“Too over the top for my taste” 3 of 5 stars

The Inn at Little Washington
Middle and Main Sts, Washington, VA 22747   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Washington B&B and Inns
chestnut hill
“Too over the top for my taste”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

okay, I know I am in a minority here, or perhaps saying what others are afraid to, but I just don't get the panache this place clearly has. Yes, the service is impeccable, but in my book it is so impeccable as to border on creepy. Who of us really needs that much attention. The decor is extravagantly eclectic, but just too too much. In addition, our room was on the second floor. I awoke throughout the night to the sounds of the people above us walking around. This is an old property and the floors creak - a lot. (I do not consider myself a light sleeper.) In addition, there is one thing that I found rather tacky -- the room charge includes breakfast, but it only includes the continental breakfast. Somehow with rates exceeding $1,000 per night one would think it would be otherwise.

Room Tip: make sure you are on the top floor given the noise of the floor boards.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
We do regret that your stay with us was not what you expected. Thank you for sharing your perspective.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

Absolutely outstanding in every detail provided.... The food truly is creative genius at work. Our four course dinner ($168 per person as it was a Thursday night) included a first, second, main and dessert. The wine list had just the right amount of variation in type and price... Plus the helpful sommelier gave good suggestions. The room (we stayed in the Mayors Cottage) was beautifully and thoughtfully decorated. Adjacent was a short walking trail around the edge of a field where we visited the vegetable garden, the hen house, the 2 llamas, and the sheep. The cutting garden and flower beds were lovely. And the staff were incredibly friendly and gracious, all giving the impression that making our stay wonderful was the most important thing in the world. Overall - a memorable experience. For me - because of the price point- it is a place mainly for special occasions.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Thank you for your kind words about your stay and our staff. We hope you’ll come visit us again.
Exton, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Fantastic service, exceptional food, lovely room! I would love to go back! The staff is wonderful, I never saw housekeeping, but every time we returned to our room, the room was straightened, clean towels were left, the bed was made or turned down, treats were left. The staff was always pleasant and ready to accommodate your every request. Afternoon tea was wonderful, dinner was extraordinary, it was certainly one of the best meals I've ever enjoyed. Breakfast is also not to be missed. We had the opportunity to see the kitchen and meet Patrick O’Connell. I bought the Refined American Cuisine Cookbook (the staff had it autographed by Patrick for me) and I’ve already made the Watermelon Tequila Soup! Can’t wait to try more recipes, including some we ate at the Inn. In addition, our room was not only lovely, it was comfortable, important for those who do not sleep well away from home! The atmosphere is very relaxing and the other guests were friendly. Overall an extraordinary experience.

Room Tip: Our room was in the main Inn and there is a flight of stairs to climb. I do not know if any of the o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
We appreciate your thoughtful review and are glad we could be a comfortable home away from home!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We had dinner at the Inn at Little Washington and it was one of the best meals of my life. The wine list is extensive and actually really interesting to go through. One thing that I really loved was the personalized menu with your name and date on it. We were giddy with excitement before each course and were blown away at the end. Next time I am going to spend the little bit more and get the nine course meal.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
We are pleased your visit to The Inn at Little Washington was memorable. Thank you for your kind review.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

Difficult to imagine that service could be better...food excellent, setting beautiful. I don't know how they did it but after we were announced at arrival the staff knew who we were and what our needs were.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your gracious compliments regarding your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
White Mountains
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We were celebrating our first anniversary and they did everything possible to make it perfect. We were treated as VIPs from the moment that we arrived. Our car was parked for us and the bags were delivered to the room and we were treated to a champagne cocktail and given a tour.

We arrived a little latter then planed and we did not want to miss tea, so I asked how late tea is served. I loved the answer. I am paraphrasing; “Whenever it would be good for you”. Everything at the inn revolves around what is best for the guest. Never the other way around. I also asked if they had a recommendation for the tipping of staff (bellman, breakfast servers and housekeepers). They gave the perfect answer once again. "Your policy is our policy". Since we had a late tea it was no problem for them to push back our dinner time. The secret to their amazing service is their big staff. Someone is always available just in case you might need something.

We stayed in the garden suite and it was amazing. The bath room could have easily graced the pages of Architectural Digest.

The dinner was absolutely fabulous. Sometimes creativity can be just weird. But here everything had a reason and all the ingredients worked in harmony to produce a superb dining experience. The service was also perfect along with the timing of each dish. Our server was both very professional but friendly and down to earth at the same time. We also enjoyed the kitchen tour.

We only stayed one night. We will be back and next time for a longer stay. I had extremely high expectations prior to arrival and I was not disappointed.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
We appreciate your kind review and wish you a Happy Anniversary. Thank you.
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Let me start by saying that I have been fortune enough to stay or eat at close to 23 Relais Chateaux properties and restaurants. They are all without a doubt wonderful, amazing and service is usually 4 to 5 star - with one exception.

The staff at the Inn at Little Washington may actually rate a 6! I have never experienced such a gracious, friendly and accommodating staff - from arriving at the front door and having luggage and our car taken swiftly off our hands to the check-in, check-out, the restaurant staff, those at the shops and everyone in between - we experienced nothing less then quiet graciousness.

When we requested that breakfast be served for 6 in our Game Keepers Cottage (the best by the way) it arrived on trays with a staff to arrange, offer to pour us coffee while setting up and rearranging to make it all fit - all being done with making us feel this was easy, seamless and what they do everyday. It was above and beyond and probably inconvenient but was done with style and smiles.

What Patrick O'Connell has achieved is a fabulous blend of gracious country home style with food and comfort for the most discriminating! I haven't even mentioned the food. The food was wonderful and filled with so many delightful surprises I can't begin to list them all here. I am still dreaming about the incredible lemon-vodka-dill sauce!

What a wonderful slice of heaven about an 1 hour and half outside of D.C. - if you can go - go and experience it yourselves!!

Room Tip: Loved the Game Keepers Cottage - Family stayed in Norman House - most impressive bathroom and additi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Inn-LittleWashington, General Manager at The Inn at Little Washington, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for your kind review.

Been to The Inn at Little Washington? Share your experiences!