“Just off the beaten path, yet close to everything” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Breakfast & Wifi
Ranked #25 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Dover, Delaware
“Just off the beaten path, yet close to everything”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This is a nice hotel to stay in, whether traveling by yourself or with a family. It is on a side road just off the main road running through Williamsburg (Richmond Road). Very easy to find, and I liked that it was on a side street because there was no traffic noise, and no problem pulling in and out of the parking lot. The hotel is very clean, and the rooms are nice. I like the each suite had a separate bathroom, livingroom, and bedroom, and that each space was a good size. My room was 302 (3rd floor on the backside of the hotel. Not much of a view from this room (just the roof) but it was quiet. Breakfast was pretty good, they had plenty of the usual choices to choose from, plus a make your own omelet station (which I liked) So, overall it's a nice hotel that I can say, Yes I would stay in again. And it is close to everything that you could possibly want to see in Williamsburg. I think it took me all of about 5 minutes to get downtown (to William & Mary and the Colonial district). If you read other reviews about the downtown being 15+ minutes away...I'm thinking that that person may have taken the wrong way. Use a GPS and it should get you there no problem.

Room Tip: Try to pick a room just off the main atrium (I had 302 which was down a side hallway), these rooms s...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Thank you very much for the great review and fantastic pictures. I am gald to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and two room suite. Your absolutly right that our location is great because we are close to everything but not in the fray of Richmond Road. Thanks again and we hope to see you again the next time you are in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Phenix City, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

We recently traveled on a family vacation and chose to stay at this Embassy Suites as we have always had a great experience. Glad we were with our kids, as the hotel was packed with tour group kids, but the Manager on duty informed us and even moved us away from the "noise" and elevators. Except for the lines at breakfast, we didn't even know the place was totally booked. Clean rooms, excellent service from the front desk staff, and cooks!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for the great feedback about your stay. I am gald to hear that our staff was able to find you a quiet oasis in a busy hotel. It is exciting to hear that our staff was exceptional. Thank you again and we look forward to seeing you all the next time you are in Williamsburg.
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

I chose this hotel based on reviews and previous stays at Embassy Suites. This hotel is in dire need of a makeover and does not live up to what I expect from an Embassy Suites. The hotel is easily one step below what is to be expected in this category. I am on the road about 150 nights a year and this was one of my bigger disappoinments.

This trip was not business, but pleasure and I brought my wife staying here since I expected it to be a little bit better hotel. The rooms are in serious need of an upgrade and some areas were not as clean as I would expect. Carpets were old, decor is old, furnishings old and cheap. Just seemed run down.

In the bathroom a chunk of the bathtub had been broken off and re-glued. Looked bad. There was no soap dish in the shower/bath area to put soap of shampoo. You had to leave things on the corner of the tub. I had never been to a hotel that doesn't provide a soap dish?! The soap was stuck to the tub the next morning. Sweet.

Another reason I stayed here was they have breakfast and will cook eggs and omletts. I hate virtually all hotel buffet breakfasts, so cooked to order is a nice alternative. All the Embassy Suites do this and the only downside I find is they all use too much oil in the eggs. This time I ment to ask if they could use less oil and forgot. However the omlett was OK anyway. Not good breakfast restaurant quality, but OK. However my wife opted for French toast from the cook, not at the buffet. They proceeded to take out a plate of already cooked French toast from a fridge and basically said bon appetit! We honestly expected that this was also cooked to order. Needless to say it was cold. I guess you are suppose to run it through the toaster?! If that is the expectation, don't even offer this.

They state right on the checking card with your key that seating can be a challenge in the AM for breakfast due to crowds. In other words, "Prepare to be Dissapointed". This was the case Sunday with a bus tour. We were thinking of eating out anyway, but figured maybe we would just get a coffee and a yogurt to go. Didn't even want to go down. I understand the hotel wants tour buses, but it makes it difficult for others if the crowds cannot be handled. We ate out.

The check in staff was OK. Efficient, but not overly friendly. The woman in the breakfast area was very friendly.

I would not stay here again. based on price/value/expectations. You can find other places for a cheaper price that may actually be even better. For the same price you must be able to do better in the area.

Good luck.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you very much for the feedback about your stay. I do apologize that we may of not met your expectations during your stay. We are revamping our breakfast experience this fall and it will exceed your expectations the next time you come to our hotel. Thanks again and we hope you give us another chance the next time you are in town.
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

This embassey suites is the oldest, smallest, and worst I have experienced, and I have stayed at ES for over 30 years. They DO NOT honor reservations made four months in advance(see other posters that detail the same actions) even for Hilton Honors Members with The Hilton Visa credit card----their best customers. Rather than honor my bed and room type they favor huge TOUR GROUPS Traveling on a bus together instead of Hilton's best customers. The place is full of tour groups. Great! In addition, if you are going to Colonial Williamsburg DO NOT STAY HERE! The hotel is far away from the downtown with nothing around it but fast food and expressways. Their web site says they are close to Colonial Williamsburg/William & Mary College----- THEY LIE. It is not close, it is 15+ minutes away and not convenient at all. Plus, they have not remodeled the hotel in at least 10 years. It is really bad.

Room Tip: There are not any good rooms here
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our two-room suites. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. However, I would like to apologize for the level of service you received. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future.
Danville, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This place was great. Yes the room was a little small for Embassy Suites but was very clean (room 501). The people were great (except for one incident), The room was great. Breakfast was great and so was the evening reception. I have to take exception with the one reviewer that said breakfast wasn't good. I highly disagree with that. I travel often and it is very rare to find a free breakfast at a hotel that was this good. The made to order omelettes were excellent and the bacon was nicely cooked high quality like you would make for breakfast at home. My second morning there, I really wanted a soft drink at breakfast. They don't really offer that in the morning but there was an employee working unpacking boxes at the evening bar area. I asked him about it and he said "No problem, sir" and moved all of the boxes, got me a glass with ice and my soft drink. I didn't really mean him to go through all that trouble but he didn't hesitate. I really appreciated that. The pool area was nice but we didn't have time to use it. I do wish it had been open later because my wife and I like to use the pool late when we're travelling and really like when hotels have their pools open late.

Now for the one problem we had. We booked this room a little over a month before our trip on the phone with Hilton reservations and we booked a king bed suite. When we arrived we were checked in by a pleasant (don't remember her name) lady. The check in was fast (although she at first told me my credit card was declined but I think she was scanning it backwards because there was nothing wrong with it and it was fine the second time) and my wife and I went to our room. When we got to our room on the 5th floor (room 536 I think it was.. just to the right off the elevator) it had two double beds, not the king bed we booked. Also, the room smelled very musty. I immediately went back to the front desk. This time, a woman named Shannel was working the desk. I told her they gave me the wrong room because we booked a king room. She looked in the computer and she said, "We don't guarantee any bed type and I can't give you a king bed room because we don't have any more." I pulled out the paper confirmation from where we booked this room from Hilton by phone and it clearly said King Room Suite No Smoking on it. I handed it to her as proof I booked a king room and she said "Sorry we're sold out." At this point I got a little frustrated and a little upset and told her that was unacceptable. I was about to ask to speak to her manager and I think she sensed my growing irritation and said "Well I can give you a king room but I'm going to have to take it away from someone else." I asked her, "How can you be taking it away from someone else when you just told me you don't guarantee bed types?" She said, "We don't guarantee bed types from third party websites." I said, "This didn't come from a third party website, it came from Hilton's own reservation line." She said, "Well I don't know what happened then because it doesn't show your bed preference on my computer but I'm just going to take it away from someone else and deal with that later... anything we have to do to make you happy." Almost like she was trying to make me feel guilty about the whole thing when I had rightly booked the room and had a printed confirmation page proving that fact! I said, "No, you're not putting me in someone else's room, you're putting me in the room I booked to start with and whatever problems you have with other customers is between you and that customer, not me." She gave me the rooms keys for the new room and asked me if I had touched anything in the first room. I told her that yes, I had touched the door handle and the carpet where I put my luggage and where my wife had been standing around waiting on me this whole time. The second room was great and didn't stink like the first one.

The hotel was really great except for Shannel at the front desk. She could really use some re-training and I do plan to pursue the issue with the Hilton corporation but, thankfully, that was in stark contrast to the rest of the trip. One of the maintenance guys told me they are starting renovations in a couple of months so that will be nice. I mentioned to him how slow the elevators are and he said everybody says that and he hopes they're replaced during the renovation.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably better so you're not looking at cars in the parking lot. We stayed on...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
First of all, thank you for your review of your past stay with us. I always appreciate hearing from our guests - including areas where we haven’t met our guests’ expectations. I apologize that we were unable to accommodate your reserved room type upon your arrival in addition to the service you received when resolving the issue. Thank you for your kind words regarding the rest of your stay. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again and have another wonderful stay.
Pinehurst, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

The hotel was very clean and well maintained. Staff went out of their way to be helpful and the cooked to order breakfast and managers reception were very good. A five star experience. Would recommend this hotel without any second thoughts. A wonderful trip

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Rick D, General Manager at Embassy Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you very much for the great feedback. We do pride ourselves on having the best staff in town. Our hotels focus is to provide a clean, safe, and well maintained hotel and provide a great food and beverage expereince. Look forward to seeing you all next time you are in town.
Lutherville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying at the Embassy Suites in Williamsburg last weekend. I really can't say enough about how nice every employee was on our visit from the front desk, to the bartender, to the housekeepers, the cafe staff and the woman who made my omelet. I can't remember ever staying in a hotel where everyone went that out of their way to brighten my stay. The rooms were clean and the facilities were nice. The made to order breakfast was fantastic! Hard to believe that is included. I would recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We do strive to have the best service and hotel experience in town. Thanks again and we hopefully will see you again the next time you are in town.

Been to Embassy Suites Williamsburg? Share your experiences!