“Overall a good experience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Kingsmill Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Williamsburg Hotel & Conference Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 20% - Book Early!
Ranked #19 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Halethorpe, United States
“Overall a good experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

Overall, we were VERY pleased with our stay at the Williamsburg Doubletree hotel, as we were the first time we stayed there. Our experience with staff both in the lobby and in the restaurant was most pleasant and accomodating. Just a few points I would like to mention. When we came into our room, it smelled a little musty but quickly dissipated after we turned on the ac. The door that connected the adjoining room (which we did not have anyone we knew staying next to us.), was unlocked and slightly ajar, so that was somewhat uncomfortable but nothing in our room seemed to be amiss, so we did not bring it to the staff's attention. There was a watermark on the ceiling above the shower that was slightly discolored but everything seemed to work fine. One day upon returning back to our room after maid service had been there, we found a pair of my husband's shorts strewn on the floor. We think we had accidentally left them in or on the bed but thought that maid service could have least folded them neatly and placed them back on the bed.The hallway was somewhat warm and we had a long way to walk. We finally figured out to park around near the outside entrance to our room and climb some flights of stairs to get to it but was somewhat taken aback by the rat traps that were placed outside of the door. Finally, it was frustrating that I wanted to dry some towels and clothes that had become wet after getting caught in a rainstorm but couldn't because the 2 guest dryers were being used and were taking forever to complete the cycle (beyond the 30 minute drying time posted). I checked on 2 other floors for guest dryers but couldn't find any so I assumed these were the only two available (which might explain why they were working so poorly; they've probably been overused.) I couldn't beleive that with a hotel of that size, that there were only 2 guest dryers available.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Tom C, Director of Sales at DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg, responded to this review, August 18, 2013
We are pleased that your overall experience was exceptional. We thank you for your many kind comments and are very sorry that you had such an unreasonable wait for a dryer to become available. We do have coin washers and dryers on two floors of the hotel. Even that is at times barely enough to keep up with the heavy demand in the summer season. We look forward to your return to Williamsburg and trust that you consider us your home in the Historic Triangle.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Rolesville, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

This hotel meets all you need for an accommodation in williamsburg. There lobby are so wide and the rooms are extra clean . The hotel staff are so friendly and the food (breakfast) so good and the overall staff are well trained. The swimming pool is on of the best i have seen and the hotel is family friendly. I will Alway come back to stay in this hotel any time I am in Williamsburg .

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Needless to say, we are very pleased that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. Great effort has been taken in training our staff to provide the level of service you described in your review, We will be sure and have plenty of fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies prepared for your return. Thank you for your kind words.
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

At registration, we were told that the hotel had only been a 'Doubletree' for about a month. New management. Upon arrival, we were impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel; the front desk staff was welcoming and efficient. We arrived a bit early and were pleased that our room was ready. The room appeared neat, clean and looked comfortable. The bed linens were fresh looking. There was a large overstuffed chair in the room that was squeezed between the desk and dresser and could only be used as an extra place to lay things on because the chair was too large to move or be arranged for seating. Some of the pillows had an odor to them and I decided I would spray Lysol throughout the room. We stayed for 5 days, 4 nights. The staff congeniality continued throughout our stay.
One night we ate onsite at 'Pitchers.' Our server was attentive (however, we were the only people sitting at a table; there were three people at the bar.) The food was adequate, not spectacular. We ordered a Caesar salad and my spouse ordered the chicken wrap. Serving size was a bit underwhelming. We also ordered a drink each, a vodka collins @ $8.50 and a Knobb Creak and coke @ $10.50.. Total cost for salad, chicken wrap, two mixed drinks, two sodas and a scoop of vanilla ice-cream with a dribble of chocolate sauce was $63.20.. pricy but it was convenient.

Overall, our stay was satisfactory with a few drawbacks:
1. The room air-condition worked very well during daytime hours; however, at night, regardless of what temperature we set – the room temp did not go below 70 degrees and the system was off more than on.. so we were a bit uncomfortable at night with little or no air circulation in the room.
2. On two mornings, the shower water was cool to cold and did not heat up sufficiently to take a warm shower. We were on the 4th floor and did note on one day that there were plumber trucks on the premises.
3. One day we did not get replacement towels.. Tried to call front desk, no one answered so my spouse had to go down to the front desk and request towels be delivered from housekeeping..
4. Cost of movie in the room was $19+.. cannot imagine anyone paying that high of price for an in room movie.
5. Some of the Front desk staff and housekeeping staff speak English as a second language and it was difficult to explain or ask questions related to the hotel/housekeeping needs and/or surrounding area.

Parking on premise is free and ample for guests. The location of the hotel is near Bush Gardens and only about a 10-minute drive to Richmond Rd in Williamsburg.
Overall, the stay was pleasant; the cookies were warm and the staff congenial. Would we go back, yes. I believe there is room to grow for this particular Hilton property and hope that if we do return, improvements will enhance the experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We appreciate your kind words and constructive criticism in reference to your recent stay. As is common following a complete renovation there is some fine tuning needed and we sincerely appreciate you bringing any problems to our attention. We are diligently working to correct the issues you brought up in your review and have had great success with most. We look forward to hosting your next visit to the historic triangle.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Reading some of the comments, I expected worse. We stayed 2 nights, and the location was decent as it's close to the amusement parks. No complaints on my end. The only thing I did notice was the fact that the carpet, at least on the first floor, leaves a lot to be desired so hopefully they get that renovated and fixed up. Other than that, great stay and I look forward to using this hotel again if my family and I decide to go to Busch Gardens or Water Country USA. Hopefully they have the capability of serving a free breakfast.

PS: The cookies at the front desk are amazing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
We are sorry that you had to experience the temporary carpet on the first floor corridor. We received a few bad rolls of carpet that did not match so had to reorder. We are happy to announce that the new carpet arrived last week and has been installed. We look forward to your return.
Boyds, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

A very nice property that had everything that you would want that is a short drive to Busch Gardens, Williamsburg. the beds were nice and soft and the pillows were great. the sports pub food was excellent. the swimming pool was nice. also, the unlimited chocolate cookies were amazing.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank for your review of our newly-renovated property. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of the many family-friendly amenities that we offer, not to mention the ideal location adjacent to Busch Gardens. We look forward to being your home during your next visit to Williamsburg. We'll be sure and keep plenty of fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies on hand.
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked 2 nights at this hotel because it was close to the amusement parks. That is all this hotel has going for it. We had 2 adjoining rooms and 1st room had a lot of black mold in the bathroom and covering the entire ceiling in the bedroom. The room was extremely moist and humid despite the a/c. Our 2nd adjoining room had a broken a/c unit. We notified front desk and were taken to new rooms that still showed signs of age and poor upkeep. There was rust all over the bedroom ceiling tile supports and the common areas had very old dirty carpet! Many of the navigational signs in the hallways were attached with duck tape!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Tom C, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear rfaer737,

Thank You for choosing to stay with The DoubleTree Williamsburg on your recent visit to our area. I am disappointed to hear of your experience and apologize for any inconvenience this caused during your visit, we go through an inspection process of all our rooms before our guest check-in to ensure any issues are corrected, I have no explanation to how we missed this issue but can ensure you we have re-visited our training and procedures to improve our guest experience. If you would like to discuss your visit further please feel free to contact me at 757.220.2500

Tom Custo
Norfolk, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a weekend stay at this hotel as a stay-cation for our anniversary. I had called reservations and requested that we order a bottle of wine upon arrival and requested a king bed. Of course, upon arrival, no kings were available and they had no idea about the wine, I can't place blame with the hotel since the reservation desk is in another location.
Now here is where I may have messed up. When I was told that they had no kings available, we asked if we could pay for an upgraded room. One of the front desk managers, who was extremely pleasant and nice congratulated us on our anniversary and changed our room, offering a comp breakfast for our inconvenience. We were placed in room 235........visually, the room was great but the smell and location was the worst. Upon opening the door, we were greeted with bugs that flew in from the balcony door being left open and a really bad mildew smell. We killed the bugs and fixed the lock on the door and closed the door. We didn't want to complain about the smell since they went out of their way and gave us a king bed. The smell comes from the faulty ac unit that leaks water on the carpet, yep the floor was wet too. Just as we were settling in for the night, we noticed that people tend to congregate right in front of our room. There are a few chairs here that should be removed. We called the front desk to clear them out the first time but a hour later, more people came back but they were much quieter and dispersed around 11:30. We went to sleep but were woken up by people talking outside around 12:30am. I couldn't tell where it was coming from without have to look outside but they were LOUD!! I had to turn on the AC to drown out the sound of the talking. It lasted until 1:30am. The next night wasn't so bad, other than the smell, we had some outside voices that lasted from 12:30am to 3:30am. I think it was coming from a room as I can't imagine someone standing outside that long.
We had breakfast at the buffet each morning, it was good. It was always fresh and hot, especially the croissants. You can get a waffle or omelet made to order but you have to request it from the waiter. Alot of people did not know this, I wasn't told the first day :(.
I really wanted to change hotel rooms after the 1st night but my husband didn't want to pack our things up so we just dealt with it and I felt really bad about asking for the king, I should have just kept what we had. We didn't know if we would just end up with another bad room if we requested to move.
All and all, the staff was great, service great, but the room was bad. Its hit or miss. I don't know if I will return. If I do, I will ask to check out the room first. If hotel mgmt reads this, please close that room off, rip the floor up and replace that leaky unit. RM 235.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear mrlddst,

First I would like to Thank You for choosing to stay with The DoubleTree Williamsburg on you recent trip. I would like to apologize for the confusion with the reservation and request you had prior to your arrival, we have looked into the issue and addressed the breakdown in communication. I would also like to apologize about the leaky AC unit, as we have just completed a major renovation we have found that some of our units were not installed correctly which leads to leaks and this is an issue we are correcting but unfortunately on occasion we do not find out until a guest informs us. I have shared your positive comments about breakfast with our team. If you would like to discuss your recent trip further please contact me at 757.220.2500

Tom Custo

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg? Share your experiences!