“Reliable choice in a sea of possibilities” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #26 of 79 Hotels in Williamsburg
New York
“Reliable choice in a sea of possibilities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Williamsburg is brimming with cookie cutter chain hotels and this Best Western is a good choice among them.

We stayed there for 4 nights while we visited Busch Gardens and Colonial Willamsburg. Our room was clean and updated and despite being on the first floor, was not particularly noisy. People at the front desk were efficient and friendly and just a tad stretched thin. Public spaces were also clean and well maintained.

A few cons, however. We were unable to access the wireless service which must be an ongoing issue as they give you the number for tech support when they give you the password. As a result, I used the computer in the business center. A few days later I noticed my email had been hacked...this was the only public computer I was on. While I can't say for sure there was malware on the computer quietly collecting log in info, it sure seems like more than a coincidence.

For those interested in exercise rooms/workout equipment, you should also look elsewhere. Both treadmills were broken, the exercise bike's seat was falling off, and the stair stepper squeaked terribly. Probably not a big concern for most guests. You're going to spend the days walking anyway.

Didn't use the pool at all as it was always packed, but considering how popular it was, I'd say it was fine.

Restaurants are plentiful in the area...pretty much anything you can imagine. Continental breakfast served at the hotel is adequate. If you like waffles, you can make your own tasty ones. A few generic cereals, breads, oatmeal and hard boiled eggs round out the choices.

All in all, we were happy. Suited our needs for a clean, comfortable place to spend the night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
bwha47138, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
I would like to thank you and your family for staying with us. Thank you for your comments as this helps us to improve where needed. Because of guest like you we work extra hard to make sure your vacation is a memorable one. We do hope to see you and your family again in the near future. So on behalf of the Best Western Plus Historic Area Staff we would like to say Thank you.

757-220-0880

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed with our 2 grandchildren 3 and 6. I got an excellent price on Orbitz (for some reason the other sites were much higher at the time.) Average of $86/night. That included taxes and fees. We had a room with king bed and sofabed. Spotlessly clean. Frig and microwave in room. Nice breakfast included. There is an indoor pool which our grandkids enjoyed. Lots of other children enjoying also. Chlorine a bit strong as enclosed area. Pool towels supplied
Very friendly staff. A very good value so close to historic Williamsburg. Wireless internet worked very well.

Room Tip: Compare shop with Orbitz as they offered a much lower price for some reason. Use Trip Advisor to com...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
I would like to thank you so much for your response. We are so glad that we were able to make your vacation a great one. We do hope to see you in the near future. On behalf of the staff at Best Western Plus Historic Area thank you.

Best Western plus Historic Area
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011

This was an inexpensive hotel, and we got less then we paid for. The room was adequate although dated, and the plumbing and air conditioning worked. After the second day, the free internet stopped working. My husband complained, and they said they would fix it, but never did. Furthermore, every two days, both of our key cards failed - and we did not have them next to anti-magnetic items. This was very inconvenient, especially since we were on the 4th floor, and the first few days, only one of the 2 elevators was working, so it took forever to get up and down each time. The second time this happened, we asked to speak to the manager. She was the only staff member who apologized, and she wisely gave us a refund of a little less than one night's stay. But it just happened again two days later. The free breakfast was the most unappetizing, except for the waffles. Among the offerings, were white bread, bagels and plain, flavorless donut holes, all of which were still cold from the freezer, every morning. The fresh fruit was a bowl of apples. There were hard-boiled eggs, cereal, beverages, and a few other standard items. It was unchanged every day for the week we were there. We ate breakfast out a few times. The first morning, I used one of the toasters, and it only toasted one side of each slice. I mentioned it to the attendent, and he just said to put them back in the other direction - as though that was normal. The next day I used the other toaster, and it worked fine. This represents the lack of concern with the guests that most of the staff demonstrated. Of more concern was the fact that the back entrance had a key card device, but it was unlocked all day. This is usual practise in many hotels, but unlike other hotels, in this one neither the pool nor the computer room required a key to get in, so someone could walk in the back door and go straight into the pool area- not what you want if you are sending your children down there alone. I pointed this out to the manager, and she said she would "consider" it. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
bwha47138, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, July 26, 2011
To whom it may concern;
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced during you stay with the breakfast area and for the internet service and your key cards. As some of these thing that may have occurred are uncontrollable.
At Best Western Plus Historic Area, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectation. We do hope you give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again. Please accept our sincere apologies.
We Hope that you give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again.

201 Bypass Rd
Williamsburg VA 23185
757-941-2060
Glendale, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2011 via mobile

I'll start with the positives (because it's a shorter list): Comfortable beds, decent shower, AC works great, wi-fi works without password, big in-room fridge, and rooms are clean. But, the two main reasons I booked this hotel as opposed one of the many others in the area are the exercise room with elliptical and the free breakfast. Fitness room looks like it has received no attention in years. Elliptical pedal is loose and squeeks, rust is all over, and the room has a low ceiling so my husband has to keep his head down or he'll bump his head while using. Stationary bike seat is broken. As for the breakfast, the room is tiny and extremely crowded, and the items are as follows: bread, plain bagels, plain donut holes, hard boiled eggs, cold cereal, bananas, apples, and two messy waffle makers. That's it, so any money we saved on the room was spent by going out for a decent breakfast on two mornings. Other negatives are old, outdated interior, no ice machine on 1st floor (where we were), housekeeping not leaving enough towels for # of people in room (had to call on two days to request more), single serve coffee pot, not even enough for two, and other annoyances but I'll stop here. Ultimately, you get what you pay for, and if we return to this area, we'll pay more to get more. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. As it is our goal to make sure our guest leave here with a smile. I will pass the information to the proper departments. I do hope you come and visit us again. If there is anything I can do please feel free to call.

Your in service
amaldonado@carltonhospitality,com
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Front desk staff was okay. Room was clean, although it looked like someone tried to break the lock on the adjoining room door. The bathroom had a nice vanity, but lacked hooks to hang anything... such as wet bathing suits from the pool or wet towels, robe, etc. We were only given two towels, so I had to get extra towels and pillow for the pull out sofa right away.

Elevator was extremely hot and pool area was dreadfully hot.... no air circulation. In desperate need of ventilation or fans. I went to sit with my kids and not actually swim and I was very uncomfortable. This would probably only be an issue on very hot days. The pool itself was nice.

From reading the other reviews, I did not even attempt the breakfast, especially knowing that the pool was completely booked. The Cracker Barrell across the street had a great breakfast.

The TV was old and didn't get very good reception.

I would tell anyone not to go there, but probably wouldn't give rave reviews. If you can get a good deal then go, but don't overpay because it is not worth it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
bwha47138, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2011
To whom it may concern;
Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you may have experienced during you stay.
At Best Western Plus Historic Area, we take pride in ensuring our customer’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectation. We deeply value your relationship with Best Western Plus Historic Area and are committed to providing you with the highest level of service simply because our customers deserve the very best. If you have any further questions or comments regarding this matter, please feel free to discuss it with us.
We Hope that you give us the opportunity to serve you and your family again.

201 Bypass Rd
Williamsburg VA 23185
757-941-2060(Fax)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011 via mobile

We had a great stay!! The room was very clean decent sized but it was hot! We kept cutting the air down until it was as low as it could go yet we were still hot. I called the front desk and tgs lady was very nice and offered us another room but It was 2am so we didn't bother

The breakfast area was way too small!!! We had to stand around for a while with our food in our hands until someone got up! Overall though a nice stay! Lots of restaurants near the hotel as well! Would definitely go back!

• Stayed July 2011
bwha47138, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn, responded to this review, July 15, 2011
I do apologize for the inconvenience of the a/c in the room. As some of these things are out of our control. As far as the breakfast area we are in the process of expanding it and upgrading the breakfast menu. With that being said I hope you come back so we may have the opportunity to serve you and your family again.

Outer Banks, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Booked this trip through Williamsburg Vacations and was a little leary of what I would encounter due to package plan mishaps in the past with other vacations I have taken. There was no need to worry. Front desk staff is awesome! (as my son would say) and really went out of their way to help me with some special needs I had. Rooms were clean and beds were comfy. Air conditioning worked great and room was cool when we walked in. We also enjoyed the pool while taking a break from the heat after a day at Busch Gardens.

The breakfast is free so you really have to be a dolt to complain much about it, they could use a little better organization and flow, although their space is limited. Good variety including fresh cooked waffles made this a better than usual continental breakfast. Of course Cracker Barrell is right across the street if you are really hungry.

Decided to stay an extra night and no problems, didn't even make me move rooms which I have had to do at other hotels when adding nights. And again, the staff was accomodating and pleasant, truly the most friendly staff I have encountered in a very long time.

Maid service could use a little work, they seemed disorganized. I left room to give them time to clean and over an hour later, only the towels and trash had been taken out. It appeared they were doing the whole hall, a task at a time. Should just take it a room at a time for those folks who want to come back to their room after breakfast. I had left my newspaper on the bed and couldn't find it when I came back, found it later that night made up in the bed under the covers! Counters in bathroom not wiped off, still had my son's toothpaste on it. Loved the fridge, microwave and coffee maker in room. If I was them I would upgrade the coffee makers a bit, to at least a small 2-4 cup maker.

Again, can't say enough about staff and I will not only recommend but come back again next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
After all of that all I can say is Thank you so much!!!!! We are looking forward to seeing you and your family again.

Best Western Plus Historic Area

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Historic Area Inn? Share your experiences!