“One of our favorites!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 5 Attractions in Waterford
Type: Wineries
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: 8 Chains North is a family-owned and -operated farm winery located in the town of Waterford in picturesque Loudoun County, Virginia. Owner and winemaker Ben Renshaw's careful attention to viticulture reveals itself in our old-world-stylewines -- rich, dry reds with supple tannins, and crisp, dry whites with lovely acidity.Come visit us in our spacious, comfortable Tasting Room and enjoy two tasting options -- wines only, or wines paired with handcrafted chocolate truffles. Take a seat on the patio overlooking the vineyard, or in cooler weather, warm up by the fireplace inside. We offer a lite fare menu or you may bring your own picnic. We welcome groups with reservations and can accommodate limos and buses. 8 Chains North is pleased to welcome your well-behaved children and dogs.
Tallahassee, Florida
27 attraction reviews
“One of our favorites!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

This was our second visit to 8 Chains North. We love the wines and the beautiful setting...the tasting room area is spacious and charming...staff is friendly. My brother, who lives in VA, has had a club membership with 8 Chains, and has been very pleased with all the wines.

Visited August 2013

Thurmont, Maryland
17 attraction reviews
“Fine Wine and Chocolates”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Had the pleasure of stopping in at 8 Chains North with family recently while touring the wineries of Loudoun County. The tasting room is very accommodating for large groups as we had a party of 30 show up not long after our arrival. They were gracious enough to set up our party of 4 at our own little tasting bar ahead of time [and for that we thank them]. They have some very fine wines to sample and the ladies in our group had the chocolate pairing with their tasting [the men did get to sample as well]. The wines as well as the chocolates are superb. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable and it was a pleasure to stop by.

Visited September 2013
VA
34 attraction reviews
“Don't miss this one when you are out visiting wineries”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I did the first review of this winery and I need to update it. All is well here. Krista remembered us from 2 years ago and we remembered here. I hope she is working when you go there for a tasting. We did the tasting with chocolates. Oh my. What's better..the wine or the chocolate?? Both are extravagant. The red wines are memorable. The atmosphere was busy and the back patio with the new awning was perfect for the hot summer afternoon. A new fireplace! We'll be back this winter for a glass of wine and to warm up by the fire. They have baked ziti? Virginia ham sandwiches? Let's party with Krista.

Visited August 2013
Salem, Massachusetts
16 attraction reviews
“Best winery of the day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

I had out of town guests, so we spent a Friday exploring a few of the local wineries. It was my first time to 8 Chains, but it was so delightful we went back two days later with more members of our party.

Christa, the manager, is a consummate professional and a delightful host. She is full of knowledge, quick to laugh, and is refreshingly honest. The wines are tasty and well done; we ended up bringing home several bottles.

Compared to some of the more picturesque wineries (The Barns, Bluemont, Hillsborough) 8 Chains doesn't have a lot going on. But don't judge a book by its cover. The exterior may be long and non-descript., but the interior is eclectic and funky. They are trying to work with the large, open space. They incorporate a rotation of local art in their decor, which I really liked. And the outdoor/patio area looked like it has promise (it was too cold for us to go out there too much).

I very much look forward to going back several times and I will be sure to bring any guests we have there as well.

Visited March 2013
Baltimore
9 attraction reviews
“You will find several must buy wines here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Any time I pull up to 8 Chains North, I know my wine rack will be stocked. This small winery may not look majestic from the outside, but what is poured into each glass will delight you. I rarely buy more than a few bottles during each trip, but the Loco Vino, Furnance Mountain Red and Otium are some of the best Virginia wines I've had. Every employee that we have come across has been friendly and knowledgable. It is a very low key and non pressured atmosphere. Stop on in if you are in the area!

Visited November 2011