“Good business facilities, close to Historic part of Williamsburg.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Williamsburg Hospitality House

Save Saved
You added Williamsburg Hospitality House to your Saves list
Williamsburg Hospitality House
415 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185-3536   |
Ranked #46 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Edmonton, Canada
“Good business facilities, close to Historic part of Williamsburg.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

First the good: This hotel is just a couple blocks from the historic downtown core of Williamsburg and right across the street from "William & Mary" university. Great location. I was part of a conference that used meeting rooms. The meeting rooms were great, with all the facilities we needed. Spacious Lobby and a great all you could breakfast buffet for a reasonable price. The parking was great in underground garages. Grounds were well kept. Staff were friendly and efficient.

The not so good: The room was really a disappointment. A very basic room with basic decor. Terrible old school TV with more static than picture. My phone was falling apart and it too was more static than sound. My main concern is that the room was pretty dirty, especially along the baseboards. Carpet was really worn and stained. Bathroom was OK except there was very little hot water... luke warm showers each morning. No fridge in the room.

Rooms need to be upgraded to match the rest of the hotel facilities. Such a historic location, it cries for more historic,interesting decor in the rooms. And for goodness sake clean up around the baseboards.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

321 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
usa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I was here for a conference, which was also held in the hotel - the conference was 3 days. I arrived at the hotel by Amtrak. Unfortunately because the train was about an hour late, there were no taxis at the station to get me to the hotel. Luckily, it is a do-able walk with luggage from the train station to the hotel. The room was comfortable, however the next day the cleaning staff left a message to say that they ran out of towels and would come back to re-stock. While there was a full complement of towels in the bathroom when I arrived back from conference sessions, the coffee supplies were not re-stocked. After the 2nd night the full complement of towels was not available, but the coffee supplies were re-stocked and after the 3rd night ... the coffee supplies were not re-stocked again. Otherwise, the conference site amenities were great. The staff was very helpful. The location of the hotel was very convenient for walking to the historic downtown Williamsburg area, as well as convenient by car to get to historic site around Jamestown.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
gminva, General Manager at Williamsburg Hospitality House, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear kmbcUsa,

Thank you for sharing about your recent stay. I apologize for the oversight on the part of my housekeeping team. While we did talk about this in our morning meeting, it sounds like we have a training opportunity with that particular staff member.
If you have the time I would appreciate knowing your specific stay information so we could effectively follow up with our team member. At your convenience, please call me at 757-229-4020 or email me at sdees@williamsburghosphouse.com with your information.

I appreciate your sharing your experience with me and hope to see you when you are next in Williamsburg.

Easton, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

First off I feel compelled to set the record straight in reference to a recent review written by Bobaloo. I drive an SUV, an Escalade to be exact. (just giving a point of reference in regards to the size of my vehicle b/c it's important) We had absolutely no problems getting in & out of the garage for 3 days. No parking worries for those who drive SUV's, you most certainly can access the garage at the WHH. If by chance you do happen to park on the outside parking lot (directly behind the hotel/garage) you will NOT be walking the length of two football fields, trust me. "Easily 250 yards". Wow Bob, that 's one huge parking lot. They should be so lucky to own a lot that size. That would be a true money maker w/ the college right there, can you imagine? The outside parking lot CAN NOT be any longer than 35-40 yards at best. "The only hotel access was in the front". That's baffling to me & it's not true at all. You DO NOT have to walk all the way around the entire building, if you park in the lot or in the garage, to gain entrance/access the hotel. There are entrances right inside the garage. If you park in the lot simply walk through the garage, go to the elevators, then take the elevator to your designated floor/area.

That reminds me. We parked, momentarily, by the front entrance of the hotel to check in when we first arrived. That's what we usually do. After our brief check in we went outside to park our SUV for the day & the doorman was the one who told us to park the Escalade INSIDE the garage. (mind you we had to drive around the back to find the proper entrance, which the doorman clearly & thoroughly explained to us)

As to the another recent review that said "we asked where to park. The directions were so vague that we eventually gave up and parked a long distance away". All you have to do is drive around the one side of the hotel toward the back, you can only go in one direction, then read the signs. Obviously there is no parking in front of the hotel b/c there is a road there so use a little common sense & pull around back like you would at any other place.

We got an incredible deal on Travelzoo. 2 nights w/ a $70 dining voucher, for either restaurant on site, for a grand total of $135. Well worth every single penny. This was a mini get away from the house, job, kids, dogs trip. We actually stayed here on Labor Day for 2 nights. (Mon-Wed) We spent two nights in Richmond prior to this trip so were already in relaxation mode. My husband & I both thought the hotel was welcoming, inviting & very charming when we initially walked inside. We arrived around 12:30, surprised we checked in so early but unfortunately the maid was still servicing our room, no big deal. (I think we got in the room right around 1:30) We took the opportunity to walk around the property to familiarized ourselves w/ the place.

They have a very nice courtyard just beyond the lobby., another inviting spot to simply relax. One of the main reasons I chose this place, aside from the phenomenal deal, was b/c of their lovely outdoor pool. I love to swim & the pool was extremely adequate, it was on the smaller side but we basically had it all to ourselves for almost 3 days & I really enjoyed myself. The pool towels are located in the outside bathrooms directly next to the pool. (those outside bathrooms are extremely convenient when you are soaking wet) Lots of seating available around the pool, great loungers as well as shaded tables w/ chairs. It's a very tranquil spot indeed.

We had no real issues during our stay. We were on the first floor facing the street, no noise complaints from our neighbors nor form the street itself, very quiet. The size & layout of our room was great, lots of space to move around. Fairly large closet w/ plenty hangers. Our bed & pillows were comfortable. Our sheets were absolutely fine & we had plenty plush towels abound. Lots of hot water along w/ decent water pressure from the shower head. The room was spotless/immaculate upon arrival, no funny smells whatsoever either. The complimentary/free WiFi worked like a charm inside the room. The older model TV didn't bother us one bit. (we didn't visit to watch much TV anyhow but I can see that this may bother some folks in this day & age) Ask for a small frig if you need one, they charge $10 a day, so just send in a request w/ your reservation if need be. When we entered the room I noticed the frig wasn't there so I called the front desk, it was delivered in less than 10 minutes. A long dresser would have been a nice touch since there wasn't much in the way of drawer space. The room certainly had the space for a huge dresser. We had to sinks in the room, one in the bathroom & one on the outside of the bathroom directly across from the closet. No safe in the room so plan accordingly. The furniture fit the feel & style of the hotel, it added character & tied in very well, very complimentary throughout. A little outdated to some but it was just fine for us. Everything was in working order in the room but two things worth improving on are the noise coming from the AC vent in our room. (I think we were in room 126) It had a very loud whistling noise but we sort of got used to it, we had no choice in the matter. Realizing that the building is more than 40 years old I don't see how the second improvement can be corrected. It's impossible w/ out a complete renovation of the bathroom/shower area but here goes. My husband is a little over 6 feet tall & he had to basically shower on his knees. It sounds funny I know but there is hardly any headroom in the shower at all. Tall people will be especially annoyed by this. I even struggled a bit under the shower head & I am only 5'6". Not the end of the world for me but I did feel bad for my husband.

We had dinner at the 415 Grill twice. The food was surprisingly delightful. The servers were very attentive & they had Washington Porter, what else can I say? I was very happy. We didn't try Papillon but we did view the menu & we were able to sneak a peak inside, impressed w/ both.

The area surrounding the hotel is very beautiful so take advantage of it, go for a long walk. Take it all in & enjoy yourself. It's a great place & there are plenty of things to see & do. I highly recommend taking a tour of AleWerks Brewery & also a visit to the Williamsburg Winery. Both were pretty cheap things to do & neither took very long so you had the rest of day to do whatever.

This is a lovely three star hotel but imo it deserves a solid four star rating based on our experience. The ambiance, amenities & the staff are what makes or breaks a hotel & this one far exceeded our expectations. We had a wonderful time but then again we always have a great time when we are away from the kiddos. This was a very nice laid back leisurely trip for us, an unexpected surprise if you will & we will definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear hailtotheredskins,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I have passed your positive commentary to my department heads, and apologize for the shower issue your husband experienced. It is on the radar, so to speak, but due to the arrangements there it's not an easy fix.
I would encourage you to sign up for our newsletter (on our website) so you would be notified about exclusive offers and specials that won't be published anywhere else.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Williamsburg.

Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed at the Hospitality House over Homecoming Weekend. I am not quite sure where to start on this review, so let's begin with arrival. I drive an SUV. The garage was not large enough to accommodate an SUV, so you need to park in the far back parking lot. This makes for quite a trek as the only hotel access was in the front, and the lot is easily a 250 yard walk. Fun in the rain......

Check in was fine, but we almost got lost trying to find our room. We had to walk around the back, and then back toward the front again. There was a hole cut in the ceiling just outside our door. Walking into the room, we immediately noticed that they were using a strong deodorizer, and it really was not a pleasant smell. Furniture was average at best, and they only supplied two pillows on the bed. The TV was and old school 19 inch model.

The bathroom was as small as any I have been in, in any hotel, ever. The door nearly hit the toilet, and if you want to get in the tub/shower, the door has to be closed. There is no fan, so the bathroom steams up, hence the need to keep the door open. The lever on the toilet was broken, so we had to take the top off to flush. Hotel staff corrected that on Saturday, but I don't understand why the housekeeper did not pick up on it. Housekeeping also removed all of our towels on Saturday, and did not replenish them. We called at about 6pm, and had to call a second time before they brought the towels. Towels were not soft, and several should have been replaced.

The mattress was ok. The sheets were not. The bottom sheet could not be secured under the mattress, and kept coming loose. The sheets were old as well, and there was only a comforter on the bed.

Overall, there are far nicer hotels that cost a lot less in Williamsburg. The HH is convenient if you are visiting W&M. If you are staying in the rear or back right of the hotel, be prepared to walk. A lot. For $179 a night, it was very disappointing.

Room Tip: Should you stay here, request a room in the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
gminva, General Manager at Williamsburg Hospitality House, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Bobaloo071,

Thank for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay. Some of what you described (parking lot location, garage heights, building layout and size, bathroom fan and the layout there) is part of having a building that was built 40 years ago.
While we do have updates planned, and have continued to improve the facility itself and the amenities available, we have no plans of altering the physical characteristics of the building. Because of that I'm not sure we could be a better home for you while here in Williamsburg. Regardless, I am still very sorry we left you dissatisfied with our hotel.

I am truly sorry for the housekeeping oversight and have already followed up with the individual who serviced your room. Please accept both mine and the Housekeeping manager's sincere apologies.

I appreciate your thorough feedback, and thank you for taking the time to share it with us.

Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Old hotel in a wonderful location but if it was a mile away it probably wouldn't survive. Hotel is running on a lean staff and needs some money invested in it. The restaurant is not great. The bar serves weak drinks at big city prices. The hotel manager is very friendly and is there all the time. He does the best he can with what he has.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear OCC04,

Thank you for sharing about your recent stay and I am sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations. I have passed along your commentary regarding the Grill to my Food & Beverage Director. While we try to price ourselves appropriately based on both our business mix and the market...it was something we hadn't heard before.

I appreciate the feedback and thank you for taking the time to share it with me.

Arlington, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Nice room but it had two double beds with mattresses uncovered. First time in years that we stayed at a hotel with doubles not queens and where the mattresses were not encased in plastic. My asthma had problems, but I think it was simply an allergy to the dust. The sink area was in a separate room outside the bathroom which I thought was a great set up for a family. The TV was in one of those old fashioned pieces of furniture which fascinated my girls.

The hotel was absolutely beautiful and the staff was pleasant, polite, and clueless.

When we arrived we asked where to park. The directions were so vague that we eventually gave up and parked a long distance away. We found out right before leaving that there were parking garages all the way on the side of the hotel thru a small alleyway. We asked about visiting Colonial Williamsburg ... it was a long but beautiful walk. We found out later that there is a $1 Trolley that picks up directly in front of the hotel.

In the morning there was no hot water, when we asked why not we were told that "it surprised us to". So cold showers but on the good side lots of fun for the kids looking around they were amazed at how different it was than the standard chain hotels we normally stay in.

So overall a beautiful special hotel with some sort of wedding going on the day we visited. But we can't recommend it due to the plumbing problems.

Room Tip: Make sure they have hot water before visiting.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Michele B,

Thank you for sharing about your experience. I apologize for the challenges you had during your stay. I have already shared your feedback regarding our guest services team with them; they are certainly better than clueless and I am sorry you found them as such.

The hot water issue was an aberration; it was caused by a failed piece of equipment that wasn't immediately apparent as the culprit. I am sorry that occurred during your stay.

I appreciate your thoughtful commentary and hope you will give us a chance to warm up your impression of us on a future visit.

Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Location is great, walking distance to Colonial Williamsburg, shopping, and The College of William and Mary. Layout is unusual, as was noted by another review, but we thought it was really interesting. There is a nice restaurant on the main floor, and lots of other choices for dining in the area - whether walking or driving. We had a nice buffet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. We had a basic room (no suite), and found it adequate, comfortable and cozy. I felt that the price was mid-range between the lower priced chains (which we didn't want to chance), and the higher priced specialty hotels and chains. The convenience definitely made the price worthwhile. Parking was on site (under hotel). To access the parking garage, take the driveway on your right as you enter the hotel lot from the street. This driveway curves down and around to the garage entrance. Be cautious as you are entering/exiting, as its difficult to see an oncoming car at the turn. Parking spaces did feel a bit tight when backing out my van, but we did fine. Overall, we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Williamsburg Hospitality House? Share your experiences!