“Love the Decor!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Warrenton B&B and Inns
Fairfax, Virginia
“Love the Decor!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

The staff is super nice, they even helped my husband plan my birthday weekend. They suggested dinner places and winaries to attend. They are all so nice, and the place it so lovely. The room was clean and we had out owe fire place, it was just great!

-lots of stink bugs but i think its bc its an older house and its in the medows

Room Tip: Get a fire place in your room if you can opt to. It makes for a much more romantic time
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

76 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I were gifted a one-night's stay at the Black Horse Inn. After a day full of winery tours we arrived to the Black Horse Inn. We were greeted by the innkeeper and shown our room. I agree with a few of the other reviews that the innkeeper seemed a bit frazzled. She was very nice but just a bit all over the place.

We stayed in the Burgundy Room which was nice but you could hear the rooms around you and every time someone was in the hall (however, we did not see/hear any ghosts!). The room itself was cozy but I felt as though the bathroom could have been updated a bit. Breakfast was good and the server was very sweet.

In a nutshell, the Inn is nice. They do have some small nice touches, but they just don't go above and beyond.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you're looking for a relaxing, romantic and historic environment, look no further -- this is the place! My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Black Horse Inn. Our room was just perfect -- we had a corner room in one of the oldest sections of the inn. It was cozy and the working stone fireplace was just an added plus. Stephanie (the inn keeper) was so helpful and accommodating throughout our stay. The breakfasts were delicious and served at the time we requested in the gorgeous dining room. Later in the evening, it was just so relaxing to either retreat to the Library or our room by the fire and pick up a book and read about all the history the Inn and the area has to offer. We will definitely head back to the Black Horse Inn -- it's a keeper!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Ashland, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

This was our first stay at The Black Horse Inn and it was superb! The room and decor was beautiful, the bed the most cozy I've ever slept on and the breakfast was delicious. There are so many sitting rooms with fire places, wine and cheese and gorgeous views. The staff were wonderful, especially Stephanie, and hopefully we will be able to take our horses the next time we go. The barn has nice big stalls and the paddocks had nice clean run-in sheds. We will definitely be back!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I visited the Inn for Valentine's weekend. Our hostess was so pleasant and thoughtful.She arranged dinner reservations and a taxi. We enjoyed wine and cheese by the fire. Our room was delightful and very clean. Breakfast was served w
Hot and on time. We even got invited to the ballroom for a lunch with one of their wedding caters! The cat even gave us a special escort around the estate. It was special Valentine's with fresh made chocolate covered strawberries! Thank you Black Horse Inn we will be back!

Room Tip: All were nice we got a tour of them all
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have recently stayed at the Black Horse Inn it's a beautiful Civil War Inn. The room I was staying in was something I would say perfect. In the morning we came down for breakfast and sat down at the table and waited for our food to be served, we ate a very nice breakfast. The eggs, sausage, and fruit were very good. The innkeeper was very kind and generous to all the guest. The staff was very polite and helpful. When we went out to town the housekeepers cleaned our room we came back and it was spot less it looked as The first time we entered the room. I really recommend this Inn to all that want a nice relaxing hotel in Virginia.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

The Black Horse Inn

I recently visited the Black Horse Inn for a long weekend in Virginia Wine Country with another couple. Overall the Inn was very charming, and we had an enjoyable visit. Would I come back again? Maybe, but definitely not for the price they are currently charging.

Quick Pros:
• Friendly/caring staff
• Charming room and beautiful historic building
• Great location and proximity to local vineyards

Quick Cons:
• Breakfast offers no selection in what is served
• Food/wine at cocktail hour is just so-so
• Innkeeper was scattered, and at times too comfortable/personal with guests
• Overall they need to refine their process and incorporate “extra little touches” to accomplish the high-end feel they are advertising

Rooms
We arrived in the early evening and were delighted by the charm of the old Civil War building. We were greeted by the innkeeper who while very nice and welcoming, was quite frazzled and seemed a bit overwhelmed. She showed us the first couple’s room and gave them their key, which was on the dresser. Next we all went to our room, which was the Jeffersonian. It was a lovely room with a very comfortable queen size four-poster bed, a claw foot tub and a great view of the stables and front yard where we often saw the horses grazing. The problem however, was that the innkeeper neglected to mention that the thermostat (which controlled all four rooms in our wing) was in the hallway. Someone had turned it off so we had no heat that night and we thought were going to freeze to death! The other issue was that unlike the other couple, we had no room key on our dresser. I didn’t ask for it right away because we were being given a tour of the building and the innkeeper seemed so frantic I almost felt bad asking her for anything. I forgot about it until the next morning when we were about to leave for the day. When I mentioned it at breakfast I was a little surprised when she inferred I had lost it but I said nothing and she gave me the spare key. Also, for an inn that claims to be high-end, there were not a lot of amenities, or really even the basics you find in other hotel/inns. We had no water bottles in the room, and the soaps, which to me were not very luxurious, were not replaced after use and there were no water glasses in the bathroom. I also did not care for the “tip” envelope left out for the maid, especially given that I do not believe they changed our sheets/towels but rather just refolded them. That being said, I really did like our room and thought it was very comfortable and would enjoy staying in that room again, especially now that I know where the temperature control is!

Breakfast
Breakfast here was really not enjoyable. The inn claimed several times to have gourmet food, and we read dozens of excellent reviews online. However, we did not agree with what we read – while there was certainly an abundance of food, it was not appetizing to us, or what we consider to be fine dining. The first issue was that breakfast isn’t served until 9am. For those of us who are early risers, it was a bit annoying. It would have been nice if coffee and bread/pastries/fruit were set up early for those who wanted to eat before 9am. There was a Keurig (but often the water was empty), as well as some cold cereal, but no milk set out.

The other problem was that you do not have a choice in what you are served. It is not a continental/buffet breakfast where you have a selection of several items set out on the table (such as fruit, cereal, eggs, meats etc.). Instead, you are served whatever the kitchen is preparing that day and if you don’t care for it, there are no other options (and there is no menu so you have no idea what that will be until its served). The first day we were served a plate of store bought pastries and muffins. This was fine, but again not gourmet nor what you expect from a charming B&B. Home made muffins or scones would have added a level of sophistication to the meal, for not much extra effort. The second course was a baked apple stuffed with cinnamon and sugar. Unfortunately, it was very undercooked and hard to eat. The next course was an egg casserole with peppers and spinach. Two of ours were completely cold and another in our group detests peppers so most of us went hungry that day. The next day we had warm grapefruit, which was nice, (although really did not need the brown sugar loaded on top!) followed by French toast and sausage. The French toast was made of two slices of bread stuck together to make it look thicker. Unfortunately, this meant that the eggs in between the slices did not cook and were raw and unappetizing. Mine was also cold again. It was upsetting to see how much food was unnecessarily wasted because we didn’t’ t like it.

We were also taken aback when one of our party members requested a couple of scrambled eggs as he did not care for the option being served, and the response was “we can’t do custom orders that’s why we asked you the night before if you have food allergies.” Well, they never did ask us that, and while we don’t have allergies, we didn’t think it was an unreasonable request given that there were only 4 other guests and they had already been served.

I think a better option would be to serve a buffet so that guests can help themselves to what they prefer. Having an egg/protein and pancake/waffle option in addition to some cold cereal, fruit, hard boiled eggs and meat/cheeses would likely appeal to most people.

Cocktail Hour
In the evening, there was a simple cocktail hour, which was nice. It was your basic cheddar cheese and crackers, some Valentine’s Day sweets, inexpensive wine and a fridge with waters and sodas. We enjoyed sitting with a glass of wine in the porch and talking with one another, however the food was lack luster and the wine served was lower end from a large bottle (as the innkeeper implied she did not have time to open so many regular size bottles). The fridge was almost never stocked either, I twice went for a diet coke only to find none. Again, if they are touting themselves as gourmet, homemade cookies and a gourmet cheese selection would add ever so much more to the presentation. I also think real plates versus paper would give a higher-end feel. Another suggestion would be to invite local winery representatives to come in at cocktail hour to serve their wines (thus negating the innkeepers need to open so many bottles), and have bottles available for purchase. We saw this done in Napa and it was very well received and provided great exposure for local wineries. We are wine enthusiasts and were there to visit several local wineries so enjoying wine from a local vineyard would have been much more appealing than the average quality wine served. We also ran out of wine glasses at one cocktail hour and they couldn’t seem to find any more. Because the innkeeper was so frantic looking for glasses, we were asked to open the bottle of wine ourselves. Also, while she was sitting with us during the cocktail hour (which if she was so busy I don’t know how she had time to do) we felt that she was a little too personal with us and actually badmouthed another guest, which we found distasteful.

Throughout the day there was always music playing in the background that was nice at first, however the playlist was too short and rather eclectic (everything from Adele to classical Mozart) so by the end of the weekend we had heard each song a dozen times.

Overall
Overall we had a nice time at the inn, but found it to be lacking in the little touches that separate high-end from average (and again, they were claiming to be high-end). While they did seem to genuinely care about their guests, they just weren’t quite getting it right and really did not seem open to any of the suggestions.

I think that the Black Horse Inn has the potential to be a really great B&B, but they need to fine-tune their process, amp up their professionalism, research standard practices of other hotels and inns and be open to suggestions from guests. As it stands now, I would only stay here again if the prices were about half of what they are charging.

Room Tip: Do not stay in "A room with a view." It was an attic so the ceilings are slanted and you h...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Black Horse Inn? Share your experiences!