“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg

You added DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg to your Saves list
DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   50 Kingsmill Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Williamsburg Hotel & Conference Center)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 20% - Book Early!
Ranked #19 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Petersburg, United States
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

It was a nice stay. The hotel is decorated in 80s style in the lobby. The room were nice a little more modern. Ran into a little trouble with the water going from gold to hot. The front desk staff was very nice and accommodating.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Brooklyn
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

My friends and I were here for a weekend because the hotel was near Busch Gardens. It was extremely close by and I definitely worth staying here. The hotel was a little hard to locate because there were not clear signs of where the front entrance was. We came in at 2am and it took us a while as we drove around the property finding the entrance. The staffs were very nice and gave us endless amount of chocolate chip cookies during our stay.

Rooms- It was very clean and the rooms were spacious as well (we had two queen beds). The only negative was that our room was located at the back of the hotel. We had to walk through 5 long hallways and two ramps each time we walked in and out of the hotel.

Restaurant options- Most of the restaurants were 15-20mins away from the hotel, it wasn't too bad at all.

Room Tip: I would request any rooms that are close to the elevators
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is still going through some renovation, but I believe it is confined to one area and it did not disturb us whatsoever. Our room was clean and nicely updated. Great bed linens and pillows. We chose the hotel for its proximity to Busch Gardens and we were not disappointed. It was a $6 cab ride to the park.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Richmond, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Love this layout of this hotel and the balconies off of the rooms. The hotel was under renovations and the HVAC was not very efficient. Some of the meeting rooms smelled of mold and mildew. Location is great, but be aware that you WILL hear fireworks from Busch Gardens each evening.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Middletown, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was very disappointed and insulted by the treatment I received from Alana at the Double Tree by Hilton Williamsburg. My family and I had reservations for two nights booked through hotels.com, but due to a family emergency we missed the first night of the reservation. I am not inexperienced; I understand that booking through one of these sites is often nonrefundable, so that was not the issue. When we arrived for the second night’s stay Alana said that the hotel had canceled my reservation because I was a no show, but I was charged for the first night anyway because I was a no show. I told her that the charge was nonrefundable and since I was charged for both nights already, I was now here to use the second night, to which she replied that the hotel had the right to cancel me because I was a no show and it was booked through a third party so although I already paid hotels.com I had not booked directly and I was a NO SHOW! Since I could see this was going nowhere and my family was in the car I asked if there were any rooms available to which Alana replied she would see if she could accommodate me, implying that she was doing me a favor. She did come up with a room which I could book for $179 using my AAA and AFT discounts. Having already paid $129 per night nonrefundable for two nights and now being charged an additional $179, I asked for a manager and was told she was the floor supervisor.
I then asked what I should have done to continue to reserve the room I had already paid for when I could not come on the first night and was told I should have contacted the hotel. I showed Alana the phone number on my “reservation” receipt and told her I had tried repeatedly to call earlier in the week to see if they had discount tickets to local attractions and no one answered. At this point I handed over my credit card to be charged yet again and Alana said she would talk to someone else and see what she could do for me. She went in a back room and I stood at the desk for another five minutes. I used this time to call the hotel phone number and although there were two other people behind the counter no one answered. When Alana came out she said that they would re-open the hotels.com reservation and I would not be charged again. I showed Alana that I was currently calling the hotel and no one was answering. She smiled in my face and picked up the phone answering with the hotel greeting. And at that choice moment she asked if I would like a cookie.
Were my experiences calling and receiving no answer unique? Apparently not. Later in the evening at around 9:30, I was at the bar in the hotel restaurant and a waiter answered the phone. He told the caller that he could not answer his question and he needed to call the hotel front desk. The caller must have said no one was answering because the waiter replied, “This happens all the time. You call them again and I’ll walk over and tell them to answer the phone.” !?! I couldn’t believe what I was hearing and I watched as he walked over to the front desk.
To sum it up, I spent 25 minutes groveling at the check-in desk to acquire a room I had already paid for. I have been traveling for 30 years and I must say this is the worst service and treatment I have ever received. If asked about hospitality and guest services at Double Tree Hilton Williamsburg, I would smirk and say they need more training and then give them all some cookies!

lebanon, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

This place was great very friendly staff and the updates being done make the place feel like new.I would recommend to anyone staying in the Williamsburg area. Its right next to Bush Gardens and a short drive from Historic down town.

Gloucester, NC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Okay, first of all I use tripadvisor for every vacation that I plan. I read all the reviews on this property, with some of them negative and some not so bad. I really had no choice for the date of our stay with all other hotels in the Williamsburg area were sold out. First hotel mistake: I made my reservation two weeks prior to our stay, seems reasonable? My family and I had been in Busch Gardens for 10 hours and were hot and tired. We arrived at this hotel around 10 pm and were told that all the rooms were "sold out" and the only rooms left were handicap accessible. This was a bit strange, considering I made my reservation two weeks ago. We agreed to take the room since I believe the only difference is spaces are easier to access in the room. We were given a room number of 366, which was suppose to be on the third floor. We waited for about 10 minutes for one of the two elevators to come back down. When we arrived on the third floor, we were amazed that we still had three floors to walk up, very weird, I have never seen anything like this before to get to a room? Again we were tired and dragging suitcases, bags etc... When we finally arrived at our room door, the door was locked from the inside?? So, after trying several different times to open the door, we had no choice but to go back down the three flights of inclines/stairs and wait for the elevator again, 10 minute wait, and report back to the check in counter. I explained to the lady that we had tried our room key and the door seemed to be locked from the inside. She said to go back up and try it again that some of the door knobs were installed upside down!!??!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing....I was not happy with the walk up there or the ride back down. I asked for another room and was told repeatedly that they had a overwhelming amount of "walk-ins" and those were the only rooms left? Again- what happened to the room I reserved TWO WEEKS prior to my stay?? She then became very frustrated and had a very ugly attitude with me - not a good idea if you plan to work with the public - and offered me and my tired family a room a step closer - like two steps. No - I was not happy with this. We were deciding to leave this hotel and go somewhere else when she decided that there was a room on the first floor and much closer. Only had to go up one flight of extra stairs to get to this room. It was like I had to pull teeth to actually get my room that I should have been entitled to in the beginning with a reservation? She very quickly snatched up room keys, swiped them and threw them on the counter. No enjoy your stay - call if you need us, nothing. Upon arriving in our new room, we noticed that our dead-bolt lock to our room door would not work from the inside. The sliding glass door was unlocked, thank heavens I check these things. The bathroom door would only shut if you pushed very hard on it or slammed it. The extra counter outside the bathroom - light did not work. The light fixtures in the bathroom were covered in rust and no air or ventilation in the bathroom at all??? If this hotel is under going construction/ remodel, I believe the best thing would be to tear it down. The nicest thing in the hotel or that we noticed was the bedding seemed to be new and the nice size TV. Oh, it was quiet - to be completely "sold out" as well. I'm not sure what this hotel is trying to pull, but I never saw anyone leave the entire floor? I feel that since we had a government discount, they did not want to give us a room that they could sell for a higher price that night. We are Hampton Inn people and plan to stay there for now on. I was very disappointed with this hotel and their staff. I see other people have had a wonderful experience, but this is ours. I will not stay here again. If you decide to, make sure to ask if your room is actually being held for you and how far you will walk to get to your room. One more note. There is NO continental breakfast at this hotel. You will pay for everything and you will pay a lot.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Williamsburg? Share your experiences!