“Great stay!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
Waxhaw, United States
“Great stay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We had a great stay at this hotel. Hotel staff were courteous, polite, and very helpful. The only complaint we had about this hotel was the breakfast - the food wasn't the best but if you can get by on cereal and muffins, it wasn't too bad. Our room was large, clean, and comfortable.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Alexis W, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Thank you for your review and we apologize that breakfast wasn't satisfactory. We work hard everyday on all areas of the hotel but especially breakfast. We hope to see you again in the future and we definitely appreciate your business. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Outer Banks, NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This was our third time in 5 years staying here. I am wondering if they are under new management. Other than the very nice gentleman who checked us in, the front desk staff was rude and not helpful at all. I had previously been used to super friendly service.
Overall, you can see they are not putting a great effort into keeping the property up to date or repaired. The room was not clean and very hot. After having the a/c run on 60 for 8 hours, it was still very uncomfortable. When I called to front desk I was told "sorry" and offered nothing more. I asked for a fan, no fan. Asked to move, hotel was booked. I can understand those two things, but basically the attitude of the lady on the phone (wish I had gotten her name) at 10 pm on the night of July 15th was rude and borderline hateful.
The carpet was dirty and there were crumbs along the walls and quite a bit of debris under a/c unit. I noticed that as I was laying there with head hanging off the bed trying to catch a breath of cool air. ;-) Bathroom floor and walls in tub were dirty and the whole place had an unclean old air about it. The sheets were rough as sandpaper. Bed was uncomfortable. Pool area was in great disrepair as was the elevator and outside. Breakfast was not what I remembered and the dining area was not clean, the toaster only worked on one side, all the juices were not available and no fresh fruit. The whole place had a unkempt air about it. Very disappointed as I had previously written a glowing recommendation 3 years ago.
I will comment on the janitorial staff, those guys were great, very helpful and pleasant.

Room Tip: Fourth floor was super noisy and hot.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and we are very sorry we let you down the third time. Please feel free to contact us directly if you decide to return. We sure hope that you do decide to return and Im sure we will do better. Thank you for making us aware of the issues you experienced and once again we are sorry for not exceeding your expectations.
Bill
AGM
757 220-0880
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We had a positive stay at this BW property. Staff were helpful and courteous throughout our visit. It is in a great location near all the major attractions, restaurants and shopping with easy highway access. We felt safe at all times.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for your review, We are very lucky to have such a great location. Being a short drive to all of the Historic Triangles attractions works great. We hope to see you again soon, thank you so much.
Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Checked in late on a Friday night. My wife, four-year-old son and I were given an absolutely disgusting room. Old, stale smelling, dusty walls, mildew in the bathroom. When we pointed this out, we were given a choice of recently upgraded rooms. The new one was acceptable, but the toilet overflowed and by the time we got the mess cleaned up, it was after 2:00 am. Despite a do not disturb sign on the door, we were awakened by a maintenance man knocking in the morning. We left for the day and chatted with the housekeeping staff on the way out. When we returned in the afternoon, the room had not been cleaned and no new towels delivered. When I spoke to Dakota, at the front desk, he was dismissive, belligerent and generally disagreeable. He told me the housekeeping staff had left for the day and there was nothing they could do. When I asked to speak to his manager, he told me the manager was off for the weekend. When I told him I needed to speak to someone who could solve the problem, he told me he would leave a message for the manager, but I probably would not hear from him until the next morning. He also blamed the problem on the housekeeping staff, a team of "Chinese exchange students who don't speak English," he said. The assistant general manager, Bill Saccardi refused to call me back. Dakota at the front desk didn't know the general manager's last name - turns out it is a Lisa Hodges, but he wasn't even able to get in touch with her. Alex, who also works at the front desk was extremely helpful and insisted on cleaning the room himself. When I told Dakota this, he told me Alex was supposed to be stationed at the front desk and "shouldn't be cleaning rooms." At no point, did anyone in a position of authority ever apologize or try to rectify the problem. Additional issues, in the new room, tv reception was terrible and there was still mildew all over the bathroom and A/C is sub par. Best advice, you have choices, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your review. We apologize for the difficulties you experienced during your stay and the mix up with your room. We will use your comments to improve in the future. Once again we apologize and appreciate your review.
Williamstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Everything was above average, price, staff and the room. Breakfast could be a little better, but not enough to complain. The only drawback was no outside pool. Inside pool was very nice however. Had a great time,

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for sharing your experience, sounds like you enjoyed your stay. We work hard everyday to make breakfast an enjoyable part of the hotel, sounds like we may have let you down a little bit but we listen to our reviews. Thanks again for taking the time to post your review.
Rome, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We booked this hotel while touring Williamsburg for two days. My first impression was that this hotel was slightly dated but was staffed with courteous and efficient staff. We were checked in very promptly and arrived in our room on the second floor. The room was of average size, nicely decorated, had almost brand new carpet, a fridge and microwave, and a goodie bag with 2 bottles of water and some snacks. We were pleased with that we were presented. The beds were comfortable, the room was quiet and the air conditioning worked well. One thing I was not happy about was the water pressure. I have never in my life seen such little water pressure in a shower. There was such little water pressure that it took literally 15-20 seconds for the water to come out of the shower head once you lifted the lever. You could hear the water trying to draft up and finally you got a very weak stream of water that barely shot 12-16 inches out of the shower head. It wasn't a huge deal, but when I pay for a hotel room I have certain expectations and a good, hot shower is certainly one of them. I had seen on several reviews that the breakfast buffet was "horrible" and that there wasn't enough room to eat. Well, both mornings we went down and were able to get a table after only a 2-3 minute wait. The buffet wasn't bad either, despite people's reviews. The staff there working the breakfast buffet worked their tails off trying to keep things stocked and cleaned. I can't say anything bad about the breakfast, except that the dining area is a bit small, but hey, its summer vacation time, people seem to make it work. The pool at this hotel was a hit for sure, it was crammed both nights. The water was on the cold side and I have to say that it was one of the dirtier hotels I've seen in a while. The pool seemed cloudy and I saw some dead bugs, hair, and a dirty band aid floating around. The pool area overall seemed very old and worn. It was very dark, dreary, and over all depressing. Several windows were condensated so badly that you couldn't see out them at all and there was a lot of rusted metal from the cholorine. None of these issues are earth shattering, but I didn't enjoy this pool area as much as I have in many other places. I would probably stay here again, I just don't know if I would use the pool area again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Alexis W, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
We cannot thank you enough for the review you posted. We try very hard daily to please everyone in all areas but especially breakfast. We have made some changes when it comes to breakfast so it is very good to hear positive feedback. As for the pool area, thank you for letting us know of the issues, we are currently underway to resolve the window issue.
Thanks again
Bill-AGM
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

We had stayed at this Best Western in December of last year with a group, so we knew we were getting a great room for a great value. In booking, we accidentally made the reservation for a day earlier than we arrived. While checking in with Eve, she found our mistake, checked with someone in the back, and let us have a room for the night at no additional cost. What can you say more? Great service, clean room, good selection at breakfast bar, nice pool, and comfortable bed for the night after a long day at Busch Gardens. Thank you Best Western for saving us in a "senior moment."

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your review, I remember when you checked in and I'm glad we were able to get everything solved. We hope to see you again soon and thank you so much for the review, it is appreciated!
Bill-AGM

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn? Share your experiences!