“An OK stay, but nothing special. And DON'T eat the breakfast” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #41 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Constant Traveller
“An OK stay, but nothing special. And DON'T eat the breakfast”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

I visited the Williamsburg area in mid-November 2011 for a family event. This hotel is large, modern and conveniently located on "hotel row" in a busy part of town just a mile or two from Colonial Williamsburg. It's actually located on a hotel "campus" where four hotels share a parking lot and a couple of family restaurants. It's not a bad arrangement, but late arrivals should be ready for a long walk from the car.

The staff is very nice, but not exceptionally helpful. I think most of them were browsing the internet at the check-in desk. The lobby is awkward and fragmented, but hey, you're not meeting Henry Kissinger there so don't worry about it. The breakfast room is a long hike down a couple of hallways, and while it is large enough and clean enough the food is simply awful. Everything is wrapped in plastic; everything is disposable; everything is processed. Skip it and go to the almost-as-bad IHOP across the parking lot. At least the food there is hot.

As for the room, it was Fairfield typical. We got the ordinary semi-suite, with a TV in the sleeping area and another TV in the "sitting room." The bed was fine, the A/C was noisy, there was no luggage rack (and no place to set it up if there was one); the bathroom was acceptable and all in all I was glad to get out on Sunday morning.

That being said, the price was $109/night, one of the least expensive options in the area. So I got what I paid for, I guess.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Andrew M, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Many thanks for your comments on your stay - Fairfield as a company is working on the breakfast and hopefully will roll out a new breakfast arrangement shortly.

Thanks again and I hope to see you back at the hotel on your next visit

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for two nights over Thanksgiving;I travel frequently and use Marriott so was able to get two nights free for points. I was a little hesitant about Fairfield Inns, since I usually stay in Courtyards or Residence Inns. We were very pleasantly surprised by the superb customer service and friendliness of the front desk staff. They also gave us advice when asked for finding particular stores and restaurants. When we needed a wine opener for a bottle of wine we had purchased, they sent one up promptly.We had a suite and it was very nice and clean- two TV's and a queen bed. The bed was somewhat hard- I think that was probably the worst part of the stay, but otherwise Iwould stay here again and recommend it. Very close to Historic Williamsburg and along Richmond Road, which if you are looking for a pancake house, has to have more pancake places on one road that anyplace I have ever seen!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your erview of our hotel - it is always great to hear feedback from our customers - I have shared your comments with my team - so that we can improve

Many thanks

Vienna, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2011

We arrived at around 7:30 PM Thanksgiving night with three children - youngest is 2. After a full/fun day at Williamsburg, we were ready for a night of sleep. Right away, I pulled back the corners of the mattress like I always do at a hotel ... never have I found anything. I found black specs, but wasn't sure it was really bed bugs. Then, I pulled sheets back further and found an actual bed bug - I even pulled it up on our computer to make sure it matched a picture. We called right away to the front desk - not even an apology OR AN ARGUMENT - that was the worst part! No surprise, just "yes, you can check out. There is a Residence Inn or Courtyard down the street!" We could not believe it! We got out of there SO FAST! Things that were weird ... edges of mattresses were very worn, as if they had been cleaned or vacuumed. Windows were open when we entered the room - sprayed? Anyway, their answer to our phone call that we had seen bed bugs was the most telling of all. Shame on them for allowing anyone to stay there.

My husband and I were grossed out. Our kids didn't want to cut our trip short, though. Marriott - through a phone call - was wonderful. We ended up staying at the Marriott at Fords Manor, which was beautiful, clean, and amazing!! We will stay there on our next trip to Williamsburg. Unfortunately, we were supposed to stay until Saturday, but there was only room for us for one day.

Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
TRACEY S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Wow - we missed the boat on this one - I would like to talk with you about your stay so that I can
apologize in person for the problems you encountered - we take this sort of guest issue very seriously. As part of our ongoing maintenance program we have a contract with a pest control company for regular maintenance. I will be contacting them today to inspect the room and will update with the report from them.

Once again I apologize for the horrible service you received - please contact me directly

Columbus, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

The room at the Fairfield Inn and Suites in Williamsburg, VA was very clean, and the included breakfast there was good. The hotel was conveniently located for visiting Williamsburg area attractions -- such as Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement, Historic Jamestowne, and the large Williamsburg outlet mall. We didn't have any problems other than some difficulty in finding a parking place when we returned at 9:30 PM on one of the evenings when we were there. Overall, we found this hotel to be a good place to stay during our October 2011 visit to Williamsburg.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor of the second building (farther back than the first building from the bu...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and thanks for letting us know that we are providing a good clean hotel with friendly staff
Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

We visited this hotel while on a two week vacation of the East Coast. We stayed for two night while visiting Colonial Williamsburg and the outlet shopping. We found the hotel a standard Fairfield and we have stayed in a number around the US. The service was friendly and helpful, the rooms were clean and the breakfast was plentiful. It was very close to everything with lots of casual and formal dining options nearby.

The one down side was the outside company that provides the room service. I would recommend you order food from anywhere BUT here. The menu is extensive but the food is gross. If you have ever watched Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares it is very similar to the fare that he receives at the beginning of the show. They have a bunch of take out menus in the lobby go with one of them instead.

And I would say that this case is an anomaly as we have order room service from restaurants that provide outside service for Fairfields before and it is generally pretty good.

We didn't notice any smell that some of the other people mentioned and we were there on the 17th and 18th of October.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments on our hotel - I do apologize for the problem you encountered with Order Inn our room service provider - I have forwarded your comments to them - this is a new service that we have offered and we will look at removing it from the hotel based on your comments - thanks again and I am glad that you enjoyed your stay

Richmond, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

My son and I stayed at this hotel for just a one-night stay 10-28-11. Check-in was very easy. The front-desk attendent was very nice. I got a little worried when I heard a couple complaining about a sewer-odor that was in their room. I did overhear the other front desk clerk offer to put them in another room, so that was promising. I got to my room, 314, and there was no sewage-smell. The room itself looked clean. The beds were very comfortable. The TV worked. The bathroom made me a little nervous. There were hairs on the bathroom floor and in the shower (not mine). There was only one washcloth and when I went to use it, I found make-up on it. Yuck! I picked up a towel to use and found a hair in it. I HATE that! It could not possibly be too much trouble to look at the towels before you put them in the room to make sure that there are not hairs stuck on them! When I went down to get some breakfast, there was a dirty cleaning bucket sitting on the counter next to the coffee maker. I don't want to see that and it is probably a health code violation of some kind.

This was not the worst place that I have stayed; however, at $99 a night, I don't know if I would stay there again. The parking is pretty bad. It is kind of risky turning out of the parking lot if you have to make a left-hand turn. That is a pretty busy street. The hotel is conveniently located. The rooms are big enough. There was a microwave and a fridge in the room. If the bathroom had been cleaner, I would not have a problem staying there again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Many thanks for your comments on our hotel - we appreciate the positive feedback and also the feedback that allows us to improve our product and our services

Thanks again for your comments

Mount Airy, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed at the hotel Oct. 15,2011 for one night. We went into the hotel through the door in building B. The entrance is not very visually appealing and the smell is terrible. The hallway is not very clean looking. We had stayed there before but the hotel seems much more run down then the last time.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
TRACEY S, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Williamsburg, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Many thanks for your remarks on your stay in our hotel - I would appreciate it if you could contact me so I can get some more details on the problem you encountered.

I apologize for the problems you encountered and hope that you will stay with us again

regards

Andrew Mercer

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Williamsburg? Share your experiences!