“OK with a few hiccups” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cascades Motel

Cascades Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Williamsburg
Cascades Motel
Save Saved
You added Cascades Motel to your Saves list
102 Visitor Center Drive, Williamsburg, VA 23185   |
Ranked #46 of 78 Hotels in Williamsburg
Virginia
“OK with a few hiccups”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I am hesitant to say anything negative about a property that allows dogs since they are so few and far between. We brought our golden retriever with us and this motel does not charge extra for pets!

As other reviewers have stated, this is an old property. From the outside my husband (retired military) said it reminded him of billeting. However it is surrounded by woods which is nice and plenty of places to walk your dog. Our room was plain but fine. We asked for and got a corner room which is bigger. Nice floor to ceiling windows let in lots of light. We also had a sofa and small table and chairs in our 2 queen room. So with our larger dog and 2 small kids we were not cramped. It was quiet and the AC worked great.

Our only issue was we had asked in our reservation for early check in. We arrived 2 hours before check in time and room wasn't ready. OK that is fine. So I asked front desk if he could find out approx. how long it would be. He just said 4PM and that housekeeping was working as fast as possible. No attempt to contact housekeeping on the radio to even find out for me. Kids and husband changed and went to the Woodlands pool next to the Cascades. I had to wait in the car with the dog with the AC on. After an hour plus, I saw a housekeeper and asked if she knew about how much longer for the room to be ready. She said it was the first room she had done that day! So much back and forth on my cell with VERY unhelpful front desk staff member who kept insisting room wasn't cleaned and not inspected yet and that no he wouldn't be finding out for me from the inspector person when it would be." You have to wait until 4...nothing is promised until 4. " Finally we got the OK to move in from housekeeping. Head back to front desk over at Woodlands to get keys only to be told room was STILL not ready according to their computer system. At this time it is past the golden and sacred hour of 4PM! UGH! So hot and frustrating and now have dripping wet and whining kids to shuttle back and forth between properties trying to get the keys. After all of this, first thing I see in the bathroom is a dirty used cotton ball in the middle of the floor. So much for the housekeeping inspection! Other than that, the room seemed clean enough. There was obviously some sort of disconnect between the front desk and the housekeeping staff and the updating of the computers as to what rooms are ready.

Also in my phone reservation I had asked for a fridge in the room. When I checked in I asked again about the fridge and was assured it would be in the room. We got to the room and of course, no fridge. However it was quickly brought over when I called to ask.

Someone credited us $30 for the mix ups at check in (we didn't ask) so that was a nice surprise. They also allowed us to check out 2 hours late so kids could enjoy the pool in the morning which we also appreciated.

We did bring our regular Target hair dryer with normal power/wattage and it blew out the bathroom circuit in the morning. (a motel hairdryer is supplied in the large armoire) It didn't take long to get the power back on after we called the front desk though.

You do get a free breakfast which is shared space with the Woodlands hotel guests. I did not go but my husband says it was jam packed with people. There is a playground and putt putt golf as well as the Woodlands pool to enjoy. It is within walking distance to the big Visitors Center and to the buses going to the colonial area as well as Busch Gardens.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room. Larger size and nice windows
Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Bluffton, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Quaint and Quiet

First of all, if you are looking for "Hilton" amenities keep looking. If you are looking for peace and quiet look no further.
The Cascades is an annex of the Woodlands which is located on the Grounds of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation "compound". It's a small motor-court style motel that was built in the 1950's that is usually used for overflow when the Woodlands is full. It's located in a quiet wooded area on the back of the property.
Most of the rooms are "smaller" but not dinky. If you ask for a corner room you will get a larger room with a sitting area. Usually they assign the corner rooms first. And if you still need more room just book two rooms because most of them join together, and they are so wonderfully priced that getting two rooms won't be a stretch.
What the Cascades doesn't have: WiFi (a five minute walk to the nicely appointed lobby will solve this), refrigerators (if you ask for one they will bring one to your room), microwaves, coffee makers (again....five min walk to the lobby), Wall mounted hair dryers (Some folks apparently can't live without this).
Otherwise the rooms are super clean and decorated nicely. The customer service is fabulous and they are quick to remedy any problem you have. The only problem we had was that the washing machine ate our quarters but they refunded our $2.00 promptly.
Another awesome amenity was the FREE HOT breakfast!
Usually its not even worth milling around to wait in line for a free breakfast, but here the breakfast is in the conference center (five min walk) so it's large enough for hundreds of guests. They have several buffet lines and at least 6 employees refilling and sprucing up after guests so you never have to wait around for more coffee or more scrambled eggs. Another thing that impressed me.... FOUR WAFFLE IRONS! Not only were there four waffle irons.... There was FRESH whipped cream, blueberries, strawberries and chocolate syrup to put on your waffle.... Did I mention the FRESH WHIPPED CREAM?
Overall our $68 (w/AAA discount. $80 without) a night at the Cascades was the find of a century! We were getting ready to plunk down $120 a night at the Holiday Inn. The only way we knew about the Cascades was because we saw it on the way out after a stop at the Williamsburg Visitors Center. We decided to go in to the Woodlands to see if they had any rooms available here and we were glad we did because I had checked online for prices at the "official" Colonial Williamsburg hotels but the prices were much higher. So my suggestion, if you want to stay in any of the Williamsburg Foundation hotels, is to call (on the telephone) to reserve them. Because the prices online are 100% higher than if you call or physically go in.
One last thing... The little shampoos and soaps they have in the rooms are THE BEST! They are from "The Spa" at colonial Williamsburg and will rival any found at the Hilton or Four Seasons! Especially the soap, it was a lovely oatmeal "French milled" type of fancy soap.... Totally awesome!

• Stayed July 2013
Pikeville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

For all intents and purposes, this is the Cascades Motel "section" of the Williamsburg Woodlands Hotel & Conference Center. These remaining single story units were once part of a now-defunct Colonial Williamsburg-owned property called the Motor House, which opened in 1957. These rooms are certainly not new, but they have a unique charm all their own. They are very clean with knotty pine paneling, plaid bedspreads, bay windows and are very spacious. The bathrooms are original but well-maintained and replete with deluxe toiletries. All the amenities are here--clock radios, iron and ironing board, hair dryer, etc. All in all, these rooms are a great value and all the amenities of the Woodlands are included. It was a wonderful experience and I would stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Goffstown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Have been coming to Williamsburg for more than 50 years as both a child, young adult and now as an older adult. If you have a pet as we do then there is no better place to stay then the Cascades Motel at the Visitor Center. It is quiet, priced right and the rooms are clean. The service is always great. We love it there!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

Wow, I can't believe that I stayed in the same place described by these other reviews. They make the Cascades sound so nice and quaint, but doesn't come close to our experience. We opened the door for the first time and smelled how musty the room was. I always bring Febreeze and put it to use right away. The beds were hard as rocks. We had reserved a room with one king bed and got a room with two double beds. The air conditioner cooled the room very well but sounded like a freight train every time it kicked on, especially during the night. The bathroom was in desparate need of an update. A hairdryer was provided but it was the wall mounted version, only it wasn't mounted on wall. It was stored in the closet. I had to lay it in the bathroom sink as the only plug was directly above the sink and there was no place to set it down. The separate faucets in the shower gave no direction of the correct way to turn the water on/off, which meant if you turned the hot water in the wrong direction you risked scalding yourself. I cannot complain about dust but the tv remote was filthy with grime from many past users. The continental breakfast was ok but there wasn't enough seating for the amount of guests. Sometimes the wait for an empty table was extensive. On the upside there was plenty of storage for clothes and suitcases. The location was central to attractions and the bus shuttle was very good. In closing I would say that the Cascades was not a good value. There are so many discount hotel chains located in the immediate vacinity that would have been a better choice for the same price.

Room Tip: Make your reservation for one of the more modern buildings of the Woodlands which is on the same gro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there for 4 nights had a great time. We stayed in a corner unit with two kids and a dog. It might not have been the Hilton but it was great for us since we had the dog. The second day we were there the toilet leaked water and the weather was so bad the power was out all over for a few hours. Called front desk they were going to move us over to the Woodlands only because we had a small dog. I really did want to move everything so I asked for a free night and they were happy to take care us. I don't think the Hilton would do that. Well the family has decided to stay there next year can't wait.

Stayed July 2012
DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

If you are looking for a low priced place and don't need lots of frills this is the place. Not perfect though! The place is pet friendly and although we didn't have a dog for a neighbor, some of the other units had barking dogs so I pity anyone trying to sleep next to them. It rained a lot when we were there and when we returned from a day at Busch Gardens, water was leaking on our kids bed from the ceiling! Management switched us easily to another room...so no harm no foul. The beds are FIRM but I LIKE that!! No Wi-Fi and no flat screen TV. However, if you are just there to spend the night it is good. Good breakfast too. Yes, I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Request one not next to a dog.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Cascades Motel? Share your experiences!