“DO NOT STAY HERE” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge Inn & Suites - Williamsburg

Save Saved
You added Econo Lodge Inn & Suites - Williamsburg to your Saves list
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites - Williamsburg
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   119 Bypass Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Americas Best Value Inn )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #35 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Baltimore, Maryland
“DO NOT STAY HERE”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I read the reviews before booking and thought they seemed okay. Now I am wondering if they were faked. Our room smelled like mildew , had mold on the bathroom ceiling. Something was leaking because all of our towels and clothes that were on a rack in the bathroom got soaked. The carpet under the sink was wet as well. The room was not very clean.. We could see trash beside the dressers and cobwebs beside the air conditioner. The breakfast was tiny, just cereal, waffles, pecan rolls. There wasn't enough tables for everyone and there was a sign that you couldnt leave the room with food. We tried to just deal with it but the real kicker is when we were getting ready to leave.. My husband was going to the car, I was standing in the doorway waiting for him and I noticed an employee walk by, who didn't say anything just glanced in our room as they walked by. About 10 min later we all made our way to the car and turned around to see our hotel room door WIDE OPEN. There was no cleaning cart there.. So what were they doing??? They were waiting for us to leave. Im trusting my gut here and I honestly think they were snooping. We will never EVER stay here again. Worst hotel I have ever been to.

• Stayed July 2014

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My grandson and I had a two bed room on the first floor for two nights while we visited Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Jamestown. Ever-present, ever-pleasant Vinny was at the front desk both for check-in and check-out and to provide us with help finding places to eat. We found two restaurants, both of which were nearby. Rocco’s Bar-b-que had excellent fare, as did the Kyoto, a sushi and teppanyaki restaurant.

The room was of ample size and was very clean as were the linens. Housekeeping came in while we were out and cleaned and made the beds. Two comfortable chairs were provided at a large (5 ft) round table. There were adequate spare electrical outlets to use 2 tablets, 2 laptops, and to charge our 2 phones. The WiFi internet service was not very fast (just under 2 mbps download speed as measured at bandwidthplace.com), but seemed to be adequate to stream Video from Netflix and YouTube. We didn’t use the TV.

All in all, we had a pleasant experience at a property which is an excellent value. I would definitely stay there again and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were pleased with our stay in the king suite despite a couple of minor issues. First I would like to inform we stayed across the street 2 weeks prior/for a similar rate and were not happy, therefore did not have many expectations this past weekend. I requested a rm upstairs away from the pool due to noise level and my request was granted, they also noticed since I had a toddler and needed to bring a few things upstairs, gear etc, they gave us rm near the stairs. Also I received help bringing up heavier items/bags from 2 staff, this was immediately since I asked upon checkin. Normally my husband carries everything or makes a couple of trips but he was not joining us til later. I was impressed 2ppl helped. Walking into the living rm area of the suite it was very cool, both ac units one in the bedroom and one in the living room were on high cool, the suite was clean. Older carpet, dated bathrooms, but no major issues. The bed was very comfortable for a regular king (I had forgotten what a normal comfortable bed was like since we have a foam/gel tempurpedic type at home) Pillows were interesting, 6 on the bed all totally different, firm, soft, fake down, foam I think etc.. anyway it was like goldilocks testing pillows or something when we went to bed.. my choice was the new generation pillow, they were pretty new and clean, this was the first place in a while that I did not use my own pillowcase I bring from home. The comforter was another story. On the outside part there was a small stain, could've been blood or chocolate or who knows what, anyway it didnt look new, just like it had been washed and now truly a stain. I called Vinny/managment about it, he offered to have it changed but I figured by the time someone came up my toddler would be disrupted from his nap (he slept in our playyard in the living rm area) so I folded the comforter over toward the foot of the bed and it was not used at all, sheets were ok, but also had some older stains, mostly lines on the edges, maybe from the washers/dryers. I did not open the pull out sofa, but we were pleased with the sofa itself. It was not a super cheap rock hard loveseat we have seen in the past at condos, or basic timeshare rentals etc. Fridge and freezer looked ok, no odors. Microwave was clean. Paper cups stocked, plastic cups not restocked just had 1. Ice pail was clean, coffee table had water spots but there was very little dust. There were two closets two ironing boards. Two safes that were both extremely dusty on top. The only other dirty area I found was under the edge on the vanity areas. I know it must sound nuts I checked all these areas but my toddler gets into everything and I wipe alot of stuff down wherever we check in anywhere, even the more expensive disney areas. Like I said the bathrooms are dated but very clean, towels looked newer but just average thin white towels. Tubs looked as good as they can get, the shower curtain was newer and fabric. There were two identical bathrooms one in living rm and one in bedroom. There was a sink in each bathroom and sink outside each bathroom for a total of four sinks. Water pressure in the shower was fine. Temp no issues either. But the paint job was dated, some chips etc. One bathroom light had automatic fan, so we opted to use the one where fan turned on separately. There were two tvs which were older, it really didnt matter since we werent there to watch tv, just get rest between going to the parks. Breakfast was coffee, cereal, juice, milk, bagels, bread, pecan pinweels (like the cheap 6 in a dollar pk kind) hardboiled eggs, bananas, and make your own waffle, with syrup dispenser. We got there at 9 and it was pretty packed, able to get last table. I just toasted a bagel and was happy they had the little refrigerated tubes of phil cream cheese. The line up for the waffle maker was maybe 4 ppl deep, my husband said he waited a bit because the lady infront of him forgot to spray it and took forever to scrape it off.. anyway no complaints on breakfast everything looked really fresh, the little pinwheels looked like they were chilled and covered in saran wrap. Pool area was well kept. Parking was not too full but I was able to hear people talking outside in the hall, I know 10pm or 11pm is not too bad.. but ppl checking out at 330am, moving cars and yelling about not forgetting stuff is a little ridiculous. I did not complain about this because the place was almost silent during the day and earlier evening hrs. And I dont think management can control noise level in this case. The last bad thing (but may be good for some I guess) is that upon morning check out we passed a rm coming back from breakfast that smelled like a ton of pot, our safe in the living room area smelled the same when my toddler cracked it open (like I said he gets into everything really likes resetting the numbers) I did not notice the smell until I reset the codes and left them open at checkout.. glad all we had was the smell and did not encounter my toddler holding onto the original source...

Pros; size of suite is good for a family, I would recommend if staying on a short stay

Cons: cleanliness due to dated areas not due to filth or lack of attention

Overall I think staff does the best they are able to do in accommodating.we had an issue with the key to one of our doors (suite has two of those as well) and my husband was very impressed on how quickly Vinny came to our aide. He mentioned they were going to get a new lock since there was trouble with the key.

BTW I thought it was interesting there were two of everything except the phone. There was one in the living room area, I figured it made more sense on the nightstand if anyone used wake up calls.

Room Tip: suites are great even though there is not an actual door to separate rooms just a doorway.. AC was s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Vinny R, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites - Williamsburg, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guest ,
It was very sweet to hear such a wonderful comments from you. We will consider your remarks as a rewards for our hard working staff and their enthusiastic attitude toward our guest.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one. Thanks and have a wonderful summer
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Please ignore any bad reviews, It may be called econolodge but it was as clean, comfortable, safe and had many amenities as the high end hotels. We travel all the time and could not believe what a gem this place was. We are thankful to all previous reviewers who left great reviews. We will be staying there again in the future.

The owner was very nice and cares about the appearance of his hotel and the comfort of his guests.

The pool is clean and the lounging area around the pool is inviting and relaxing.

The rooms are freshly painted, clean and the mattresses have pillow tops and are comfortable. We had a great night sleep. There is a sink in the bathroom and a sink outside the bathroom in a seperate area to get ready. There was also a new mini frig, microwave, coffee pot and a in room safe, table and chairs. The airconditioner worked great and there were plenty of electrical outlets.

The free continental breakfast is from 6:30 am to 9:30 am and had a waffle maker, 3 kinds of cereal, instant oatmeal, pecan rolls, toast, bagels, hard boiled eggs, bananas, juices, coffee, tea,and milk. The staff made sure everything was continously refilled and offered any help you might need. If this breakfast isnt enough for you there are many places for breakfast within walking distance or a 1-2 minute drive.

The hotel is under 2 miles away from Colonial Williamsburg and a few miles from Busch Gardens. In the lobby there is a large brochure stand filled with local activities.

• Stayed July 2014
First of thanks for selecting our hotel for your Williamsburg vacation.
We are very happy to know that you were very pleased at our hotel and hospitality. It was so kind of you for giving us lovely remarks. We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your responses will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

thanks again
Greencastle, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This review has been one of the hardest I have written due to us not staying in these types of motels. I believe in being honest and writing what you observed or experienced as many people, ourselves included, read trip advisor before staying or eating somewhere. First off I will say that we don't stay at these types of motels as a rule and as a review previously stated in his review, I guess you get what you pay for. Our room was 63 for Wednesday, even though I was told Tuesday night if we decided to come in a day early that my rate would be the 53.00 we were paying for Thursday night and also that I did not need to make the reservation for Wednesday night as they had plenty of availability. So we did end up driving all the way there on Wednesday and checked in. I was not given the 53.00 rate instead had to pay $10.00 more because Vinnie said that it was based on the availability and that the hotel was filling up. Even when I told him I was told it would be the same by Terri, he didn't honor this price. So if the motel was so full that I had to pay extra price, why was there only a handful of cars in the entire parking lot?? There was hardly anyone in there Wednesday night. We paid 80 plus for Friday night and the hotel was full that night. I was told when I made the reservation, as I looked at pictures on internet and the rooms seem dated, that the hotel rooms are in process of being renovated and that all the king rooms were done, with the exception of the tvs, they were still the old style. I was worried about mattresses as I have a bad back. I was assured that the mattresses were new. We check in to the first room, and their is a large roach on the bathroom floor, a dirty towel on the bathroom door, lampshades that were stained, lamp socket that was bad and light wouldnt stay on, stains on carpet under sink and a broke down mattress. This was not a newly renovated room. So I go back to office, all after traveling 14 hours, and explain what I was told about room and they moved us next door and told me the rooms hadnt been renovated for years and that the first room's mattress was 6 or 7 years old. I told them I specifically asked about mattresses before I made reservation. So the next room they put us in had mold on shower curtain and long hair on floor in bathroom behind door. I discovered this after I said the room looked ok. The bed mattress in this room I was told was about 3-4 years old. Ok mattress slept ok as long as you got yourself situated in the dips in the mattress. The room is real narrow, not much space to walk betweek bottom of bed and dresser and microwave. They do have two sinks which were nice to have, one small one inside bathroom and one outside bathroom. Molding was off walls, teh carpet looked old, the fan in the bathroom spelled hot when you turned on the light and their was a big gap under the door to the outside, that you could see light through and added to the noise level from outside. When a car would pull up directly outside your room the lights shine right in even with curtains closed and the noise from locking cars, moving around etc was loud in room due to the big gap under the door. We did not hear anyone through the walls like people talking or televisions but we did under door. We didn't have them clean room the first night, thought it would be nice for them not to have to, but when we asked for towels for our shower that night, we were given totally different towels that they had in the room, very thin ones. Not sure why. We did have them clean the room the next day, hoping to get better towels and curious if they would sweep and mop bathoom floor, which was a no. Long hair still behind door and no plastic cups at all were left as we had used the ones left by the ice bucket and coffee. Not sure why they leave you four bathtowels but only give you two washclothes?? Also, not sure why, but if you take a breadspread off the bed to use your own, shouldnt they leave the other one alone until you check out. Nothing worse that having the bed remade and the hotel staff putting their breadspread that was put in closet, over the one we bring from home. We also take our own breadspread since we never know when the hotels get washed, so we dont want the hotels breadspread put on ours. We get theirs out when we leave. Breakfast was the simplest we have seen. Even my husband who went over to get coffee couldn't believe it. Only some small round pecan rolls, a waffle maker, few bagels, toast, a cereal, juice, milk and coffee was all he saw. Vinnie and wife seemed nice, and the hotel was located in a easy to find and easy to get to other attractions, location, but very frustrated over the information given to us on phone on rates and the room being remodeled. If we had been told it was a old hotel and not been remodeled for a long time, then I wouldnt have expected much. But peeling wallpaper, old televisions, dingy carpet, gaps under door, mold on shower curtain, bed broken down, this I wasn't expecting.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Vinny R, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites - Williamsburg, responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guest ,
All the above ,first of all thanks for selecting our hotel for your two night stay with us.
My dear guest I think you haven't check your final invoice , we did adjusted your first night stay as we quoted by our front desk clerk. But credit card does take 6 to 7 business days to adjust your account. Second thing this hotel did remodel in 2013 except bedding because that was done in 2009.And commercial bedding are good for at least 8 to 10 year. Another thing if you read our last reviews 9 out 10 people have complimented about our pillow top best quality bedding. But of Corse every individual is different
.On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you provided to make improvements to ensure we offer an exceptional experience for our guests in the future.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. thanks
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Speechless but in a bad way. My family and I stayed at this hotel in room 124 on June 26-29 and we will never stay again. Great rate but I guess you get what you pay for. The room was filthy and have photos to back that up. We were lucky if we were able to see to use the toilet or to take a shower because every time we turned on the light in the bathroom it was a wait and see if it would actually turn on. The vent in the bathroom made noise but didn't work and was so dirty it looked like it has never been cleaned. The mirror had black spots all over it and the shower/tub combo looked like it was pieced together by a 5yr old. The shower curtain rod was so loose it was about to fall off. And underneath the bathroom sink there were loose screws and washers amongst the black grime it was sitting in.The beds were to soft and when we pulled out the sofa bed there was a dirty shirt left there from the previous guests.The floors were filthy and we would not walk barefoot on them. The furniture was all banged up with stains on the chair and the lamp shades were ripped. When we returned from a day at Busch Gardens we pulled into the parking lot to find two police officers talking to someone on the top floor above us. It made us feel very unsafe. One morning my husband was standing outside of our room waiting for my children and I to come out and someone spit from the balcony above him and it almost got on him. The cleaning staff were arguing with each other in plain sight of guests. I get that the hotel is not going to be upscale but no matter how cheap it is it should still be clean. Before check in we called and spoke with the manager Vinnie and we told him about our concerns with the cleanliness of the rooms and he assured us he will have a nice clean room for us. If he thinks that room was clean I would really hate to see what his house looks like. We never used the pool but every time we drove past it there were used towels left out hanging over the chairs or on the ground that were never picked up from the previous day. Would not recommend this hotel. The only reason we stayed here was because it was the only thing available that would fit us without having to get two rooms. We were out of our comfort zone and decided to take a risk and stay but never again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
First of all thanks you very much for choosing our hotel for your three night stay. We are extremely unhappy to hear about your inconveniences at your stay especial about the bath room. I have myself inspected the room and corrected all issues. We really apologies for that I wish it could come to my attention on your very 1st day stay. The police came that night not because of any other problem but some one dialed 911 by mistake.

Ketchikan, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Here on a visit which we usually make about once a year, we really enjoyed our stay with EL! The beds were so fluffy comfortable and clean. We got the name of the mattress and want to buy one like it. The staff were just as accommodating and very nice! Close to DQ and many other attractions, we will stay here again and again in the future. If your thinking about price this is the best for your money!!! The staff were also very very helpful and courteous! The continental breakfast deserves mention as well; fresh Danishes and great coffee. Usually at other hotels I have observed this aspect leaves quite a bit to be desired. However, this breakfast was FRESH and the staff took extra care to see that it was! Kudos! Thanks to you best vaca in a long while!!

Room Tip: We did upgrade to the suite with the couch bed and even though we did not use it for sleep we did lo...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Vinny R, Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites - Williamsburg, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear guest,
First of all thanks for choosing our hotel for your Williamsburg vacation. We really appreciate your kind words about our property and services. We are glad to hear that you liked our area location close to all attraction.Dear William,

We very much appreciate and value your feedback and will share it with our team. Your reviwes will serve as encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services to provide an exceptional experience for our guests. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be even more pleasant than the previous one.thanks

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites - Williamsburg? Share your experiences!