture
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2007

We were pleasantly surprised when we drove up to this place after reading some of the negative reviews. The property was very pretty with spacious grounds, fountains and a pool. Our room was in building 4, an upstairs unit. We had one bedroom and a pull out sofabed. The furniture was colonial style. We had a dining room, kitchen with new corian counters, the bathrooms had corian counters, as well as the new bathroom sinks, new tiles in the bathroom, and new wood floor in the kitchen. In the bathroom we had one shower with a large sink with counter and toilet and then a door led to a second bathroom minus the toilet but with another sink and jacuzzi tub. We also had a fireplace which we used one night. There was also a balcony outside of our bedroom which we enjoyed sitting on in the morning and at night. It was very quiet and we didn't experience any noisey neighbors. We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Rooms were clean and updated
  • Disliked — No internet access in this development
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Wyndham Patriots Place? Share your experiences!