“Why isn't there a zero-star review?” 1 of 5 stars

Williamsburg Outlet Mall Inn
6493 Richmond Rd., Williamsburg, VA 23188   |
Ranked #65 of 78 hotels in Williamsburg
Rapid City, South Dakota
“Why isn't there a zero-star review?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Where to begin. First, I made my booking through a third-party vendor, to save some money. Being a third-party, I was told up front that my booking was non-refundable. Fair enough, I had no plans on canceling my reservation.

My flight was actually into Richmond, at which point I got a rental car and drove down to the hotel. My flight had been delayed due to weather, so I ended up arriving at the hotel at about 1 in the morning. Bleary-eyed and exhausted, I pulled up to the hotel only to find that, lo and behold, the office was closed! Apparently they shut their doors at 10 PM. No indication was given ahead of time that their doors shut early; who knows what they do if someone has an issue arise in the middle of the night - good luck dealing with your issues, see you in the morning!

I walked around the hotel, trying to see if perhaps there was someone just making rounds - no such luck. I got back to the front door and saw a phone number posted there, specifying that those who arrive after 10 PM should give a call. Being the dutiful traveler, I called the number. The phone rang and rang, but I never got an answer. My ultimate solution? Drive around at 1:30 in the morning trying to find a hotel in sleepy Williamsburg.

The next day, I stopped by the hotel to complain and request a refund. The girl working the front desk simply told me that since I made my reservation through a third-party vendor, my refund would have to come from them. I called the third-party vendor and explained the situation, asking for a refund. They said they would take a look at it and get back to me with a resolution.

The day after that, I got their resolution - since I didn't show up, and allegedly didn't call the number on the door (per the hotel manager), I couldn't get a refund. So I called the third-party vendor again, explaining that I did call their number, but that I never got an answer. The third-party vendor simply said that the manager would not authorize a refund, and I would have to take it up with her.

So I called the manager. The manager simply kept repeating that she never got a call, and that it wasn't up to her to give a refund - refunds came from the third-party vendor.

Another call to the third-party vendor, who, after keeping me on hold and talking to the manager directly, told me that she would not authorize a refund, since I was a "no-show" and that "she never received a call."

So what was the ultimate resolution? No refund. Apparently, it's completely legal to accept a reservation, take someone's money, give them zero heads up that they close their front office, not answer their phone, not actually give them a hotel room, and not give them back their money.

STAY AWAY!! THE CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE AND THE MANAGEMENT COMPLETELY UNWILLING TO WORK WITH YOU TO FIX YOUR SITUATION, INSTEAD OF BENDING OVER BACKWARD TO ACCOMODATE YOU!!!

Room Tip: I really can't put into words just how much I recommend NOT STAYING HERE!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Harrisonburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I just returned from a two-night stay at the Williamsburg Outlet Mall Inn. I had read the VERY mixed reviews here and decided to give it a try. I was very, very pleasantly surprised. Sure the exterior of the building could use some upkeep but the rooms were clean and pleasant, the beds comfortable and the staff AMAZING. It was quiet while still being close to all the main attractions. The other 5 folks in my party had a similar experience. The best thing I can say is that I plan to stay here again. Nothing fancy but definitely a great value. I would have rated the service higher but the rating only went to 5.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Williamsburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I read these reviews and I booked this hotel... I arrived and the staff was very nice I will say that but far as the accommodations no where near what these reviews say. I went to the hotel next door the Howard Johnson and the man at check in said people leave there all the time and come to the Howard Johnson. Book the Williamsburg outlet Mall Inn at your own risk. There is not a zero so therefore had to rate a 1

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

While staying at the Williamsburg Outlet Mall Inn I enjoyed a warm friendly atmosphere. Staff was always pleasant and anxious to help at anytime. I found the room to be clean and neat at all times. I will definitely visit again during a future vacation.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the privacy of a south side room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Maurertown, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

My parents live in Williamsburg. We always stay here for Thanksgiving because The staff is so friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious and very very clean. This year we had 36 family members coming to my parents for Thanksgivng and The Inn and the staff were able to accommadate all of us (including my dog). We have been coming here for the last 5 years and will continue to come until my parents no longer host Thanksgiving. We have always enjoyed our stay here!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tiverton, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I first stayed here in 1984 during a quick weekend visit to Williamsburg. A friend recommended it due to it's location close to the Williamsburg Pottery. I have stayed here alone or with my wife about 20 times since because we generally make spring and fall trips to Williamsburg and shop at the Pottery. The motel has gone through a half dozen owners during the past quarter century. The facilities keep looking longer and longer in the tooth and the motel seems to rent by the week or month; this might mean it's now a welfare motel. The current owner has tried to clean up the rooms and get back to where it was in the '80's: full of people with nice clean rooms and good service. I think this has failed. Breakfast has always been sort of skimpy (there is a waffle house located across the parking lot) and the last time I stayed there I went for breakfast at 7 AM because I was leaving and was told by a rather surly employee that breakfast didn't start until 8 AM. Say what?! What happened to 6 AM? So, combining the dirty rooms, the characters who stay by the week/month, the employees, and the late breakfast, I ended a quarter century family tradition and now stay at the nearby Econo Lodge. BTW, rooms used to be under 50 bucks; now they are nearly 60 and nothing else has changed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This facility has seen better days, but the staff tries to be helpful. Our room was clean, and the beds were okay. The fridge in the room allowed us to pack lunches. We were looking for acceptable economy travel and were satisfied.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Williamsburg Outlet Mall Inn? Share your experiences!