“Bed Bugs” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #45 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Stem, North Carolina
“Bed Bugs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is an older hotel and it isn't a bad place to stay, it was clean but the last night we were there I woke in the morning to find a bed bug crawling across my arm.
I realize this is a problem in a lot of hotels no matter their star ratings...
But that wasn't very pleasant.
And yes I did do some looking under the mattress and sheets before I stay anywhere..
I think I missed them in the comforter though... after squashing the one on my arm I found a second one.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kambala, Manager at Econo Lodge Colonial, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest.

Thank you for input regarding your stay with.
When the comment was posted we had our exterminator check all of our rooms. NOTHING was found. Since that time in February and current time NO reports have been reported or found by us.

Thank you for your review since your inputs help us identify problems.
We always welcome comments and suggestions to better a guest experience at our lodge.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
King, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We stayed here for a couple of nights while visiting Colonial Williamsburg. Our room was reasonably priced, clean, and comfortable. The staff was extremely nice and helpful, and the location was very convenient. A great place to sleep while sight seeing in Williamsburg.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Kambala, General Manager at Econo Lodge Colonial, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your response. We are pleased you give high marks to the our value.

Hope to see you in summer. The pool is now open.
Stephens City, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

This is a great place for the cash. For the weekend at Busch Gardens, it's perfect. The breakfast is a bit lacking but overall the room was nice. I would defiantly stay again. The room was really really clean and the staff was great. I've been there three times this summer, they have a pool, but I haven't had a chance to swim.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Cortlandt Manor, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I went to Williamsburg with my family for a vacation in August. It was very reasonably priced, clean, quiet and very close to all the action. Don't stay here expecting it to be a "Resort". It's a place to rest your head. They had a small pool that looked OK, but we just never had time to use it. The only thing I could possibly grip about was the small selection of breakfast choices. You had 2 kinds of cereals, 2 kinds of bread for toast and 2 kinds of muffins and of course coffee and juice. Simple but sufficient. But after a couple of days there something different would have been nice. And when all is said and done, I would definitely stay here again, if I returned to the area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Big Island, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

We recently stayed at the Econo Lodge Colonial for two nights. The price was one of the lowest in Williamsburg and the location is convenient. After reading the reviews, I expected a little more. The rooms need some updating. The bed was really uncomfortable; I hate those thin bedspreads. There was also a stain on my top sheet that matched perfectly with the sheet below it, leading me to believe the sheets had not been washed before we arrived. Maybe I'm wrong. Having a refrigerator and microwave was nice. Giving this hotel a 2-star rating would seem harsh because this could be average for the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Danville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We were only going to be in Williamsburg for the weekend and were on a budget. While we like nice hotels, we didn't feel the need to spend a lot of money this time since we weren't planning on being in the hotel that much (Colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Premier Outlet shopping). I've been visiting the Williamsburg area for 20+ years and have stayed in my fair share of hotels all across the area. It was between this Econo Lodge and the Rhodeway Inn Historic which is just around the corner. Both offered the same thing and for the same price but this had better reviews which helped make the decision easier (I'm sure the Rhodeway Inn is a nice hotel too and might try that in the future). This hotel is in a good location that is just off the main road of Second Street. Within walking distance is Second Street Restaurant and Colonial Pancake House (we ate at both and highly recommend Second St. Restaurant). The front desk clerk was accommodating when we asked for a quiet room. The room is an average hotel room. Nothing fancy. The king bed was a bit on the hard side. It was hot and humid all weekend and we put the A/C to good use. It ran constantly and never let up. The mini-fridge and microwave in the room was extremely nice when it came to our leftovers from Second Street Restaurant. The continental breakfast was somewhat average; donuts, cereal, and toast with coffee and juice. Colonial Williamsburg is only 5-10 mins away depending on what part you visit first. Only about 10-15 min drive to Busch Gardens (almost a straight shot).

Room Tip: Rooms on the back side (facing west) seemed to be quieter than ones on the front side or near the po...