“Thinking outside of the bottle” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Baltimore, Maryland
12 attraction reviews
“Thinking outside of the bottle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013

We are big fans of Village Winery. Today we stopped by to stock up on some more boxes of wine; it was our third visit. The first time we visited this winery we stumbled upon it after visiting others in the area.

Kent likes to think outside the bottle, in fact he doesn't sell any bottled wine. It is all in boxes. He explained to us that it is more economical for both him and the customer and that it leaves a much smaller carbon footprint than bottling. The boxes are $25 each and are equivalent to 4 bottles. There are discounts on buying more boxes too. My favorites are the merlot and the apple wine. He also had Petit Verdot, Cabernet Franc and some blends of apple, elderberry and raspberry wines. At first I was skeptical about boxed wine, but its really a great concept. The wine stays fresh much longer than the bottle, so you can have several open at once and have a glass whenever.

In addition to wine there is a dairy share with a local cow, elderberry syrup, vinaigrette and tea. Kent is a very interesting and friendly guy full of tons knowledge to share. There are also some tables outside to sit at, not very fancy, but good enough for enjoying a glass of wine on a nice day.

Visited June 2013

Leesburg, Virginia
3 attraction reviews
“Different but Delish!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stopped into this place in March... there was only one other group of people in the tasting barn. The owner was very kind and personable! He tailored the tasting to my specific likes verses my husband's. So while my husband was sipping dry wines... I was sampling the sweet fruit wines. Why do I say "different?" Because they don't sell bottles-- it's all done in boxes. Boxed wine. But, I will say, despite the fact that the wine lasted for a long time in the box, I still missed the bottle. There's just something about a bottle. I can't display a box on my wine rack.

Visited March 2013
Virginia
“Nice owner, but wines not that great, IMO”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

A group of us visited this winery on a wine tour stop. The owner was very accomodating with our large group size, and was very nice. The tastings are free but donations were accepted.

Unfortunately, none of us really liked the wines. We did like the vinagrette, but the wines were either too sweet or just didn't have that great of a taste.

Visited February 2013
Chesapeake, VA
6 attraction reviews
“1st stop of the day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

Village Winery was our first stop of the day and it was well worth it! Very good wines plus the added bonus of fresh made cheese and sauces. The owner was super friendly and knowledgable. The winery is inside a old barn. I would recommend a stop to this winery if you are in the area.

Visited November 2011