“As Expected - Satisfied” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #21 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Elmsford, New York
“As Expected - Satisfied”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We had a 1BR suite which delivered as expected. IT was quite roomy and had all that our party of 3 needed. The first room we were assigned had a faulty air conditioning system and our room never went below 79. This was quickly discovered after checking in and fortunately, they were able to get us moved. The breakfast was nice each morning and they even serve dinner on Tues, Wed, Thurs each week. We did pass on the dinner though as it did not look very appetizing and the lobby area.. We did not have a pet with us. We were placed on the 4th floor and were never disturbed by any noises or barking. It is very centrally located and many shopping, food options nearby. Only thing that can and should be improved are: The hallways and elevators are very warm and don't seem to be adequately air conditioned.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Falls Church
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We first checked in to Marriott's vacation cub at Ford's Colony where the room was tiny, overpriced and our teenage boys had to sleep on a pull out sofa. Maybe it's an okay place if you have a time share but platinum elite members are treated with disdain so it was a huge relief to move over to the Residence Inn where the front desk staff was welcoming and had the can-do attitude we are used to. The rooms are large, clean and comfortable. The furniture (cupboards, desks) is old but functional. The facilities are typical of a Residence Inn so you get what you expect and the price is reasonable for families.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I made my reservation on May 4, 2014, for a two night stay for July 4th to July 6th. On July 4th at about 8pm I called the hotel to let them know I will be checking in late. The person who answered said to me the hotel overbooked and they no longer have a room for us!!!! and they would try to accommodate me in another Marriott hotel. He said I would have to go to the Residence Inn first so they can tell me what hotel I could go to??? I immediately told him I would not be going to the Residence Inn first, I needed to know now what hotel would have a room equivalent to the Residence Inn, consisting of two queen beds, living room and full kitchen. He then apologized and said they would not be able to accommodate such room since the Fairfield or the Springhill didn't have such room, but if I agreed to go to another hotel I would not have to pay.

I showed up at the Fairfield, I was offered one room with one King size bed for one night. I was furious by this time, the room would not accommodate my family and I initially had reserved 2 nights!! I immediately contacted the Residence Inn again, I was transferred to the cell phone of the general manager Anthony Hunt whom I had a long conversation with. I tried to explain to him that the room would not be large enough to accommodate 2 adults and 2 children. He was rude and said he could move me to the Springhill but he would only pay for one night, and if I wanted a second free night I would have to move to the Residence Inn for a second night stay. I told him I have already been inconvenienced when they overbooked and disregarded my reservation, I was not willing to move to another hotel. It really seemed that he didn't care to provide the best service and I honestly don't feel he truly represents the Marriott. I argued on the phone with him, he continuously interrupted while I tried to explain to him that our family had things to do and it would be too much of an inconvenience to move for a second time after a one night stay at the Springhill. He said to me his hotel is the Residence Inn, not the Springhill therefore he was only willing to pay the one night at the Springhill and I would have to pay the second night if I moved in the Residence Inn. I then asked for the name of his manager, he refused to give me the name, he proceeded to give me 800-marriott phone number said I can call them to see if they can help me. I told him I am not asking for the customer service line, I wanted his managers name. He said his manager is Mr. Marriott, I knew then he was lying to me and really didn't care for the situation he has put us through.

Finally, I passed the phone to my husband, so he can further speak to Anthony Hunt. By this time, I had been on the phone with him for at least an hour. He was refusing to provide his direct managers information. After my husband spoke to Anthony Hunt, Mr. Hunt finally agreed to have us stay at the Springhill for the two nights.

Just when I thought the nightmare was over, we reloaded our luggage from the Fairfield to go for our two night stay at the Springhill. As I was checking in, the receptionist stated to me she just got off the phone with her General Manager Anthony Hunt and she has been instructed by him to provide us with a room for two nights......Now, Mr. Anthony Hunt had previously said to me he had no control over the Fairfield and the Springhill because they were not his hotels....well he lied because he is the general manager for both the Springhill and the Residence Inn, both are about 1000 feet from each other.

After this terrible experience I am completely disappointed with the Marriott and the general manager Anthony Hunt. A wonderful well planned weekend became a true nightmare. I will further refrain from staying at a Marriott though I was been a devoted rewards member for years. I will never want to experience this again, I had planned on spending a nice time with my family in a spacious room. The food I had brought with me went bad, we didn't have an outdoor pool as planned and the room we were accommodated with was much smaller. The treatment I received by the general manger was rude and unacceptable. No customer should be treated that way, and all reservations should be honored. If a reservation can't be honored then what's the point of make a reservation????

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
HHMLP-Mgt W, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Williamsburg, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear Pasiando,
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you encountered last weekend and know that we take this very seriously. Again, my sincerest apologies.

Kandi, Area Director
Midland, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

We selected this hotel due to having 3 kids and 2 adults, as it is tough to find comfortable accommodations most places with 5 people. We booked through Marriott.com with no issues and I selected that we had 5 guests. I was hoping this might get passed along to the hotel but it seems maybe they overlooked it. (see below)

We arrived around 1 pm, knowing that this was early, i was hoping for an early check-in. I was told they didn't have anything available yet but the clerk took my name and a preference on near or far from the pool, and said she would have me down as 'arrived' but to come back after 4. I thought check-in was at 3 but apparently it was 4.

We went to Jamestown Settlement (about 10-15 minutes nearby) and came back at 4:30. The same clerk was there and said she still didn't have any rooms available. She got on her walkie-talkie and called someone, and sounded a bit unprofessional as she had a conversation with the other person about how there were people in the lobby trying to check in but she didn't see any suites available. I looked at her as if to say, 'I waited until you told me to come back and you still don't have anything???' She said we could proceed to our room and that they were currently out of towels but someone would bring them as soon as they were available.

We finally got settled in room 404. We had two queens in a bedroom and a sofa-bed in the living room.

We walked to nearby Applebee's and came back after 6:30, still no towels. I called downstairs to request them and they said they would bring them right up. 7:30, still no towels. I called again.

I tried to make the sofa-bed but there were no sheets. I called the front desk and they said there were sheets in the closet. I told them I already looked there and there was just a blanket. They told me there are supposed to be sheets in there too. I said, 'hence my call to you to bring me some.' They brought some at around 8:00, however, still no towels. It appeared to be the manager who brought me the sheets and I reiterated to him that I had called over an hour ago for towels, yet to receive though. He apologized and said he would be right back. He came back shortly and apologized again.

The next day, we went to Busch Gardens, about 15 minutes away. We came back and only had 3 towels. I called for more and about 20 minutes later had some. Rinse and repeat. We stayed a total of 4 nights and I had to call each afternoon to request more towels, as they only stocked 3 for a known-occupancy of 5.

The room was always clean. There were dishes, however, a very limited supply. 4 cups, 4 bowels, 4 plates. We had a microwave and had brought our own popcorn, but had nothing to put it in. We used the mixing bowls.

I used the coffeemaker the first night of our 4 night stay but the cream and sugar were never restocked.

The wi-fi was temper-mental. It connected but then seemed to either drop or i needed to delete the wi-fi profile and start from scratch. It was speedy when connected tho, as my wife streamed Netflix to a Kindle with no issues.

The pool was great. Kids used it all 4 days. The towel situation was a little confusing the first day, as there were none outside and no place to put wet towels. The entrance/exit area to the hotel from the pool was always wet and my 6 year old slipped on the drenched floor (she wasn't hurt). Maybe an anti-slip mat would help.

The breakfast quality was so-so. The eggs were water based poor-and-mix (dreadful), there was only 1 waffle maker, and about a 10 minute wait the 2 mornings we ate there. Hint to management: I have seen many smaller hotels with 2 waffle makers to accommodate a lot of guests. There was not a lot of room for food service at the times we tried to get breakfast. We ended up stopping at McDonald's (a block away) for breakfast supplemental. I would give the breakfast a 2 out of 5.

Overall, I might stay somewhere else next time, provided i can find a suite or somewhere that holds 5 people comfortably. I use the Residence Inn brand several times a year for personal trips and travel several times a year for business.

Room Tip: Pool stays loud during summer.
Green Features: There are signs everywhere about how they practice environmentally-friendly things, however, they ran my dishwasher every day with six things or less inside. Other than towels not being washed every day, I don't know any other way to conserve easily.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Frederick, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

Extremely disappointed with the experience I had with the Marriott Residence Inn! As a hotel, the staff should be aware of what is going on from morning shift to night shift. With this said:

On June 17th I made a reservation for a two bedroom suite, for 6 guests, at the Marriott Residence Inn located in Williamsburg, VA. On June 25th I was charged for the room and called the Residence Inn asking about early check in for the 28th. I was told to call back the night before and ask then.

On June 27th, the night before, I called and was told that there was no way to be able to tell if I could check in early because the entire hotel was full that night, and to call back in the morning.

June 28th, the day of, the six of us left MD/DC around 7 AM to head to Williamsburg for a Birthday outing at Busch Gardens. Around 11:00 (an hour before arriving) I called the hotel to ask again about early check in. Once again, I received the same answer; "That there was no way to tell. They hadn't heard of any rooms turning over, and that the maids don't come in until 9, so it might be awhile." An hour later I arrived at the Residence Inn. I went in to ask one more time about early check in, and received the same answer. I told them I had a reservation but that we were going to be at the park the entire day so we wouldn't be there until late. The woman told me that she would "block us in" so that it wouldn't be an issue later. After asking what that meant, she said it would show that we have come and to keep the room on hold for us. Thinking there would be no problem, we left our bags in one of our cars, and left for the park the entire day.

By 11 PM we arrived back at the hotel. When I presented my reservation again, I explained that we came in earlier today and the woman said she blocked us in. The woman working the front desk that night looked into the computer and confirmed we no longer had a room. We were told that there was one room unavailable, because of AC issues, and that it doesn't show our reservation as being blocked in. She explained because of this, our room was given away because we were not there. After spending an entire day in a park and being exhausted, this is the LAST thing the six of us wanted to deal with. The woman called the manager on duty to come over so they both could try to find hotels with available rooms for us. Every hotel in Williamsburg & Newport News were full, due to a jazz festival, a lacrosse tournament, and regular vacations. Finally, around 1:30 AM they found rooms located in Richmond Virginia, an hour away, for us to stay in.

I have never been so totally disappointed in the hotel staff's ability to handle our reservation appropriately. Especially after making so much effort to check in early. This was definitely a very frustrating ending to what had been a pleasurable day. This led to a one hour drive at 1:30 AM to Richmond, causing unnecessary tension within our very tired group. This hotel extremely let us down!

I would not recommend going to this hotel, unless you want your room to be given away.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
HHMLP-Mgt W, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Williamsburg, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear a_decapua,
I'd like to publicly apologize for your experience last weekend and thank you for our dialoge back and forth. If I can be of any further serive, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Odenton, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I live in the Baltimore/DC area and go to Williamsburg, VA about 2-3 times per year. I have dogs so I need to find a dog friendly hotel. I used to stay at Patrick Henry Inn (when it was Best Western), and that went down hill. Then I stayed at La Quinta and that has gone down hill too. I am glad I finally found a hotel that is nice, in a perfect location and takes dogs. The only thing I have to say is if you don't like dogs, don't stay there. I had some lady give me horrible looks for my dogs (Yorkies and Maltese). Seriously, I do my research to find a dog friendly hotel, if you don't like them then do your research and don't stay at one that takes them! Here are the Pros and Cons:

Pros:
-location: within walking distance to Chillis and Applebees and other restaurants. Very close to outlet malls and short drive to Colonial Williamsburg.
-dog friendly: they take dogs and even allowed me to bring my 3 small dogs.
-price: its not cheap nor super expensive
-free breakfast: breakfast was pretty good. They had cereal, bagels, english muffins, blueberry muffins, waffles, pancakes, coffee, juice, yogurt, oatmeal. Area to eat is nice.
-spacious rooms: rooms are large and have great amenities. Great if you have kids and for our dogs so we can prepare their food.
-staff: the staff is super friendly and very welcoming. The guy at the front desk always called me by my name when he saw me.

Cons:
-fee for dogs: they charge a non-refundable $75 dog fee
-furniture-the furniture was kind of older and beat up. The room was not dirty but could've been cleaned better. I doubt that $75 fee for dogs actually goes to cleaning the room.
-price: not cheap but could've been more expensive.
-not Marriott standards-I am a Silver Marriott Rewards member and this is not exactly up to Marriott standards.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

We stayed Sunday - Friday in June for a trip to Colonial Williamburg, Jamestown, and Busch Gardens. We had a great rate, loved the free breakfast and evening food as well. It was a great deal for a family trip. The room was clean and we had great service. Everyday our room was clean and tidy. The kitchen was a great addition so we could keep picnic foods and snacks in the fridge. We also liked our one bedroom because it had a separate sitting area and door that separated the bedroom - we could stay up and watch tv, etc. while our kids got to sleep. The kids loved the pool - it's not big but they had fun. The breakfast was good but very busy in the mornings. They had eggs, potatoes, meat, yogurt, fruits, cereals, oatmeal, waffles, breads and juices. In the evening during the week there was also food enough for dinner! Nacho night, BBQ night, etc. It's super close to everything and the restaurant Food for Thought across the street was delicious. We even walked to the General Store for ice cream one night and enjoyed the fife and drum!

Room Tip: We had a first floor room facing the back lot - very quiet.
Green Features: Thanks for including a recycle bin! Many hotels don't have those now and when you're there for a week it's nice to have them there. We also appreciated the reminder to save our towels and not have them washed every day.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn Williamsburg? Share your experiences!