“Older hotel” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Clarion Hotel Historic District

You added Clarion Hotel Historic District to your Saves list
Clarion Hotel Historic District
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   351 York Street, Williamsburg, VA 23185 (Formerly Four Points by Sheraton Williamsburg Historic District)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #63 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
“Older hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

Not bad for a quick over night stay. It is old and needs some work. The positive is that there is free wifi and tasty free coffee in the lobby. Since its older the structure of the building is better and the walls are not as thin as the new hotels, so we never had issues with noise or neighbors. Oh, and they have an easy swipe key entry for room, very modern for this place. Location is good for site seeing, etc.

The negative is that the bathroom is small and needs revamping but has good water pressure. The beds were not comfortable. The tv is old and the picture is not clear, it's an old tube tv. No flat screens here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
nchalkley, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Historic District, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Thanks you for your recent stay. We are an older hotel and because of that we are built better. I am in process of ordering our flat screens as I wite this to you. We will be doing futrther renovations as the year progesses. So when you visit again some new changes will be visable.Because we are older and better built, we do everything possiable to make your stay a great one. On your return visit please stop by and see me (GM ) so I can thank you personally and provide for any additional assistance.
Neal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Our stay at the hotel was from Saturday, May 10 – Monday, May 13, 2013. We arrived around 11:00am and too experienced the surly lady at the front desk that the reviewer before me mentioned. She was not pleasant at all but did painstakingly answer all of my questions.
From the previous reviews I was expecting the worst but have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel was ‘dated’ as noted several times, but then isn’t everything in Colonial Williamsburg?  There was a bit of a mildew smell in the hallway when we arrived but it was gone the next day. Our room did not smell of mildew at all. I have to say that the beds were VERY comfortable and we slept great. Everything was clean and I think it served its purpose well and the price was great! This is all coming from someone who is a bit of a Diva…but hey I wasn’t expecting the Ritz Carlton…but then again I didn’t pay Ritz Carlton prices!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks you for the great review. I am pleased we cauld fulfill your needs. I have noted the comment concerning front desk and assure you it will be attended to immediatly. I am so glad that we could provide a nice "Diva" a great stay. We will be updating our home soon and welcome you again for an even nicer visit.
Salisbury, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I don't know if it was chemistry or what, but when I checked in I found the desk clerk to be surly -- so much so that my anticipation of exploring Williamsburg took a huge dive.

My reaction was to start writing this review the moment we got to our room, and I very diligently cataloged everything that was remotely wrong (besides the surly desk clerk). We thought the room was tiny relative to other Choice Hotels rooms. The TV was an antique tube model and the reception was not great. Needless to say, the desk clerk didn't acknowledge my Choice Hotels membership (they're supposed to do that). There was only one electrical outlet available in the room (until I moved the coffee maker -- which didn't work -- to the bathroom). In other words, it was headed for a one star rating.

Then things started to turn around. Everyone else on the staff with whom I had any contact at all was not just friendly and helpful, they were VERY friendly and helpful. There was a second sink in the room (helpful when I had to move the coffee maker there to free up an outlet). The beds were extra long. In addition to the usual styrofoam coffee cups, there were ceramic coffee mugs. There was already a non-slip bath mat in the tub, so we didn't have to deploy the one we carry on trips. There were plenty of luggage trollies, even with two tour buses checking out at the same time we were. The location is about as good as you can get with respect to Colonial Williamsburg without staying in one of the lodging facilities owned by Colonial Williamsburg. The room was quiet.

But the real high point of this stay was the staff (minus the surly desk clerk encountered at check in). Both in the hotel and in the attached restaurant, they were absolutely super -- upbeat, happy, helpful. Because the staff was so nice, it pains me to just give the place three stars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks you for your review. I noticed you are a senior contributor and detail comments mean a lot coming from a seasoned traveler. We try hard and I have one of the best staffs in town. I am glad the people made your visit a great one. I will work on the details you noted needing my attention and will ensure we move in the right direction to make your next visit even better.
Again thank you for the time and helpful hints.
Thanks
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

This hotel is in a great location. Less than a 10 minute walk to the center of historic Williamsburg. We were on a group tour and stayed 6 nights. The room was clean but the beds could of been firmer. Our bureau was broken, the carpets were worn. We had trouble with the safety lock that ended in locking us out of the room. The normal electronic locks were tricky to use. The staff was very helpful. AAA gives this hotel 3 stars. Based on my experience it should have two stars. The hotel could use remodeling. On balance, the closeness to Williamsburg outweighs the weaknesses with the room. For a visit to Williamsburg I would stay there again. I was very satisfied with the attached restaurant. The meeting spaces were comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your recent visit - I am sorry about the new locks - they are a new and different product. They no longer require swiping but require just touch the key directly to the door. I am glad you liked the room and the location. We have plans to remodel in the near future. Lok forward to your visit again.
Thanks
WNY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

While the outside and restaurant and lobby look decent, The rooms were a different story. My wife and I have never stayed in a Clarion before and will never again. If it was for more then one night we would have left. The rugs were stained, the floor was dirty in the bathroom and the worst part is the fridge had hair in it. The location is great and close to Richmond Ave which seems to have everything in Williamsburg,VA

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
I am sorry for your problems during stay - I have been in the room in question and we have had carpets cleaned along with additional detail cleaning of the room. If you try us again please have the front desk contact the General Manager directly so I can ensure a great stay.
Thx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

While in a convenient location, this hotel did not live up to its purported star level. The wi-fi took many attempts to access and then was slow and kicked me off. The first floor smelled of chlorine. There was a leak in the ceiling of the restaurant. Though our room was clean, we spotted a few roaches in the bathroom. And several pieces of equipment in the exercise room were not functional. Not awful, but not great...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
nchalkley, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Historic District, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
I am sorry for the visit. We have had several internet problems mostly due to streamers (guest watching movies on internet). We have recently added a device to regulate band-with and our system is performing well. The pool is located on the ground floor and we have added exhaust fans to the pool room to help control any oders reaching the Holet rooms - thanks you for the heads up with the smell. I am disgusted that you saw roach and have had the room exterminated along with the two adjoining rooms to ensure that we have eliminated the problem.. With so much traffic they do appear from time to time and we act immediatly to get rid of them. If you return please contact me directly, Neal, and I will ensure a great stay at a great price.
Marlton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

It was in my opinion walking if not biking distant from the village. Next time we go down there we must definitely bring our bikes. The hotel was clean and we had no issues except that the TV was a bit old and on its way out. The TV made a noise after being on for a bit. I told the front desk about it on my way out.
We didn’t use the pool, but would have liked too, although it did seem to have a little too much chlorine in it. When we walked into the pool to look at it the smell kind of irritated our eyes a bit. That could have been because the pool was enclosed in glass panels, but the pool overall was clean and pretty decent sized.
I had seen other reviews about the train that passes by periodically, and I would say that coming from NY it didn’t bother me so much but I can see how it would to others, but it’s a quick train so it’s not like the train from the movie “My Cousin Vinny” . If you’re a lite sleeper I would make sure you request a room on the front side of the hotel.
The hotel has a restaurant connected to it and it was a good place to get a bite to eat and fairly cheap in my opinion. My family and I have an annual pass to Colonial Williamsburg and are planning on going back and we would definitely stay there again if it’s available.

Room Tip: Due to the train at night I would suggest getting a room either on the side or towards the front of...