“Whoa! Who'd a thunk?” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Woodbridge, Virginia
“Whoa! Who'd a thunk?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2015 NEW

It started well enough....
I was outside next to my car I'd just parked down the street, staring up at the parking signs an trying to figure out if I was about to be towed or ticketed. A voice behind me said, "You're GOOD, man!". I turned to find a smiling employee of Molly's Irish Pub in Warrenton, who had seen me from the front tables (about 30 yards away) and strolled over to put my mind to rest. Relieved, I walked towards the bar to meet my business associate/friend, anticipating that if this was indicative of the atmosphere and service, things were looking good.

I was not disappointed.

The joint looked at first glance like a reformed biker haunt. I sat with my friend at the ancient bar, the long narrow length of the rest of the restaurant stretching off behind us. The place reminded me of some of the 150+ year-old spots of New Orleans: dark wood, worn floors, atmosphere, atmosphere, atmosphere. It was about 8 PM on a Wednesday night, and the place was about 1/2 full of obviously relaxed regulars and locals, having a good time. The bar was not too noisy, clean, well-maintained despite the age; Aaron, our bartender, was polite, very efficient and knew how to pour (and I judge a bar by what they ask when you order a Guinness and Grand Marnier: If they ask if you want the GM on the rocks, be warned and keep your eyes open; if they serve the GM in a shot glass, plan to leave as soon as the college kids start to show up; if they ask if you want the GM IN THE BEER...RUN! RUN! RUN! True story. I kid you not.)

We ordered a slew of food for just two people: I was STARVED. We had hot wings (crispy, not too hot, tender), artichoke-crab dip (TON of it, and delicious garlic bread loaf to dunk), mussels (YUM! Plump, big and delicious.....great dunking bread for the juice, too!), a mushroom -Swiss burger (had tiny dollop of BBQ sauce in it, which I thought I wouldn't like-WRONG! delicious an cooked to order, beautiful home-made bun) and Caesar salad (Fresh, plentiful....no skimping on the cheese...but, hey...it's just a salad).

The food was EXCELLENT for bar fare. I mean EXCELLENT. The prices (being VERY reasonable) made me expect something a little more mundane (which I don't mind, but....) . We left the plates SPOTLESS.

A trip to the head revealed a nice, clean place....again, sometimes not always so in an old building...with a toilet I'd let my mother use.

After while, they had some local talent playing acoustic guitar (Grateful Dead---another surprise), and some talented locals joined in...I can only imagine what this place is like on Saturday night....

Maybe not a place for kids....perhaps for lunch. 2 and 3-spot cocktail tables and few others, but long, ample bar. I had a WONDERFUL time. GO.

• Visited April 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Washington D.C.
“Great fun and good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

We have been here too many times to count. Love everything that I have had here from sandwiches to bangers anfd mash. It is also kid friendly and they are very accomidating with coloring sheets and crayons. The staff has always been great.

Visited March 2015
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Surprise find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

Had bangers and mash first time-very tasty. Nice selection of handles. Wines a little limited. Chicken brie sandwich amazing.
Great service for a busy Friday night. Staff really hustles.

Visited March 2015
Stafford, Virginia
“Not a good Meal”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015

My wife and I stopped at Molly's on Sat 2/28 it was crowded but we were seated,We have eaten here several times and we like the PUB atmosphere because my wife is Irish but last night we both had Fish and Chips and it was terrible,The fish was soggy with oil and had no taste and the chips were the same,The service was 0k. I was extremely disappointed and wanted to see a manager but do to the crowd i did not want to make a scene so we paid the bill and left $51.00 for bad food My wife was up all night with stomach pains,We are done with Molly,s

• Visited February 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bealeton, Virginia
“Decent pub food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2015

We have visited Molly's repeatedly over the years. They offer satisfying food and drinks. I never go to be "blown away" by the cuisine and that's fine by me. When I want comfort food and a cold beer this is the place. Nice bar scene if that is what you want.

• Visited January 2015