We were staying at the Marriott Manor Club for a wedding and let us first say that the hotel itself is a nice hotel. It's clean, on beautiful grounds and the rooms were spacious. Our stay, however, was tarnished and our feelings about any Marriott were affected by a surprisingly homophobic receptionist who checked Joe and I (we are a gay couple) in when we arrived.
When we arrived it was late afternoon on Friday and we drove into the hotel and we walked in together to check into our room. It was not clear we were a couple at all as we were just two guys walking into the hotel. We were greeted by an older woman in her late 40's who took our information and then as she prepared our electronic keys also went to get the wedding gift bags that were left for us. She told us about the hotel including a wine shop in the lobby which piqued our interest. After giving us our keys and gift bags we walked into the wine shop to look around quickly and then prepared to leave. On our way out we thanked the woman for her help and she jokingly said "congratulations on the wedding!" to us. I of course replied and said, "Thanks, but we are not the ones getting married yet." She then looked at us realizing that we were a couple and said, "Oh. Well, good."
I stopped wanting to give her the benefit of the doubt and asked, "what do you mean?" to which she replied, "well, I'm sorry, i just think that boys should marry girls."
Quite shocked I told her I was gay, that her comments offended me and that I did not appreciate them. I later spoke to the hotel manager the following day who was helpful and apologized and assured me that Marriott hotels do not discriminate against gay couples, but as anyone can imagine, it was an awful experience and really turned us off to the hotel who clearly hires and employes this woman. The manager called us back before we left to tell us that she wanted to apologize to us which she did. It seemed somewhat genuine, although she pretended she was just joking around, which you will just have to take our word for it, certainly did not feel like the case.
Anyway, this experience really turned us off to this hotel which had a lot going for it otherwise, but given this experience we would not recommend staying here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vacation Villas set in Ford's Colony community; minutes away from Williamsburg, Busch Gardens & Water County USA. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Marriott, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Marriott's Manor Club at Ford's Colony reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott`s Manor Club At Ford`s Colony Hotel Williamsburg
- Marriotts Manor Hotel
- Marriott Vacation Club Williamsburg
- Marriott Williamsburg
- Williamsburg Marriott
- Marriotts Manor Club Fords Colony