“Not on par with most Embassy Suites” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast & Wifi
Ranked #24 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Stevensville, Maryland
“Not on par with most Embassy Suites”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Booked the stay over the holiday season to go to Christmas Town. Hotel was a short 10 minute drive or so to Busch Gardens, which was great.

We knew the property was probably dated from the external shots on their website, and that's the case. The suite size is smaller than the typical Embassy Suites, and the layout is somewhat different (bathroom at the front of the suite, not the middle). Size is a bit cramped - the pullout couch almost completely blocked the route to the bathroom, but all was workable. Interior of the room could probably use some refreshing in the near future, as could the lobby. We had a room on the first floor, which was good as we could avoid the elevator, except ... we had a front row view of the pool and all the participants. Nothing like opening your window and seeing someone sitting right next to your suite; I think we were both shocked when I opened the blinds for the first time. The good news is ... they close the pool right on time so there is no noise late in the evening. If you don't want to get up and close shots ... don't take rooms 100-104. Rooms 116 and 117 open directly into the lobby so I would guess those wouldn't be great picks either if you value some quiet.

Didn't make the managers reception, but we did make the breakfast the next morning. The breakfast is worth the trip, as you get great value for your money with the cooked to order items and the large selection. BUT ... the layout here is beyond frustrating. No one in line had a clue that there were actually 2 lines - 1 for the cooked-to-order stuff, 1 for the buffet style line. People in line for an omelette waited for several minutes before they realized the other line was shorter. A little signage could help. They do have a nice warning about breakfast wait times which was helpful; be prepared to wait if you go during the "red" time. There isn't much seating but they do add folding tables to a conference room and the lobby to expand seating.

Location was fairly convenient. K-Mart close by and the hotel is somewhat off the beaten trail so no road noise. Internet was free. Pool seemed good and decent sized - families appeared to be enjoying it (as seen from my room).

But the kicker for me ... there was some spotty service. First off, Andrea at the front desk was superb. Quick, efficient, friendly. However, when I called in the morning to ask a few questions, my first attempt at a call rang for over a minute without answer (no voice mail?). I called back, finally reached someone, and asked my questions. When the responder asked what my name was, I started spelling it, and after the third letter she exclaimed "whoa whoa WHOA! Start over." After I spelled my name, there was a long pause, where I had to eventually ask if someone was still with me. Not good. Not professional.

The second incident occurred at breakfast. Long story short, the young female attendant became very agitated and argumentative with me over a table. I had found some folks leaving their table, I asked if I could take their table when they left, and they said sure. I sat down, and the attendant immediately confronted me, saying that she had "saved" that table for another guest. I told her I didn't understand, and asked if there was a wait list or some other process which I was unaware of. She answered with, "SIR ... this is first-come, first-serve, this lady has been waiting FOREVER to sit down." Apparently, though, the lady was looking to sit with her party, already seated at another table behind the partition. Another attendant motioned her toward her party and she sat down. When I politely asked again if I had missed something along the way, she once again emphatically and sarcastically told me that there was no formal process but she was holding the table for this lady. By this time, of course, there were 2 open tables, and I offered to move despite the lady being seated by now, but she walked away from me. Obviously, there was a much better way of handling the situation than devolving into rudeness. While these incidents did not warrant elevation to a manager, of course, they do suggest a lack in customer service training (or refresher training). Possibly a bad day for the 2 of them, because most reviews here say the service is good - but not for my stay. Again, I have to commend Andrea for her great service.

I won't stay here again, but overall probably a decent value during the tourist season, because you do get good bang for your buck with the reception and breakfast. But keep in mind that this is an older, smaller Embassy Suites, in need of some updates. There are probably better choices in Williamsburg.

Room Tip: Rooms 100-104 have a direct pool view; rooms 116 and 117 open directly into the lobby
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Thank you very much for the feedback about your stay. It is great that Andea made a positive impact on your stay despite having other service issues. I will be addressing the seating issue that you encountered with out F&B manager. Our seating is first come, first serve and we should not be "holding" tables. I am glad that you did enjoy the value of our evening reception and cooked to order breakfast. Thanks again for the review and please do give us another chance the next time you are in Williamsburg.

621 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Stafford, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

We absolutely love everything about Embassy Suites Williamsburg. We came here for Christmas Town and the hotel definitely met our expectations. The lobby is beautifully decorated for Christmas and staff is extremely kind. We can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed December 2012
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you very much for the kind words about your stay. I am glad our hotel exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed our Holiday decorations.. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Maryland, U.S.A.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

We stayed here four nights in late November 2012.

Our room was spacious and clean. The bathroom was bright, had extra towels, and lots of counterspace. There was free wifi and our room had plenty of outlets for charging devices.

This hotel is located where Richmond Road intersects with the Bypass Road which makes it convenient for shopping, restaurants, downtown and Colonial Williamsburg, I-64, and Busch Gardens. It only takes to get around by car.

Now for the bad: The bed was the most uncomfortable that I have "slept" in for a long time. The tired mattress was topped with a fluffy topper which made it even worse. All of the pillows were extra firm i.e. like a rock. After one night, I gave up and slept without a pillow.

The heating unit in our room operated at a low rumble or alternatively at a loud roar. It was never silent.

Embassy Suites promotes their "cooked to order" breakfast. Thursday and Friday mornings were great. Saturday was just ok. Sunday was a disaster. The food was poorly cooked and it was a struggle to find cutlery, plates and cups.

We have stayed at this property several times in the past. We will find somewhere else the next time we travel to Williamsburg.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, December 8, 2012
I am sorry to hear that your last stay did not live up to the stays you have had here in the past. I am very glad though you did enjoy your room and our great location. I would like to talk to you further abourt what we can do to improve so you would come back and see us. You may conatct me at 757-229-6800. Thanks again for the feedback.
Pennylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My extended family just got back from spending the Thanksgiving holiday at Williamsburg and stayed at the Embassy Suites. It was perfect for large groups with the larger rooms and gathering areas. The hot breakfast was terrific and you can't beat the Happy Hour. But the thing I noticed the most was how friendly and helpful every person in the staff was. They always smiled and had a word or two. May not seem like much but was very nice to feel like a welcome guest rather than a paying client that has to be tolerated.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the great review. I am very glad you shared your Thanksgiving Holiday with us. We do indeed pride ourselves on having the friendliest staff in town. We look forawrd to see you all the next time you are in town.
Rockville, Maryland (Washington Dc)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We had a large family gathering here over the Thanksgiving holiday. Each and everyone staff person we encountered was wonderful, friendly, and helpful. The rooms were clean, spacious, and comfortable. The large, open lobby with complimentary manager's reception and breakfast made a perfect gathering spot for us all. The location was convenient to all of the sites. We all were very happy with our stay and highly recommend it, especially for a family gathering.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the glowing review. We pride ourselves on operating a clean hotel with very friendly staff. I am glad that you enjoyed our food and beverage offerings. We hope to host your next family gathering. Thanks again!
Damascus, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Recently stayed at the Embassy Suites for 2 nights at Thanksgiving time. Had a great stay and would recommend for a family with young kids.

- Staff were all very friendly. Was welcomed very nicely and shown all of the amenities the hotel offered by the manager on duty.

- Great open lobby. Hung out in the nice lobby area with the kids. Very relaxing.

- Manager's reception. The manager's reception in the evening was fun. Who could say "no" to an open bar and snacks. Watched the Redskins beat Dallas as an added bonus.

- Free breakfast each morning. Omlettes cooked the way you want, very good. Overall the food was just "ok", but it was nice to have a lot of choices and it was free! If I was staying for 3 or 4 nights, I would probably not want to go here for breakfast every day.

- Suites were nice. Nothing spectacular, but worked for our family of 4.

- Pool was good. Not sure if the hot tub was working well when we were there because it was actually a little too hot to even stay in that long.

- Location was nice. Easy to get onto Rt. 60 and get to Busch Gardens or Colonial Williamsburg. There was a Kmart right next door.

- Overall - a pleasant stay for the family.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Many thanks for the great feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We pride ourselves on operating a clean, safe, and well maintained hotel with very engaged staff. We hope to see you all back the next time you are in town.
Shepherdstown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just got back from a two night stay and can't say enough good things about Embassy Suites. From the time we arrived until we left, everything was great. The staff was friendly and room clean. This was our first experience with Embassy Suites in Williamsburg and it won't be our last. The drinks (beer, wine and mixed) along with "nibblies" was a nice touch at the Manager's reception and the drinks were gratis from 5:30-7:30. Like someone previously said, "this is a nice hotel to stay in". I would be remiss if I didn't mention the made-to-order omelets at breakfast....wonderful. We'll be back in March for a longer stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Thank you very much for the great feed back. I am excited that our staff made a difference on your trip. You cant beat the evening reception and omelets in the morning. We look forward to seeing you all in March. Thanks again!

Been to Embassy Suites Williamsburg? Share your experiences!