“Not a safe motel! Terrible manager!” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #49 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
“Not a safe motel! Terrible manager!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We arrived on 071213 and as soon as we began to unpack i plugged a universal canon camera charger into a general outlet and i was electrocuted and the outlet caught on fire. I immediately notified the owner, who placed the blame on me and actually wanted us to continue our stay in this unsafe room. He finally moved us but not without ample complaining from us (our kids could have gotten shocked. We prefer to clean our own rooms bc we have had hotel staff steal from us before and two times ojt of my week long stay i needed towels and extra pillows. The hotel claims to have front desk service 24hrs yet the owner locks the door and hides in the back after 11pm. When i asked for pillows he hassled me, when my 12yr old daughter went for clean towels she was hasseled. I called priceline to complain about the owner. They contacted him and he replied with a bunch of lies claiming we were the problem. Worst motel exp i have ever had! Dirty showers, bugs (not sure what kind but plenty, staff that does not speak english (or uninteligable), slimy pool with no lifeguard, rude lying mean owner, breakfast tasted like old stale bagels. Overall just stay anywhere but here! Much nicer hotels the same distance or even closer to busch gardens and water country U.S.A

• Stayed July 2013
Kambala, General Manager at Econo Lodge Colonial, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your input about your stay.
Suffice to stay your matter was answered in a response to Booking .Com.
If you need a copy we gladly forward it to you.

Once again thanks for choosing to stay with us.

70 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lynchburg, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

We stayed here all weekend from Friday till Sunday. We were very pleased, nice room and very quite. We even had pizza delivered with no problem. The room was clean and a good size. We were right in front of the pool in non smoking room. We will be back and will tell family n friends.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Kambala, General Manager at Econo Lodge Colonial, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Dear Guest

Very glad that you found the room to your satisfaction. We strive to keep each guest the best
experience possible at our lodge.
Thank you for your stay and comments.
Stem, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is an older hotel and it isn't a bad place to stay, it was clean but the last night we were there I woke in the morning to find a bed bug crawling across my arm.
I realize this is a problem in a lot of hotels no matter their star ratings...
But that wasn't very pleasant.
And yes I did do some looking under the mattress and sheets before I stay anywhere..
I think I missed them in the comforter though... after squashing the one on my arm I found a second one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kambala, Manager at Econo Lodge Colonial, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thank you for input regarding your stay with.
When the comment was posted we had our exterminator check all of our rooms. NOTHING was found. Since that time in February and current time NO reports have been reported or found by us.

Thank you for your review since your inputs help us identify problems.
We always welcome comments and suggestions to better a guest experience at our lodge.
King, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights while visiting Colonial Williamsburg. Our room was reasonably priced, clean, and comfortable. The staff was extremely nice and helpful, and the location was very convenient. A great place to sleep while sight seeing in Williamsburg.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kambala, General Manager at Econo Lodge Colonial, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your response. We are pleased you give high marks to the our value.

Hope to see you in summer. The pool is now open.
Stephens City, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a great place for the cash. For the weekend at Busch Gardens, it's perfect. The breakfast is a bit lacking but overall the room was nice. I would defiantly stay again. The room was really really clean and the staff was great. I've been there three times this summer, they have a pool, but I haven't had a chance to swim.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cortlandt Manor, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I went to Williamsburg with my family for a vacation in August. It was very reasonably priced, clean, quiet and very close to all the action. Don't stay here expecting it to be a "Resort". It's a place to rest your head. They had a small pool that looked OK, but we just never had time to use it. The only thing I could possibly grip about was the small selection of breakfast choices. You had 2 kinds of cereals, 2 kinds of bread for toast and 2 kinds of muffins and of course coffee and juice. Simple but sufficient. But after a couple of days there something different would have been nice. And when all is said and done, I would definitely stay here again, if I returned to the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Big Island, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We recently stayed at the Econo Lodge Colonial for two nights. The price was one of the lowest in Williamsburg and the location is convenient. After reading the reviews, I expected a little more. The rooms need some updating. The bed was really uncomfortable; I hate those thin bedspreads. There was also a stain on my top sheet that matched perfectly with the sheet below it, leading me to believe the sheets had not been washed before we arrived. Maybe I'm wrong. Having a refrigerator and microwave was nice. Giving this hotel a 2-star rating would seem harsh because this could be average for the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge Colonial? Share your experiences!