“afton inn” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Inn at Afton

The Inn at Afton
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waynesboro
The Inn at Afton
You added The Inn at Afton to your Saves list
Junction of I-64 and U.S. 250, Exit 99 off Interstate, Waynesboro, VA 22980   |
Ranked #6 of 6 Waynesboro B&B and Inns
virginia beach
“afton inn”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

terrible.. disgusting , dirty..we were there this week.. and the guy in charge wouldnt even look at me.. he must have been imbarrassed.. the room were disgustingly dirty. glass was broken in the windows. part of the ceiling had come down in the rooms and were on the floor.. the windows were filthy.. the beds were disgusting. they were all stained and old.. it was worse than the bates motel cause the bates motel was at least clean. I would say never ever ever to go there for lodging .. you are better off sleeping on the side of the road.. this way you dont get any bugs or broken glass on you.. we use to go this hotel 20 yrs ago and it was okay.. there was a cat litter box at the bottom of the stairs and I thought that was odd.. the restaurant was open and the food was delicious.. but i had a feeling if things were not taken care of it could go down hill.. and it did.. if someone would just buy out the whole place and turn it around it would be fantastid!! but in the mean time.. dont got there..

Room Tip: dont go to any of the rooms. dont book with afton in. cuase you may get bed bugs or worse
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

If you are with your buddies going fishing, hunting, or riding the Parkway on motorcycles this is the place you want to stay. They are dog (or pet) friendly. I would guess the owners don't invest enough to make it a pristene palace but I had everything I needed for a comfortable stay. I wish I could have tried the food but I was unaware they had a restuarant. I had to go a few miles away to get food. I would suggest the OutBack Steak House. It seems they are renting some of the rooms to the locals (probably on a weekly or monthly basis) but everyone I saw was friendly. I wish the pool had been open but it was too early in the year (late May). If your girlfriend or wife is high maintenance don't bring her here. She won't like the rough edges and could ruin the trip for you and others tring to enjoy the experience. I plan to go back as soon as I can. Wonderful view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Chesapeake, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

Now, let me start by saying I've never stayed here, I've never made reservations and had to ask for a refund. I just remember driving onto the property to look at the place before I continued on to the Blue Ridge Parkway back in the Spring two or three years ago. I did stop and stand at the RUSTY guard rail to take a few pictures of the beautiful view for a few minutes.

One of the things that stood out when I first entered the parking lot was a broken window with the curtain blowing through it. That was odd. Because of that, I thought the place must have been closed down, it looked that bad, but I did see a few cars there. I MAY have seen the Afton Inn sign in the hotel parking lot (in that website picture) back then. Just the outward appearance of this place was a turn-off enough to never want to stay here.

Today, on my way back east on 64 from West Virginia, I thought I'd jump off the interstate and see what had changed with the hotel. Well, I couldn't even remember the name of the hotel. I just remember the orange-roofed building below AND the famous rusty water tower. I drove past that Afton Inn sign located at ground level with the peeling orange lettering and guessed that might be the name of the hotel up there. When I got into the parking lot I could see NO sign identifying the hotel. Just a lit "Open" sign hanging in the window of the entrance. I saw maybe 8 cars in the parking lot. One positive -- looks like the window with the blowing curtain got fixed.

As I was leaving the parking lot, I looked to the left and saw one car parked in that row of spaces. Then I noticed a brown oil drum (like the one you might have had behind your house for heating oil with a wire attached to it that appeared to be connected to the building) in one of the parking spaces. What the heck is that for?

Who stays here??? Transients? When I read reviews of how bad the rooms were, I couldn't believe anyone would DARE eat food prepared here or drink the water.

I agree with other posters that this is a BEAUTIFUL location for a new hotel. I would normally never wish for a hurricane to hit a structure, but this may be the exception, and that is ONLY after it is closed down and there are no lives in danger. Mary and Joseph probably had better accomodations than this place provides. They would have been grateful there was no room at THIS inn! Seriously, if they tore down the hotel and made the property a campground, that would be an improvement.

It would be a beautiful thing to see this dump gone one day and some bright, shiny, new structure in its place. And what's with those hideous buildings down below? This is a chunk of real estate with so much potential, it isn't funny. If I'm on this stretch of 64 again, I'll have to stop in just to see if one day that bright shiny place has become a reality. I probably won't be able to afford to stay there, but it'll still be comforting to know that this spot is no longer an eyesore at the intersection of The Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. That it has been allowed to exist this long is a real shame.

Room Tip: Wait until this building is demolished, and a new hotel takes its place. When that happens, all the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I normaly would like to leave positive comments about the nice stay that I had at a hotel, but this is the complete opposite. This hotel in my mind should shut down or imploded. There wer broken windows that were repaired by putting a piece of glass over it. There were no towels ot toilet paper in the room, then when I got towels there were holes in them. The room was beyond filthy. We got to the room the lid was off the toilet tank so I flushed to see if it was working and it over flowed onto the floor. The woman at the front desk gave us keys to 2 other rooms where one wasn't any better but I looked at it my wife stayed with our friends by the motorcycles while I went to check it out because she was so appalled and wanted nothing to do with this hotel at all. The tub was moldy and filthy broken tiles in the tub. The bathroom door was nasty dirty. The carpet was tore up, holes all over it and filthy. The plugs were nasty and covered in something I am not even sure what it was. The wall paper was falling off the walls. The mirror was so filthy smeared we had to clean it outselves. If there was somewhere else for my wife, my friends and myself to go we would have but it was late and we were on motorcycles and all the other hotel/motels were completely book due to some event going on I think they said it was parent visitation with their kids in college this place was close to Skyline Drive and in which was our plan for the day we would drive Skyline Drive and stay the night somewhere if it was to late or got to cold because we live in Baltimore Md. It was so bad that my wife, our friends and I went to Walmart got air freshiners and cleaning wipes because we were afraid to touch anything and got blankets to put on the bed before we would even think of sleeping on it. All 4 of us slept in our clothes and top of the bed on top of the balkets we purchased. I would like a complete refund for the night for both rooms that we had to be stuck in what my wife called "Motel Hell". My wife has taken pictures of the rooms that we were in and has already posted them on Facebook for others to see the condition of this hotel. I knew that it was going to be a bad experience when the woman at the desk wanted us to look at the rooms first. I would like someone to please contact me or my wife as soon as possiable. This was the worst get away we have ever had!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Do not get a room here there are no good rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Richmond, Virginia, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We were stuck here for one night when the campground at Shenandoah was full. It's definitely shabby and is like the documentary "Life After People" when humanity dies and nature takes over. We made the best of it and took our shabby broken chairs outside on the balcony and watched the beautiful mountains, birds, traffic on the interstate, and autumn foliage. We hung out until the next morning when we departed for the national park. It is, indeed, a pretty shabby decrepit building for sure but our room was clean, the grounds were well-kept, and everything that should have worked worked. We likened this place to the Bates Motel for sure, but, hey, life is an adventure and our long weekend was more memorable for having stayed in this weird place!!! We lived and enjoyed to tell our tale!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Arcadia, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

This was at one time a beautiful resort style hotel. Now thirty years later it has nasty smelly carpet, old broken furnature and fixtures, broken unpainted sidewalk and walls. There is a homeless camp living there that trades small "repairs" for room and board. I can not express how filthy and bug infested it was in words. HORRIBLE!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

Wish I had stuck to my first impression of this place. The motel sign was busted. the concrete was cracking but we decided to give it a chance. The room was dirty. The ceiling was cracking and water damaged as well as the pictures on the wall. We couldn't rest due to some man using a sander. The staff was rude and unfriendly. What really put the icing on the cake was when some bald guy tried to enter our room with the master key, with us in the room!. The only thing That stopped him was the chain lock on the door! We had had enough and went to ask for a refund the owner of the place said "no way". We also asked about the bald guy trying to enter the room and the owner said "That was me, I was just going to check the room." YEAH RIGHT! he was going to see if there was anything he could take. The olnly satisfaction we got was telling them what a disgusting dump the place was and that we would never return. Nasty, disgusting and creepy, like the bates motel in the movie Psyco. Please don't stay here. Nasty !

• Stayed July 2011

Been to The Inn at Afton? Share your experiences!