“Great location but needs work” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #27 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
Portland, Oregon
“Great location but needs work”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed two nights and the rooms were fine but the breakfast area was way too small to accommodate the number of guests. On our second morning they were out of most everything and had to send out for provisions. The eating area should be twice the present size.

The rooms were very nice and the service staff was very attentive to our needs but the eating arrangements at the hotel left us with a bad feeling about the hotel.

Room Tip: I would inquire about the breakfast room arrangements, especially during high-occupancy periods.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Alexis W, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for your response and review of your recent stay. Unfortunately during peak periods we do not have many options for additional seating, it just happens to be the way the building was originally constructed. We are working on some alternatives and apologize for the difficulty but we try our best. Once again thank you for your response

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed for two nights the end of August and the large picture above the bed fell on me for no reason. I had some nice scraps and bruises from it, but nothing serious since it missed my head. When I went to report it to the hotel they didn't even ask if I was ok. They were more concerned with rehanging the picture I think. I told them to leave it down till I was gone. I didn't want to take a chance of it falling on me in the night and doing real harm. I was never offered any form of compensation for my injuries not even a discount or free night. Just a thanks for letting us know. I am tired of corporations not caring about their customers. I will not stay here again. Plus it was not the cleanest of places either.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexis W, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
First of all we would like to apologize for the incident that occured in your room. I assure you that our first concern without a doubt is the guest. An email was sent the same week of the incident with some information, please let us know if this was not received. We value our guest first and foremost, always have always will. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Hounslow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Wow is not enough for this place.
Booked online during my trip for 4 nights got a great price for the days I was going to stay.
Got there great warm welcome at front desk, booked in very fast, got to my room a welcome note great.
Room was so clean and very quiet.
Any questions I had were answered without issue
Breakfast was included eat as much as you like started the day off great
After looking around with what was going on in Williamsburg and surrounding areas, and visiting a few places, there is so much to see historic wise, decided to extend by stay instead of moving on so asked if could get same price on room for extending my stay they said yes so stayed for 8 nights.
Found a great restaurant nearby called Rocco’s .
What a great place to end the day after looking at all the various attractions in the area.
Great food tried getting though the menu too much to do for me, Ribs and steaks were so tasty and big.
Would recommend the Hotel and Rocco’s any time

Room Tip: all rooms appeared to be in quiet parts as hotel is back from any main roads
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for your review and we are more than happy you were able to stay for a week and take in all that our area has to offer. Yes Roccos is fantastic! If over in the US again please stop and see us, take care.
Bill
New Bern Nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We always stay here when we go to Busch garden. Clean,friendly staff, fast check in and out. Only compliant is breakfast area needs to be bigger. We had to sit in lobby to eat but breakfast staff kept coming to ask if she could get us anything. Would recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexis W, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Thank you so much for your response. We are happy to know we are your choice when visiting Williamsburg. Yes the breakfast area can be a challenge and wish we had more space. We hope to see you again soon, thank you again for your business
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Once again we stayed at our favorite hotel in Colonial Williamsburg. We arrived a little early in the afternoon on Friday and the manager was able to get us into our room with only a few minutes wait. Our room was clean and comfortably cool with a few snacks and a welcome note waiting for us. Breakfast here is good and the attendants friendly. After a long day of moving our daughter into her dorm we found our hotel room clean and a note from housekeeping asking us to let them know if we needed anything and wishing us a relaxing stay. We always enjoy staying here as we know that we can count on a clean room, friendly staff and a satisfying breakfast. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any room on the 2nd floor facing the pool is very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Alexis W, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you, always good to hear we are making people happy and we make your visit to Williamsburg feel like home. Come back soon!
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I've stayed at the BW Historic Area Inn many times, and have always been pleased. Rooms are fine, breakfast is well above BW average and staff is helpful.

I was particularly impressed during my last visit, when I was installing my son as a freshman at William & Mary. While I was doing this, Tropical Storm/Isaac was heading towards my home in Tampa (possibly...) and I kept dropping by the desk and changing my departure time. The staff was unbelieveably accomodating--offering me the option of very late checkout (9 PM was mentioned) and then accomodating my early departure. I appreciated that service more than I can say!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your response and we are glad we could make your stay a little more relaxing. Come back and see us
Kaneohe, Hawaii
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Just returned from a weeklong business trip. I had booked through Hotwire. This was the first time I've used one of those sites where you don't know the hotel until you pay. The promise to save 40% was not even close. I think I saved $5 a night versus booking it directly. I think in the future I will always book direct.

The front desk staff were all very pleasant in all my interactions. The room was always cleaned well. The only complaint I can think of is that the area near the elevators and the elevators themselves often had water on the floor from guests using the pool. Though I attribute the mess to other guests, it'd be nice if the hotel recognized this was happening and more routinely mopped the area. The elevators also were generally musty/humid as a result.

Overall the experience was very nice. The hotel itself is situated in a quiet area but very close to highway access as well as many dining and shopping choices.

Nothing stood out as putting the experience over the top, but it was a really solid stay. The beds were comfortable, the AC/heater worked great, the shower was hot. Breakfast is included but unfortunately I had to be out the door prior to them serving, so I don't know how it was.

I've also stayed at the Country Inn & Suites. The stays were comparable but Best Western was cheaper. Country Inn did have more on site things to do, but it wouldn't make up for the price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Alexis W, Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for your response regarding your stay with us. Our busy season is a challenge and we try our best to keep up, good to know we made your stay an enjoyable one, thank you!

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn? Share your experiences!